Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 900 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 400 800 850 890 899 900 901 910 950 1000 1400 ... LastLast
Results 22,476 to 22,500 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #22476
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif

    I had a blast at the Mini TOGA in June. Cathy was the host for that event. She has a house load of machines, and her garage is way cool since it is full of thousands of parts and two of those Singer 29-?K machines for boot/hat work! She showed me how those machines work. It was fun seeing everyone's work and special treasures that they brought to show and tell. Lots of interesting and different machines to drool over during a TOGA.

    I will be teaching how to make simple sewing machine covers for vintage machines.

    Well, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!!!
    I can't wait to meet you all!! It's gonna be so much fun just putting faces and names together. Are we going to be sewing the machine covers?

    Edit....OK, now I see that we will. Can't wait!!!

  2. #22477
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I think I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket...lol. I decided to give my 66 Redeye a spin and darned if even her tension is looking good today! I SUCK at setting tension and this old gal and the tan 301 have been real burdens to me. They pretty much made me realize I do NOT enjoy working on the old machines, but I DO love to sew on them :). So I am sitting here sewing quilt blocks going back and forth between the two and enjoying this great event..hahaha...for it may not last!
    http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...Singer_301.htm
    some tension info - I'm thinking I had a 301 that had tension issues until I took it apart, cleaned it of goo and rust and reassembled. I also read that you should have the pressure foot lever down when you adjust so the tension pin is in the right place.

    Thanks for this link. I printed it out so I can have DH check the tension unit on my 301. It sews, but the tension is very much off, as I have it set at 0 and it's still some tight.

  3. #22478
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    I would grab this machine in a heartbeat. It looks to be in good condition, AND it has a handcrank style that's hard to find. Unfortunately, I'm a couple thousand miles away, otherwise I would have it in my hands now. (Yes, I would name her Harriyt. Or Helyn.)
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste
    Also, I'd like to ask your opinion on a few other machines on craigslist.

    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2542724366.html
    This one has some interesting decals. I have seen this decal (Greek motif) somewhere once when looking at machine decals, but I can't recall where right now. But not on a Singer VS2. I don't think this was the original decals, looks like decals for different time period, 30's or 40's.

  4. #22479
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,394
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    I think I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket...lol. I decided to give my 66 Redeye a spin and darned if even her tension is looking good today! I SUCK at setting tension and this old gal and the tan 301 have been real burdens to me. They pretty much made me realize I do NOT enjoy working on the old machines, but I DO love to sew on them :). So I am sitting here sewing quilt blocks going back and forth between the two and enjoying this great event..hahaha...for it may not last!
    http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...Singer_301.htm
    some tension info - I'm thinking I had a 301 that had tension issues until I took it apart, cleaned it of goo and rust and reassembled. I also read that you should have the pressure foot lever down when you adjust so the tension pin is in the right place.

    Thanks for this link. I printed it out so I can have DH check the tension unit on my 301. It sews, but the tension is very much off, as I have it set at 0 and it's still some tight.
    remember to adjust with the pressure foot DOWN

  5. #22480
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,394
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif

    I had a blast at the Mini TOGA in June. Cathy was the host for that event. She has a house load of machines, and her garage is way cool since it is full of thousands of parts and two of those Singer 29-?K machines for boot/hat work! She showed me how those machines work. It was fun seeing everyone's work and special treasures that they brought to show and tell. Lots of interesting and different machines to drool over during a TOGA.

    I will be teaching how to make simple sewing machine covers for vintage machines.

    Well, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!!!
    I can't wait to meet you all!! It's gonna be so much fun just putting faces and names together. Are we going to be sewing the machine covers?

    Edit....OK, now I see that we will. Can't wait!!!
    Well, I am so bummed out. I want to be there too... And I want to make a cover.

  6. #22481
    Super Member fabric whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    Posts
    1,120
    hey everyone, ready to tackle cleanup on my 66 (she's pretty clean, just wanted to spitshine her) ~ I cannot remember, is it the Scotts Liquid Gold for the Japan black areas? its the head I'm doing a surface spitshine to ~ she's a Redeye 66 :) and she's pretty! Oh, and what on the wood?

  7. #22482
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Liquid gold for the final polish on the japan finish.

    Billy

    Quote Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
    hey everyone, ready to tackle cleanup on my 66 (she's pretty clean, just wanted to spitshine her) ~ I cannot remember, is it the Scotts Liquid Gold for the Japan black areas? its the head I'm doing a surface spitshine to ~ she's a Redeye 66 :) and she's pretty! Oh, and what on the wood?

  8. #22483
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    192
    Got these in one of the treadles. Thought that someone might enjoy.

    hemstitcher
    Name:  Attachment-243171.jpe
Views: 65
Size:  24.7 KB

    instructions for hemstitcher
    Name:  Attachment-243172.jpe
Views: 69
Size:  45.9 KB

    embroidery clip
    Name:  Attachment-243174.jpe
Views: 63
Size:  21.1 KB

    instructions for clip
    Name:  Attachment-243175.jpe
Views: 64
Size:  34.7 KB

  9. #22484
    Super Member Quilt Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Headed home
    Posts
    2,417
    I saw at a local thrift store a Necchi Alco sewing machine. It looked a little lonely, but I wanted to get some input on the machine before considering buying it. The machine seemed clean, the cabinet was in so-so condition. Usually at this particular store, they test appliances before putting them on the floor, so I think it runs. No plate to cover the bobbin area. No bobbin. No manual. It does have the cord & pedal. There is some kind of double plug-in on the pedal cord. Anyone know why that might be? (Sorry, no pictures.)

  10. #22485
    Super Member fabric whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Liquid gold for the final polish on the japan finish.
    Billy, will that take off any dirt/gunk layers too (liquid gold)? Or do I clean with something else first, then shine with LG? And what is best for using on the wood to brighten/clean it a little? Her cabinet is in really pretty good condition.

    She lived in FL by Pensacola for the last 10 years, there is a slight "film" I am assuming is seasalt residue just from the humid air? Any idea how to get that off of the irons? Its only on the irons, luckily :)

  11. #22486
    Member jan on 446's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MI's Beautiful Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    91
    I wonder who will post to page 1500!

  12. #22487
    Member jan on 446's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MI's Beautiful Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    91
    I sure thought I'd end on page 1499!
    Jan on 446

  13. #22488
    Junior Member justtrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish
    I give up what does toga mean?
    TOGA=Treadle On Gathering and Academy
    Thank you. I am still a newbie!

  14. #22489
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    I am so excited!! I had gotten a monogrammer and templates from goodwill.com and had to get a machine to make it work, a very specific Kenmore, and blessings of blessings, my mom had bought one at a garage sale for $2 that we had used for parts. I had to put the tension back on, and the spool pin, and such, but it would still not zig zag to make the monograms. I finally said, well I have 40 more machines that straight stitch, so what the he**, and ripped into it. A bar was frozen up that my husband helped me free up, and it works. Now I can put my initials on my quilts before I give them away. Hooray!!!!

    Congrats on making 1500 pages, Mr. Billy!!

  15. #22490
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City area
    Posts
    695
    I saw people posting about a TOGA in California and I was wondering if anyone here was planning on attending the River Rats TOGA in Lake City Minnesota in mid September. I've recently given in to my long-standing attraction to vintage machines. I bought a Singer 27/3 treadle a few years back but have only used it a little. I also have two Featherweights I use for piecing, and I recently bought two Singer 99s (at least one is getting a hand crank conversion). I also picked up a lovely Universal (a Japanese Singer 15 "clone" that I'm planning on using as a "project" machine. My husband is really interested in learning how to repair vintage machines, and we're planning on attending all 4 days of the RRTOGA.

    Pam

  16. #22491
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Clean it with Go Jo non pumice then you follow up with the LG. just use cottonballs and paper towels for the Go Jo cleaning.

    Billy

    Quote Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Liquid gold for the final polish on the japan finish.
    Billy, will that take off any dirt/gunk layers too (liquid gold)? Or do I clean with something else first, then shine with LG? And what is best for using on the wood to brighten/clean it a little? Her cabinet is in really pretty good condition.

    She lived in FL by Pensacola for the last 10 years, there is a slight "film" I am assuming is seasalt residue just from the humid air? Any idea how to get that off of the irons? Its only on the irons, luckily :)

  17. #22492
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Yeah we made it to 1500 pages!!! Congratulations to everyone that made it the great place it is today!!

    Billy

  18. #22493
    Super Member amyjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    18
    Gee, all the info in here and now I can't find what I wanted. I have a click witht he hook assembly on my Singer 15-91. How do I fix it without taking it to a repairman? Thanks.

  19. #22494
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    192
    DD picked this up for me a couple weeks ago, 1 of 2 - Lakeshore.
    $30
    Attached Images Attached Images



  20. #22495
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by lee231
    DD picked this up for me a couple weeks ago, 1 of 2 - Lakeshore.
    Beautiful machine and cabinet. Kathie

  21. #22496
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    192
    DD picked this up at an auction, 2 of 2 Minnesota 'B'
    $20 Today she inform me that she spotted a National Two Spool for $30, will have to go look at that one, she says it in rough shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images



  22. #22497
    Super Member Crossstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,059
    Blog Entries
    7
    lee231
    Both machines are really pretty. They don't look as if they will be needing a lot of cleaning and cabinet work. Have fun sewing on them.

  23. #22498
    Super Member gramquilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    6,180
    Wow, 1500 pages, hard to believe!

  24. #22499
    Senior Member grayhare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    330
    I found this interesting.
    http://www.mysingerstory.com/

  25. #22500

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    103
    Blog Entries
    3
    I have enjoyed all of these postings and it has helped me with all my collection thank you for starting this and l know it will go for much much longer
    Elsie Blight Australia

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.