Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 852 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 352 752 802 842 851 852 853 862 902 952 1352 ... LastLast
Results 21,276 to 21,300 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pennijanine
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare
    http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2523182569.html
    Take a look at this, it must have been buried somewhere.
    I got this one!!! If fit in my purse! LOL I figured it would be a way to use Billy's cleaning tutorial. It is very heavy and a chain stitcher. It is frozen up, so will be getting onto the cleaning soom. :roll:
    Penni, congratulations! I can't wait to see that little machine after you get her shined up!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Cross everything you can for me...have an email out to someone selling an A.G. Mason "New Florence" treadle machine...am hoping beyond hope that they haven't sold it yet...it's freakin GORGEOUS!! A.G. Mason was a subsidiary company of White...so while many refer to the machine as a "White" is technically is not...
    Charlee congratulations! I too have never seen a treadle cabinet with decals! Beautiful! I am so glad you got that machine and cabinet!

Brandy, you did an awesome job on the White! That machine is something to be proud of for sure!

Candace, the 301 is one machine I don't have. Congratulations on your new 301!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuilterGary
    My fingers are sore. I bought 2 FW from EBAY awhile back and just getting around to cleaning them up. The first one was not to bad a couple of hours I it cleaned up and sewing like a champ. The second one was a different story. I used the Goop method and thought my DW had bought defective Goop. I rubed and rubed thought I had it cleaned then rubed some more. After about four hours the rags are staying clean, I didn't think there could be that much gunk on a FW. I put it back together wind a bobbin works great. I start to sew and it seems to run about half speed. Anyway I was hot and tired so I will let the oil soak in and try later. Any one have any sugestions as to the speed? I checked the brushes they are fine. I will look at it again tonight if it is not too hot.
    Gary you need to get a flashlight, take the bottom plate off, turn the machine upside down and really check in and all around the bobbin, hook/race, everything. Those FW's were made so small and precise that a hair, usually it is thread, can cause them to really slow down or quit sewing entirely! Ask me how I know!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandyMcCoy
    These are two of my many machines...
    Here is the White after I followed Billy's tutorial on how to clean them
    Wow Brandy....it looks like it is brand new!!! Wow!!! Wow!!!

Can you tell I'm very impressed???? :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful
    Can't wait to hear (read) comments about this. I bought a So-Fro by Singer (do I hear a groan??) at half price day in Goodwill. Paid $2.50 for it!! I cleaned it up, oiled a couple spots, took it apart twice to figure out the fancy stitches and a few other buttons I couldn't understand (no book or ANyTHING came with it) and it sews beautifully!! Every stictch works (if you know what buttons to turn, LOL!) The ONLY problem I have with it is: If I don't hold my finger weight on the spool of thread it will suck it in like gang busters, and it's all on the under side of the material. Big loops of it!! It's all threaded correctly (someone owned this machine to learn on cuz it's numbered in marker 1, 2, 3, etc. and written in marker is Bobbin - counter clockwise. Cute. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what to weight the spool down with to keep it from being pulled in too fast. The spool holder doesn't come out of the top of the spool or I would try some washers. Any ideas??
    I think I remember a while back someone calling these machines "Sew and Throw". Why....this really does sew nicely, today!!
    Randa, I'd certainly of paid $2.50 for that machine! What year is it? The Singer 'Touch and Sew' is the one referred to as the Touch and Throw among other things! Those Touch and Throws had plastic feed dogs among other things! I'd never heard of a So Fro!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Cross everything you can for me...have an email out to someone selling an A.G. Mason "New Florence" treadle machine...am hoping beyond hope that they haven't sold it yet...it's freakin GORGEOUS!! A.G. Mason was a subsidiary company of White...so while many refer to the machine as a "White" is technically is not...
    WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's mine...I go to get her on Weds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~happy dance~
    Congrats, Charlee!!! Wow...another gorgeous machine.

Blog Entries
    Is anyone going after this? OK, now I see that you did!! Wow.....another Wow!!! Can't wait to see what it comes out as.

Blog Entries
    I got it. I will post some pics in a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace

Candace how does the 185K sound when you sew on it? Is it loud, groany sounding? There is a gal that comes to our Girl's Night Out with a 185K that sounds terrible, but sews really nice. By the way, really nice machine. I love the way those 185's look!

Nancy

Nancy, no my 185K machine doesn't make any groaning. It sounds like your friend's machine needs to be cleaned and oiled. Or maybe the belt is going bad. I cleaned and oiled mine and no noises that strike me as odd, or loud. My recent 301A acquisition(not yet posted a photo), had this exact groaning problem. It took me a while but I oiled and greased it then oiled and greased it some more and the groaning went away. So, to me, in any vintage model it sounds like the groaning is the machine's way of telling the owner it's very 'thirsty'. Hope this helps!
    Well, deep cleaning and oiling is what I'd do, but the machine does not belong to me. The gal that owns it said she has oiled and oiled the machine, but it sounds terrible - a sound that I would not be able to tolerate long - it would bug me too much. I just wanted to make sure there was no quirk with the 185 that makes that groaning sound.

Thank you for answering me.

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Picked this up for a friend. Looks like a commercial version of the 130. Pretty neat treadle. Anyone seen a 130 like this?
    Tommie
    Tommie, I wish you lived closer to me! I'd take that Pfaff treadle in a second! I have not even seen one in person yet!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Oh here is my new machine I just have to pick it up when the young lady gets home Tuesday. I will post photos of it when I get it home, but it is a Wilcox and Gibbs industrial. Good thing I have about 6000 needles for this one!! :P

Billy
    Billy please post a better picture when you get this machine home. It looks similar (except the HW) to one from our Craigslist that I am trying to get to see.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/hsh/2517149361.html

Nancy

Blog Entries
    http://kpr.craigslist.org/art/2524346546.html

If I didn't already own a great one of these 401A machines, I would go for this one.

Charlee... it is just a wee bit of a drive for you... (tryin' to enable as best I can). (:| who me??)

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles

Candace how does the 185K sound when you sew on it? Is it loud, groany sounding? There is a gal that comes to our Girl's Night Out with a 185K that sounds terrible, but sews really nice. By the way, really nice machine. I love the way those 185's look!

Nancy

Nancy, no my 185K machine doesn't make any groaning. It sounds like your friend's machine needs to be cleaned and oiled. Or maybe the belt is going bad. I cleaned and oiled mine and no noises that strike me as odd, or loud. My recent 301A acquisition(not yet posted a photo), had this exact groaning problem. It took me a while but I oiled and greased it then oiled and greased it some more and the groaning went away. So, to me, in any vintage model it sounds like the groaning is the machine's way of telling the owner it's very 'thirsty'. Hope this helps!
    Well, deep cleaning and oiling is what I'd do, but the machine does not belong to me. The gal that owns it said she has oiled and oiled the machine, but it sounds terrible - a sound that I would not be able to tolerate long - it would bug me too much. I just wanted to make sure there was no quirk with the 185 that makes that groaning sound.

Thank you for answering me.

Nancy
    No problem! If she is oiling it, she very well may not be oiling it correctly. Or in the spot where it's needing it most. That would annoy the heck out of me too. Or it needs the lubricant rather than the oil in a spot or two.

These are two of my many machines...
    Here is the White after I followed Billy's tutorial on how to clean them
    Wow, I've got a White waiting in the queue, but I don't think it's going to look as great! Very nice.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's mine...I go to get her on Weds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~happy dance~
    Sweet! Love the cabinet.

Blog Entries
    My fingers are sore. I bought 2 FW from EBAY awhile back and just getting around to cleaning them up. The first one was not to bad a couple of hours I it cleaned up and sewing like a champ. The second one was a different story. I used the Goop method and thought my DW had bought defective Goop. I rubed and rubed thought I had it cleaned then rubed some more. After about four hours the rags are staying clean, I didn't think there could be that much gunk on a FW. I put it back together wind a bobbin works great. I start to sew and it seems to run about half speed. Anyway I was hot and tired so I will let the oil soak in and try later. Any one have any sugestions as to the speed? I checked the brushes they are fine. I will look at it again tonight if it is not too hot.
    Gary you need to get a flashlight, take the bottom plate off, turn the machine upside down and really check in and all around the bobbin, hook/race, everything. Those FW's were made so small and precise that a hair, usually it is thread, can cause them to really slow down or quit sewing entirely! Ask me how I know!

Nancy
    The rest of the story: As I said it was hot as the sun set the sun kept shinning into the garage door. I kept moving back into the garage but ran out of shade. Well the hot sun was direct on me as well as the FW, being black the machine was hot to the touch and as said I was tired and I quit working. I latter thought that the heat might have expanded the machine causing the problem. I came home to night the garage was hot but the sun was not shinning on it. I pluged it in and it sewed perfectly. Another lesson learned. But my fingers are still sore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    http://kpr.craigslist.org/art/2524346546.html

If I didn't already own a great one of these 401A machines, I would go for this one.

Charlee... it is just a wee bit of a drive for you... (tryin' to enable as best I can). (:| who me??)
    Linda, behave yourself!! William's already grumbling about driving two hours to go get that Mason tomorrow!! :lol:

Look at all the goodies with that one!

That gives me hope! Looks like the same condition as the 66 Redeye I picked up yesterday for $15. I have been scared to post the "before" picture!
    Oh please post it !! For $15, you can learn on it and if it doesn't come out perfect, you aren't out a ton of money. That was why I bought this machine, just to see how much of a difference there could be, and it had all its parts there.

Texas Jan
    Here is a picture of the aforementioned 66 Red Eye I picked up the other day. I was a bit disappointed when I saw it, as it was worse that the pics on Craiglist. But it will be fun and educational to do the best I can on it. It is missing a few parts (bobbin case, plate, upper thread spool) and many of the decals are silvered.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Here's a machine I picked up last week and the saga of our relationship http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-139697-1.htm It started off on the wrong foot, for sure. But, I'm becoming attached. I replaced the rubber feet today and am still awaiting my bobbin case I bought via ebay.... It's a 301A with a few deep paint scratches. Can't wait to get the bobbin case and test it out.
    I bought a 301 a few weeks ago without a bobbin case not knowing what the bobbin case cost. I might not have bought it but it is a black long bed one I really wanted. I bid on several bobbin cases on EBay but they went for more than what I was willing to pay. Finally I bought a FW parts machine. Yet another lesson learned. I wish I was as smart as I was when I was a teenager LOL. I have been working on other FW's but want to get the 301 up and running. I have several machines to work on.

Now that I am retired, I have time to gallivant around the countryside. Tomorrow I have an appointment to pick up this Minnesota A for $10.

Could it ever be anything but a door stop? It has no motor, no treadle, no cabinet. Just its poor little self. No matter, it will be pretty once it is clean. This is the CL pic, I will post a bigger one tomorrow once I have it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickylsf
    Now that I am retired, I have time to gallivant around the countryside. Tomorrow I have an appointment to pick up this Minnesota A for $10.

Could it ever be anything but a door stop? It has no motor, no treadle, no cabinet. Just its poor little self. No matter, it will be pretty once it is clean. This is the CL pic, I will post a bigger one tomorrow once I have it.
    Looks like its in better shape than my door stop was when I started - yours looks like mostly dust,where mine was grime and rust!

Blog Entries
    Here's a machine I picked up last week and the saga of our relationship http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-139697-1.htm It started off on the wrong foot, for sure. But, I'm becoming attached. I replaced the rubber feet today and am still awaiting my bobbin case I bought via ebay.... It's a 301A with a few deep paint scratches. Can't wait to get the bobbin case and test it out.
    I bought a 301 a few weeks ago without a bobbin case not knowing what the bobbin case cost. I might not have bought it but it is a black long bed one I really wanted. I bid on several bobbin cases on EBay but they went for more than what I was willing to pay. Finally I bought a FW parts machine. Yet another lesson learned. I wish I was as smart as I was when I was a teenager LOL. I have been working on other FW's but want to get the 301 up and running. I have several machines to work on.
    try sew classic for the bobbin case http://shop.sew-classic.com/Bobbin-C...-SCBC45751.htm

Blog Entries
    Here's how the ad read on the machine I posted...I'm actually going to have her in the Trailblazer by 11:00am tomorrow instead of Wednesday! I can hardly sit still for the rest of today! :lol:

"New Florence" treadle sewing machine by A.G. Mason, Cleveland, Ohio.
    Gold rose decals on oak cabinet with curved drawers.
    Nice inlaid ruler measurements in wood.
    Machine lifts into place when top is swung open.
    Includes full box of accessories, shuttle, five long bobbins, oil can, etc.
    Machine and cabinet are clean.
    Now, Charlee, sit still... you will be there before you know it. Just count to million and one!
    :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Picked this up for a friend. Looks like a commercial version of the 130. Pretty neat treadle. Anyone seen a 130 like this?
    Tommie
    Tommie, I wish you lived closer to me! I'd take that Pfaff treadle in a second! I have not even seen one in person yet!

Nancy
    It is pretty neat, more like a commercial than regular type.

I saw that. I'm about an hour away. Poor thing.
    I saw it too and sent a text, also being an hour away. It was already sold. What was it exactly anyhow?