Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

I own several machines that are more than 25 years old, and was wondering where to start finding info on some of them. some I actually have book with, but some I have nothing but the machine!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
how OLD does a vintage machine need to be?
Usually 1960 is the cut off but lets face it there were lots of great machines made after that! So I would say around 1975ish before all of the computer crap was added to them. But if you look there are machines in the 1860's going through the mid 1970's. That is quite the spread in years and you can almost see the machines developing through the years.

Billy
Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 PM

What a beautiful machine! Awesome little machine.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 PM

Hi Billy, Just wanted to let you know that I found another 301 at my favorite thrift store last week. It cost me 9.95, I will set it next to the 503 I bought a month ago for 12.95. They look cute setting next to each other. Have a great New Year!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

Jacquie you are always welcome here and if there is a way to help you we will find it! Everyone is family in the shop!!!!

Billy
Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

Jacquie you are always welcome here and if there is a way to help you we will find it! Everyone is family in the shop!!!!

Billy
Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

when I first moved here, like the WEEK I moved here, 3 blocks up was an estate sale...at the home of the oldest SINGER repair man/ dealer in the state of OK!

There were over 300 machines for sale that weekend...and just as I had convinced DH to let me buy all that was left, they had sold them to the scrap metal man....I cried for 3 days knowing what had just happened to all of the lovely ladies!

I did get a nice surprise in the sewing cabinet I bought for $6.00, it has a vintage pfaff in it...probably a 70's model,,I have not even cleaned completely in the 5 years is has been sitting in that cabinet in my sewing room...reason is my Elna sits on top! I do have the book and attachments for it though..still in the drawers like when I bought it
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

OH, but I did buy several of those tool sorting cabinets, you know like for screws and such...they are FULL of parts for vintage singer machines...even treadles!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I just started a thread for my broken machine treasure -- my daughter and I found one of the "curbside specials", and while the table was a little scratched up (I can fix that!), the machine was in phenomenally clean condition! Had all the stitch wheel attachments and tools with it, too! (plus a couple vintage sewing tools that I will treasure forever).

It started stitching backward (the feeddogs are running backward we surmise) but the reverse mode is not engaged. Not sure what happened? 12-y.o. daughter and I cleaned the dustbunnies off it, and literally carried it a few blocks home... what a find for her to have a personal machine.

What on earth would make a machine start "running backward"? It's an Elgin Model #2468, and I'd so love to get it running for her, I don't trust her with my good Husq's.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
when I first moved here, like the WEEK I moved here, 3 blocks up was an estate sale...at the home of the oldest SINGER repair man/ dealer in the state of OK!

There were over 300 machines for sale that weekend...and just as I had convinced DH to let me buy all that was left, they had sold them to the scrap metal man....I cried for 3 days knowing what had just happened to all of the lovely ladies!

I did get a nice surprise in the sewing cabinet I bought for $6.00, it has a vintage pfaff in it...probably a 70's model,,I have not even cleaned completely in the 5 years is has been sitting in that cabinet in my sewing room...reason is my Elna sits on top!
I think I am going to cry for the next 3 days myself. :cry:

Billy