Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 952 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 452 852 902 942 951 952 953 962 1002 1052 1452 ... LastLast
Results 23,776 to 23,800 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Monica, I am looking at a Singer 15...it has a potted motor, so is it a 15-91? The listing on ISMACS says Gear Driven for a -91. Thanks!!
    Janice,

Here is a link to information on the Singer 15-91 which is the one with potted-motor. http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx

For manual for Singer 15-91 scroll bottom of page.

The Singer 15-90 has an external motor that can be removed for treadle use regardless of the handwheel not being a spoke wheel. It was Sharon, Purplefiend, who gave the heads up on that could be done when she posted a picture of her machines. So if you want a machine with motor, but maybe down the road want to treadle it then I say go with a Signer 15-90 or 89. Some of the Singer 15-88 and 89 might have a motor.

Taken from the Sewclassic website:
    Other, similar Singer class 15 models:

15-125- mechanically identical to the 15-91. Introduced in 1957, potted, gear driven motor, "updated, modern" design, green
    15-75- Just like the 15-125, except belt driven, external motor, black
    15-90 - solid hand wheel, external motor, belt drive- everything else is identical to the 15-91
    15-89 - Natural born hand crank, spoked handwheel, no motor, otherwise- just like the 15-90 and 15-91
    15-88 - spoked hand wheel, most often treadle operated, but sometimes equipped with an orignial Singer motor (see photos below)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Hi - can someone help me out with this machine? I know I am supposed to be cutting back, but it is $25 and neat looking - I'm just not sure what model Singer it is... and is it worth getting?
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/art/2593482874.html
    I call them the "Jeston" machines. Others call them the Rocketeer. Yes, for $25 go get it!

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Monica. I'm sure this one is a 15-91...potted motor. It's really clean.

Blog Entries
    Sue - I put my machine in a big turkey roasting pan (put 2 together) and filled it with lamp oil which is refined kerosene and let it soak for several days before scrubbing. It did not affect my decals.

uh oh Miriam..

You have now created a monster...

I noticed elsewhere in another manual at said link... my 191 treadled!! wooohooo...... :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I have a two questions. I am soon to embark on restoring a 1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Red Eye. The decals are in great shape and naturally I'd like to keep them that way.

I've reviewed Billy's tute on cleaning and disassembling the machine, and I've reviewed *some* of the 1584 pages of posts here on this thread and elsewhere on QB. In the tute, he basically soaks/scrubs the entire machine in kerosene - including the decals. BUT I seem to recall seeing at least one post, and my husband is also worried, that Kerosend will remove/damage the decals.

So which is it? Will kerosene ruin the decals??

Second question is with regard to cleaning the workings of the machine. In Billy's tute he removed everything under the face place, the bobbin winder, the bobbin holder, the tension discs - etc. At no time did I see him remove any of the parts located in the pillar or upper arm (the gear works). So ... can these parts be removed? I'd really like to give them a good scrubbing.

thanks all. This is my first vintage machine. It's a voyage of discovery for me.

BTW - Hubby is in charge of restoring/revamping the cabinet which was in poor condition - but the irons all work well which is the important part. We decided that we're going to completely replace the wood top and instead of a drop in table he's going to make a coffin top and recess the machine. He already has the irons all apart and has sand blasted the wheel so far.

Thanks all
    Sue - proud new owner of a not YET working vintage treadle
    I ONLY clean my machines with sewing oil. It takes a bit of time, but it works. If you have difficultly removing oil and dirt build up or can't get something to move try using Tri-Flow. I don't take my machines apart to clean. Only the tension dial area since Singer show how to do that in their manuals. Just use Q-Tip with sewing oil to clean up those areas.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Ok Miriam.. I will now start hunting for a service manual.

Any excuse to buy another sewing machine related item... ;)
    You might find a free one on line. I think I have posted some before. What machine is it - that 66?
    It is a 191J.....

I will go and check out that link. Thanks Miriam
    all I found was 306 & 401 and a bunch of industrial manuals.

Blog Entries
    [quote=Mollie'sMom]
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    OMG! These things really do work well!

Nancy
    It has been a while since I used my ruffler, but from what I can remember, there is a way to set it to make a few stitches and then skip a few. This one came with my 500A and I have had it since 1962. Do you have instructions?
    Maybe that was it for Nancy! I didn't think of that. I did plaiting yesterday along with gathers with my ruffler. The fabric get positioned differently. Thanks for helping out!!!

Nancy, You should double check to see if you were following directions for plaiting or gathering.

Blog Entries

Sometimes you can find them free off the internet to download. Just have to hunt.

Blog Entries
    Just an asside to that, when I did mine I took LOTS of pictures. Every time I took a piece off I took a picture. I held the pcs up to where they went and took pictures, anything that would help when it came to putting it back together. Remember it might be days before you complete the job. Also, the pictures helped me remember what order I took them off, so it went a little smoother when reassembling. By the way, I did get stuck a couple of times and had it not been for the pictures I'd have been hurting. I did not have any manual or anything for the machine I took apart. Good Luck, you will have a wonderful feeling of accomplishment when done!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I have a two questions. I am soon to embark on restoring a 1923 Singer Model 66 Treadle Red Eye. The decals are in great shape and naturally I'd like to keep them that way.

I've reviewed Billy's tute on cleaning and disassembling the machine, and I've reviewed *some* of the 1584 pages of posts here on this thread and elsewhere on QB. In the tute, he basically soaks/scrubs the entire machine in kerosene - including the decals. BUT I seem to recall seeing at least one post, and my husband is also worried, that Kerosend will remove/damage the decals.

So which is it? Will kerosene ruin the decals??

Second question is with regard to cleaning the workings of the machine. In Billy's tute he removed everything under the face place, the bobbin winder, the bobbin holder, the tension discs - etc. At no time did I see him remove any of the parts located in the pillar or upper arm (the gear works). So ... can these parts be removed? I'd really like to give them a good scrubbing.

thanks all. This is my first vintage machine. It's a voyage of discovery for me.

BTW - Hubby is in charge of restoring/revamping the cabinet which was in poor condition - but the irons all work well which is the important part. We decided that we're going to completely replace the wood top and instead of a drop in table he's going to make a coffin top and recess the machine. He already has the irons all apart and has sand blasted the wheel so far.

Thanks all
    Sue - proud new owner of a not YET working vintage treadle
    Basically, everyone has his or her own way of doing it. For me it varies according to what I find inside a machine. If you are worried, you can use sewing machine oil to clean the decals. I figure take it apart if you can get it back together. Do a bit at a time. Keep a muffin pan around to collect parts. If you disassemble much you will need to have a service manual handy. So far, on MOST machines, I have given things a good cleaning without taking all that much apart. One machine may need a tension dis-assembly the next maybe not. On another a needle bar may need to be replaced. If it is really gummed up or rusted I can see that you might have to disassemble more or VERY carefully use a stronger solvent. I use an eyelash brush to get in the tight places. Some here recommend putting the machine on a towel or a disposable diaper. Let us see how it turns out!

You might find a free one on line. I think I have posted some before. What machine is it - that 66?
    It is a 191J.....

I will go and check out that link. Thanks Miriam
    all I found was 306 & 401 and a bunch of industrial manuals.

click on parent directory at top of page and look at instruction manuals ;)

Blog Entries
    I love pictures but my camera seems to blur close up shots. I don't know if I have it set wrong or what. Drives me nuts. Great camera otherwise. I think you have a good idea though.

Blog Entries
    my BIL says diesel fuel works as well as kerosene for cleaning a machine. I've not tried it.

Sometimes you can find them free off the internet to download. Just have to hunt.
    Yes, I have found lots of free things online...

The link someone posted about the sewing machine book by: Rosamond C Cook,
    at

www.archive.org

Has lots of free literature, etc

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC
    I totally agree, Charlee! I keep looking for a great deal on one of those two models.... !
    If you plan on doing free motion quilting then look for a Singer 15-90 or 15-91. The 15s do a better job of FM than do the 201s. Have fun hunting!
    Donna, I agree with Monica if you are on the hunt for an e-machine, which I know you are, - but for the rest of you that want a treadle to free motion quilt with - find a 15-88! They come as treadles, never had a motor attached. I do all my free motion quilting with my 15-88!

Nancy
    I have my eye on a 15 in a treadle base right now, no extras, and the straight leg cabinet needs work. I'd have to factor in gas money plus the asking price of $75. I'm still hemming and hawing trying to make up my mind. Is the performance pretty comparable to the electric 15s? I know I've mentioned before how much I like my 15-91.

Blog Entries
    Monica, I am looking at a Singer 15...it has a potted motor, so is it a 15-91? The listing on ISMACS says Gear Driven for a -91. Thanks!!
    Plus this appears to be a blackside 15-91. I'm crossing my fingers I get it...only 35 minutes to go on the auction!! :-)
    Janice, Did you win?

Blog Entries
    Plus this appears to be a blackside 15-91. I'm crossing my fingers I get it...only 35 minutes to go on the auction!! :-)
    Janice, Did you win?
    Yeah. Did YOU???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kountrykreation
    Where's a good place to get a replacement (motor) belt for a 1914 Singer Redeye.
    Kountrykreation, if you have a 1914 Model 66 with a motor, it must be a friction motor and belt? The 1914's should have been a treadle but a lot of people were so enamored with electricity when it became readily available to most people in the 20's and 30's that they added a motor to their treadles. Those belts are easily attained from most sewing repair shops, on-line, e-bay, etc. I'd measure your belt before ordering/picking up the belt. Good luck!

Nancy
    I haven't read to the end of the posts, but was wondering if anyone caught this? A friction motor is just that, no belt. I was out riding and realized what I had said --- !!!! If your machine has a belt it is not a friction motor, but a system like the FW's have - a motor with a belt attached to turn the wheel! Sorry, the rest of my post applies, though!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    And I missed it!! I had to go to a meeting, and someone bid $10 more than I did. :x :( Well, I guess I'll find another one sooner or later. But it was Blackside!!!

Blog Entries
    And I missed it!! I had to go to a meeting, and someone bid $10 more than I did. :x :( Well, I guess I'll find another one sooner or later. But it was Blackside!!!

:( :( :( Bummer!!!

On a happy note - I have a 15-91 you are welcome to come up & sew on anytime you want to! lol Though it is not a blackside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

On a happy note - I have a 15-91 you are welcome to come up & sew on anytime you want to! lol Though it is not a blackside.
    Isn't that the one you are supposed to get working? HUMMM???? Haha!! I am disappointed, though. It was mine up to 17 minutes before the end of the auction. Oh well, I guess it wasn't really mine after all!! :-)

Blog Entries
    Isn't that the one you are supposed to get working? HUMMM???? Haha!! I am disappointed, though. It was mine up to 17 minutes before the end of the auction. Oh well, I guess it wasn't really mine after all!! :-)
    :oops: :oops: yes LOL Maybe this weekend...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BZ quilting
    e-machine = electric machine
    PP = people powered machine (treadle or handcrank)
    I thought PP meant paper piecing which I am doing on my PP :)
    Me too. and I thought an e machine had something to do with (e)mail.

Blog Entries
    Janice,

Sorry that you didn't win.

Is Tulare on the way up to Fresno? I would check this CLs post.
    http://visalia.craigslist.org/atq/2577377744.html

Maybe your treadle and Singer 15.

And this one too:
    http://fresno.craigslist.org/atq/2579136820.html

This looks to be a Singer 15-90; you could use as e-machine or use in treadle.

I am new to being able to identify the various sewing machines.
    I found this on CL, She really can't tell much about the machine, except that she painted the cabinet, from the pictures it looks like the machine has some paint on it too. She is willing to seperate them. What do you all think, is this a 15? Thank you

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2597163130.html