Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 962 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 462 862 912 952 961 962 963 972 1012 1062 1462 ... LastLast
Results 24,026 to 24,050 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC
    Well, anybody on this thread who refurbishes machines and is near West Chester, PA could make a real killing ... LOL! Imagine what all of those machines would sell for individually.

There's even a 15-91 in there, which is the one I want!! Although if you look at the supersized pictures, a lot of them are pretty rusty, and most are very dirty... it would take quite a bit of work to get all of them ready to sell, I suppose.
    Do you think some of those machine's belong to someone who want's them back repaired?
    Well - for sure - nobody would want those Touch 'N Sew machines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
    You know, I have a vintage Singer treadle machine in my living room. Bought it in an antique store about 15 years ago on the west coast of FL. I haven't taken the time to open her up and see what kind she is now that I know I can get the serial number and find out. I think I will put this on my list of things to do this weekend. Stay tuned, I will post pictures and let you all know what I find out.
    I know she works, but needs a spindle for the thread.
    ~trying to wait patiently~ ;) :lol:
    Hard to wait isn't it? I could never have not peeked inside .
    15 years ago??? :shock: :shock: Goodness!! Open that thing up immediately!!! LOL :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrish
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    You know, I have a vintage Singer treadle machine in my living room. Bought it in an antique store about 15 years ago on the west coast of FL. I haven't taken the time to open her up and see what kind she is now that I know I can get the serial number and find out. I think I will put this on my list of things to do this weekend. Stay tuned, I will post pictures and let you all know what I find out.
    I know she works, but needs a spindle for the thread.
    ~trying to wait patiently~ ;) :lol:
    Hard to wait isn't it? I could never have not peeked inside .

We now know who didn't unwrap xmas gifts ahead of time and re-wrap them..... :mrgreen:
    When you do, be sure to post pictures! BTW, I would have peeked , too! :)
    I peeked when I bought her, but never knew I could actually use her to piece my quilts til I joined this board. Then I found out I could get the model and year made by looking up the serial number. I have been procrastinating for some reason, but now that I know others want to see, I will be encouraged to get the job done.

Blog Entries
    Yesterday seen in the wild at local thrift shop....

1 Japanese 15 clone - no case, no attachments - $60
    1 Singer 66, very plain, newer (like 40's maybe) - no case, no attachments - $85

The clerk said she cannot reduce prices. I told her they are overpriced. I'll go back in a week or so to see if they reduce the prices.

I was happily sewing away on my 301 yesterday, when DH walks in. He says "Now that you cleaned your Brother, how come you're not sewing on it?" Me..."Right now I prefer the 301 when just piecing." Him..."Oh." Gives me a kind of strange look...like, "OK, but I don't really get it". :-)

Blog Entries
    [quote=Dolly's sister][quote=deplaylady][quote=justtrish][quote=Up North][quote=Charlee]

I peeked when I bought her, but never knew I could actually use her to piece my quilts til I joined this board. Then I found out I could get the model and year made by looking up the serial number. I have been procrastinating for some reason, but now that I know others want to see, I will be encouraged to get the job done.
    Once you use a vintage machine, you will never want to go back to the plastic machines. These vintage machines ROCK!

Clean her up with sewing oil and start using her!!!

Blog Entries
    [quote=vintagemotif][quote=Dolly's sister][quote=deplaylady][quote=justtrish][quote=Up North]

Once you use a vintage machine, you will never want to go back to the plastic machines. These vintage machines ROCK!

Clean her up with sewing oil and start using her!!!

She might not be too bad to clean up.
    yeah - get her going then - then don't look forward oops I mean back... i think.

Blog Entries
    Hey Billy, Pat P here do you know anything about an Earlha Treadle number L 1-881955? Thanks !

Blog Entries
    A while back someone posted a link to a thread with updates on Billy, I thought I saved it to my Bookmarks, but it is not there. Does anyone have that link? I have been worried about him and wonder how he is doing. TIA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat P
    Hey Billy, Pat P here do you know anything about an Earlha Treadle number L 1-881955? Thanks !
    I tried to search it - no luck - could you post a picture? I wonder if it had anything to do with Earlham College? In what part of Indiana did you find the machine?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    A while back someone posted a link to a thread with updates on Billy, I thought I saved it to my Bookmarks, but it is not there. Does anyone have that link? I have been worried about him and wonder how he is doing. TIA
    Here is Billy's PDA. He is very sick & needs our thoughts & prayers.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28727-1.htm

Blog Entries
    Hey Billy got the name wrong it is earlham didn't see the m but when I went to take a picture I saw it. will try and post a picture. It was my MI, she was born in Tipton In it could have been her mothers, her grandmother spoke only German. Thanks Pat

I found a nifty new machine that I'll be keeping as a backup-a Nelco Golden Stitch series, model number SZA-625f. (I posted about it over here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-154674-1.htm#4262295)

I've taken the back off, gotten it de-linted and oiled and so far, so good. Where I'm stuck is a mystery hole in the back. I found a screw top in the mechanism that I think that hole goes to, but I have no idea what it does. The two best guesses so far are some kind of tension, or it adjusts the zigzag width. Only I thought that's what the lever on top in the front did-maybe that centers the needle? It does make the needle move side to side, but I can't see that it's zigzagging, so now I don't know.

I know, I could take it to my osmg and let him figure it out, but A: I know for a fact he's now running more than a month out, and B: I'm sort of enjoying figuring out the mystery on my own.

I'd really like a manual for this but so far, the ones I'm finding aren't for this model number. Failing that, I'd be happy with sorting these two things out.

the machine
    Name:  Attachment-260191.jpe
Views: 843
Size:  38.5 KB

The lever that apparently doesn't do what I thought it did in the front.
    Name:  Attachment-260195.jpe
Views: 440
Size:  22.0 KB

The mystery adjustment in the back-any guesses?
    Name:  Attachment-260197.jpe
Views: 441
Size:  18.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats
    I found a nifty new machine that I'll be keeping as a backup-a Nelco Golden Stitch series, model number SZA-625f. (I posted about it over here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-154674-1.htm#4262295)

I've taken the back off, gotten it de-linted and oiled and so far, so good. Where I'm stuck is a mystery hole in the back. I found a screw top in the mechanism that I think that hole goes to, but I have no idea what it does. The two best guesses so far are some kind of tension, or it adjusts the zigzag width. Only I thought that's what the lever on top in the front did-maybe that centers the needle? It does make the needle move side to side, but I can't see that it's zigzagging, so now I don't know.

I know, I could take it to my osmg and let him figure it out, but A: I know for a fact he's now running more than a month out, and B: I'm sort of enjoying figuring out the mystery on my own.

I'd really like a manual for this but so far, the ones I'm finding aren't for this model number. Failing that, I'd be happy with sorting these two things out.
    Wow! Is it small?- it looks something like a Necchi or an Elna or a Kenmore/ Jaguar... but it's made in Japan. I think I would have the time of my life playing with it. I think the manual or someone who has one would be a lot of help. I'm wondering how it comes apart - it appears seamless... Have you gotten it to do any of the stitches?

Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Wow! Is it small?- it looks something like a Necchi or an Elna or a Kenmore/ Jaguar... but it's made in Japan. I think I would have the time of my life playing with it. I think the manual or someone who has one would be a lot of help. I'm wondering how it comes apart - it appears seamless... Have you gotten it to do any of the stitches?
    It's not small, but it's got the same odd shape the green monster Elna's have. Turns out there was a reason for that. Google Leon Jolson; the first two hits that come up are obits, but tell the guy's story pretty thoroughly. The article a few down from that, from a 1952 Time magazine was pretty interesting too.

I've only sewed paper with it so far, and I can't get the zigzag to zigzag. I'm still working on it, but this may be beyond my amateur abilities. Which is unfortunate-I've got skirts that need hemmed, and a new toy to play with! I'm taking the other one I bought (a Cavalier) to my osmg tomorrow; I'll take this one too and hope it's a fast and easy fix.

Why this looks like and Elna, and has the Necchi feed dog drop.
    Name:  Attachment-260209.jpe
Views: 611
Size:  57.7 KB

Blog Entries
    That hole in the back with the plus and minis looks like it could be something to do with the tension. I don't see anything that looks like a tension on the front of the machine. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    That hole in the back with the plus and minis looks like it could be something to do with the tension. I don't see anything that looks like a tension on the front of the machine. Just my thoughts.
    That's a best guess on the other thread, too. It still might be, but there is a tension knob in the front, at the top of the thread uptake. Only the numbers show, the knob itself is behind the front faceplate door.

Blog Entries
    That's a best guess on the other thread, too. It still might be, but there is a tension knob in the front, at the top of the thread uptake. Only the numbers show, the knob itself is behind the front faceplate door.
    it seems like it is in the wrong place for a presser foot adjustment, too

Blog Entries
    I have never seen a Nelco like this one. Here is a site that lists manuals for purchase. Maybe they have a manual for your machine.

http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...g_Machines.htm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    If nothing else, if you can't find the exact manual - you might find something similar from the same year from Riccar, Sears, JC Penny, Montgomery Wards, Necchi or Elna - each having components that would correspond to your controls. Maybe, the trick will be to figure out what year your machine was made.

It looks like a high end machine to me. I bet once you get it going you will LOVE it to bits.

I have never seen a Nelco like this one. Here is a site that lists manuals for purchase. Maybe they have a manual for your machine.

http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...g_Machines.htm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat P
    Hey Billy got the name wrong it is earlham didn't see the m but when I went to take a picture I saw it. will try and post a picture. It was my MI, she was born in Tipton In it could have been her mothers, her grandmother spoke only German. Thanks Pat
    Pat,

Billy is very sick right now. So, he hasn't been on this thread posting. Someone here will try to help you, if we can.

I've only sewed paper with it so far, and I can't get the zigzag to zigzag. I'm still working on it, but this may be beyond my amateur abilities. Which is unfortunate-I've got skirts that need hemmed, and a new toy to play with! I'm taking the other one I bought (a Cavalier) to my osmg tomorrow; I'll take this one too and hope it's a fast and easy fix.[/quote]

I may be wrong but I think that the +- on the machine maybe be the stitch balancer. Try to move it in either direction and see if you can get the zigzag. Keep playing with the + - and see what happens. Kathie

If nothing else, if you can't find the exact manual - you might find something similar from the same year from Riccar, Sears, JC Penny, Montgomery Wards, Necchi or Elna - each having components that would correspond to your controls. Maybe, the trick will be to figure out what year your machine was made.

It looks like a high end machine to me. I bet once you get it going you will LOVE it to bits.
    THAT is a BRILLIANT idea! I'll start with Elna, since it looks like the old green Elnas to me.

I hope so, but it's been pretty fun so far, and I haven't sewed a stitch yet!

:lol:

The zigzag is finally zigzagging-the medium and wide zz, not the narrow zz. I oiled and ran it, oiled and ran it, and each time I did, the zz got a little wider.

Now that I have the zz, I left it on its widest setting and turned the +/- screw all the way both ways. Neither had any bearing on the width of the zz. (Good thing that little screw clicks! That's how I knew how to put it back where it started-I counted clicks.)

I'm off to hunt an Elna manual; maybe that'll solve the mystery.

Blog Entries
    ~sigh~ Why do I do it? I went to see the "sewing machine guy" (in parenthesis for a reason!) here in town, and asked him about needles for two of my machines. Asked about a 20x1, and got an incredulous "What do YOU want INDUSTRIAL needles for????"
    "Well, Louie, because they fit one of my machines."
    "You have an industrial machine???"
    "No Louie, I don't. They fit an AG Mason treadle machine."
    "No they won't. Those are INDUSTRIAL needles!"

*deep breath* *nother one*

"Ok Louie, they won't fit. Have anything like a Davis Long Needle or a Boye 10?"
    "What's a Davis long needle? I've never heard of "Boye", what's THAT?"

OMG. I was so frustrated that I wanted to bop his bald head!!!

"Here's an easy one for ya Louie...got a bobbin tire?"
    "Buck and a half" as he slid it across the counter. "Those are standard, ya know."

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!! I'm going to EBAY!!

Blog Entries
    The zigzag is finally zigzagging-the medium and wide zz, not the narrow zz. I oiled and ran it, oiled and ran it, and each time I did, the zz got a little wider.

Now that I have the zz, I left it on its widest setting and turned the +/- screw all the way both ways. Neither had any bearing on the width of the zz. (Good thing that little screw clicks! That's how I knew how to put it back where it started-I counted clicks.)

I'm off to hunt an Elna manual; maybe that'll solve the mystery.
    I can't imagine that screw would include tension setting or zigzag settings...why would they make it difficult to access and impossible to see what the setting is?

of course, I have no solutions for you either!! Sorry...