Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
I forgot I had this :). Not really, just didnt' think of it in terms of vintage until I saw someone mention 1975.

My bosses dad gave me this and the cabinet it came it, right before his wife died 2 years ago. He died a month later.

At the time I messed with it a little and couldnt' get a decent stitch so I put it away. I kept trying to find information but i keep coming up blank.

A couple months ago I got her out and cleaned the bobbin area and oiled her really good. Messed with her all night and finally got her humming and producing and awesome stitch! This led me on a search again and somehow I found this virtual vintage shop :)

The receipt says 9/18/1973 (YES, I have his original receipt!) and I do not know if he bought it new or used. I'm guessing new. It is a Domestic 816 Green. The S/N is 2111. I can't find a manual on THIS model :(

Anybody know any thing more about it?
Well, here is all I came up with. I enjoy the research part of the machines. Read to the end of the piece about White's green machines. http://www.sewalot.com/domestic%20sewing%20machine.htm

Melinda
Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Tammy, very cute little white FW. What year is it? I have two white FW's - both 1964.

Nancy

My white featherweight is also from 1964...it seems everyone I've talked to about these white 221's has one from 1964. Anyone have one manufactured in a different year? Just curious.[/quote]

I have two white FW and one is dated July 22, 1963 the other is March 3, 1964.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well, the machine I bought off of e-bay arrived. This is my first and probably last time buying a sewing machine off of e-bay. I had asked the seller to use lots of foam peanuts around the machine and case. He used none. Shipped with no packing. This is the way it arrived - even in the post office they knew by the way it sounded - the cardboard box was all crushed.
Nancy
That is sad, sad. The decals really look nice.
Nancy sorry to hear about the machine. Hope you will get your money back.
I won a 30l in a case and when it arrived and I opened the latches the case fell apart. Machine was ok just 2 bent thread guides but DH fixed them. The seller refunded part of the money enought to get another case which we did.

We got a machine from Tomilu and didn't think we were going to find it she packed it so well. Arrived in great shape. Thanks Tomilu

:thumbup:
Old 04-05-2011, 05:24 AM

We have found a great packing product. Airplane parts are packed in sheets of a plastic product that has layers. We just peel off to the thickness we need and cut to fit. Makes packing much easier and faster. We can get it at the airplane plant yard sale they have each week. It comes free in the wooden boxes we get for $1 each. A friend uses the boxes to cut up and heat his shop with.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 AM

A new friend has a celery FW in the case she is wanting to sell. When I get it, I will take pics and post to the classifieds. She is a single mom who needs the money, so I said I'd help her find a buyer. I may get it this am.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Well, the machine I bought off of e-bay arrived. This is my first and probably last time buying a sewing machine off of e-bay. I had asked the seller to use lots of foam peanuts around the machine and case. He used none. Shipped with no packing. This is the way it arrived - even in the post office they knew by the way it sounded - the cardboard box was all crushed.

So much for having a machine that says "made in occupied Japan." I will hold out for one locally.

Billy do you know where I can get, or do you have the hinges (that are completely broken) that hold the machine in the case?

Nancy
What a complete idiot... But the machine itself looks okay. If you can get it installed into a nice appropriate cabinet you may still have a great beauty there. I would definitely demand money back for the destroyed base.

No telling what our old Singers have all been through in the hands of owners like this. They are tanks, tho, and hard to destroy.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962

Well, here is all I came up with. I enjoy the research part of the machines. Read to the end of the piece about White's green machines. http://www.sewalot.com/domestic%20sewing%20machine.htm

Melinda
Yeah, i found that article too. It's kind of confusing to me though because it implies none were made after 1950 and I really didn't think this machine was that old.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 AM

Yipeeeeeee - Billy page 900!

Well, I e-mailed the ebay seller yesterday. He said he "ships a lot of electronics and machines and packs them very well." What an idiot. This will happen again if he is selling sewing machines. He put it in a cardboard box with a little paper, taped it up very little and sent it! I am going to leave him with negative feedback.

On the bright side, we found some hinges so if DH can rebuild the cabinet the machine will be ok. I need to find the patch stuff that Billy uses to fix the machine gouges, but this machine is salvagable -- just going to take work. If the machine could be used free standing, I wouldn't worry about the case - since it is a 99 clone it has to sit in something to use. Still it is a cute little machine.

Nancy
Old 04-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Banned

Yipeeeeeee - Billy page 900!

Nancy
Yea!! Its hard to believe it has made it this far. If it were not for you guys it would never have taken off and done so well. I am glad you all feel at home here!

But I am sorry I havent been in the shop in a while, today is really the first day I felt like doing anything as simple as to get on the computer. The entire house has an upper respiratory infection including all of my dogs. :roll: It has been all I can do just to answer a few PM's here and there.

I have been running a fever and feel like I have been hit by a truck. I have coughed so hard for so long that my chest is sore from it. But I am going to try and jump into the shower (its been a few days) and get a few things in the mail for my customers and come home and try to rest a little more. Maybe tomorrow I can get back out to the studio and get some more repaints and services done.

I am going to have to jump back about 20 pages to start to catch up on everything. :lol:

Billy
Old 04-05-2011, 06:43 AM

Billy, sorry to hear you're so under the weather. I had that and it is like whooping cough where you cough so hard you can't get your breath! Do take care of yourselves and the dogs too and you will enjoy all the new machines that you have missed on here.