Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1062 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 62 562 962 1012 1052 1061 1062 1063 1072 1112 1162 1562 ... LastLast
Results 26,526 to 26,550 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #26526
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict
    boy, it has taken me a week to get caught up on the thread. There has been some great machines and information posted this last month. :)

    Here are my two latest purchases. I have been actually sewing instead of cleaning machines but now that it is getting cooler I will try to spend some time in the garage. I am running out of room.

    This is Davis VF2 that I picked up in Lincoln, NE when I was back for my nephew's wedding. Came home in my carryon luggage. Serial number is 1064910 last patent date is May 18th 1885. I hope the flowers are as pretty as yours Glenn.

    2nd is unidentified handcrank. I just picked it up last night off CL. This is the worst condition one I have ever gotten. I don't know if I will ever get it working. There is so much rust. But the needle bar and pressure foot will move. No movement in the transvers shuttle though. And there is no shuttle or bobbin.
    Love your Davis & that handcrank is going to be wonderful!!

  2. #26527
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Janice - getting caught up here this morning! Steven Tyler is an awesome machine! Once that grunge is he is going to be a Rock Star in the vintage sewing machine world! :thumbup:
    Well, unfortunately DH is not fond of the "Steven Tyler" name, so I have to decide on another.

    I looked at the finish under bright light last night, and it really looks like someone tried to paint it. Or the original japan "melted"?? Is that possible? I can see the decals (kind of) sort of "under" a dark covering....like paint didn't stick to the decals. I don't know. Very hard to figure it out. Anyone seen anything like this before?
    In response to your "ruffler" post....BRAT!!!!!! :lol:

    I think that instead of being decals, these flowers are painted, and what you're seeing is the ghost of the flowers...mine is the same way...the impression of the flowers remains, the color is gone.
    OK. Well, I'm gonna stop scrubbing away at it, then. I got it initially clean last night...not all the cracks and crevices, and not all the metal pieces, which need lots of scrubbing. But the body and bed are pretty good. You can still see some of the DAV on the arm on the front and back, but everything else is pretty much gone. Anybody in favor of stripping it down and repainting? :?: :?:
    Depends on how YOU want YOUR machine to look! :) Check with Miriam, her BIL paints! :)

  3. #26528
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by auniqueview
    I don't know how "vintage" my machine is, but the fact that it is all metal, no plastic tells me that's a good start. It is a Dressmaker model 101. I finally pulled it out of the bag, put a needle in, threaded it up, and started it. All the stitches work nicely, bobbin runs smoothly, and the machine is nice and clean. But is started making a squeaking noise. Belt? I didn't run it too long, don't want to damage it, because I finally have one I can get a quilt under without ending up in muscle spasms, lol. Any info on this machine? I bow to all of you, because I have realized that you are better at finding this info than I am, and I used to think I was good at tracking stuff down on the net. Thanks.
    Picture, please. May be a 15 Clone...I seem to remember one called Dressmaker.

  4. #26529
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    3,591
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Ok for you Rocketeer folks, are any of you having trouble with the cams wearing out? I use my 503a Rocketeer all the time for decorative stitches on my little Patchabilities. I use mostly the #8 cam, which is now slipping and messing up sometimes. I did some research and the only thing people complained about with those machines were the cams. The people who bought them loved the machines because they are all metal, well-made machines, but couldn't understand why Singer made such a nice machine then used plastic to make the cams. The cams wear out! Has anyone tried filing off the rough edges on those cams to see if they will have more life. Now I am a little concerned about getting a 319W -it uses cams too. The top hat cams are easy to find, not sure about the flat cams of the 319w?

    Nancy
    Nancy - yes they do wear out but not to worry & no need to start filing on them yourself. Cathy (who hosted the TOGA) has a whole locker full of the various types of cams!! Seriously - a whole school locker! And they are not expensive at all. I think I paid $2 each for the ones I got from her to finish out my collection of the ones made for my 403.

  5. #26530
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    3,591
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8768015

    This is a singer 301 zigzagger. There is another one as well without the cams.
    I saw that and thought about bidding on it for my 301, but decided I probably would never use it, so I passed on it.
    Oh - we are supposed to use them? They're not just for display??

  6. #26531
    Member jan on 446's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MI's Beautiful Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Ok for you Rocketeer folks, are any of you having trouble with the cams wearing out? I use my 503a Rocketeer all the time for decorative stitches on my little Patchabilities. I use mostly the #8 cam, which is now slipping and messing up sometimes. I did some research and the only thing people complained about with those machines were the cams. The people who bought them loved the machines because they are all metal, well-made machines, but couldn't understand why Singer made such a nice machine then used plastic to make the cams. The cams wear out! Has anyone tried filing off the rough edges on those cams to see if they will have more life. Now I am a little concerned about getting a 319W -it uses cams too. The top hat cams are easy to find, not sure about the flat cams of the 319w?

    Nancy
    Nancy - yes they do wear out but not to worry & no need to start filing on them yourself. Cathy (who hosted the TOGA) has a whole locker full of the various types of cams!! Seriously - a whole school locker! And they are not expensive at all. I think I paid $2 each for the ones I got from her to finish out my collection of the ones made for my 403.
    Good thing to know. What is her username here? I have a 500 on layaway and thinking I might need a new set to have on hand. I don't know what all is included with the machine yet. Suppose to get that info soon.
    Thanks,
    Jan on 446

  7. #26532
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    297
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8768015

    This is a singer 301 zigzagger. There is another one as well without the cams.
    I saw that and thought about bidding on it for my 301, but decided I probably would never use it, so I passed on it.
    Oh - we are supposed to use them? They're not just for display??
    :wink:

  8. #26533
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8768015

    This is a singer 301 zigzagger. There is another one as well without the cams.
    I saw that and thought about bidding on it for my 301, but decided I probably would never use it, so I passed on it.
    Oh - we are supposed to use them? They're not just for display??
    Hahaha!! If I had any more room for displaying anything it probably wouldn't be a zigzagger!! My sewing room is packed!! My "displays" are lapping over into the dining room and living room, and although DH is not complaining (yet!), he does raise eyebrows whenever I add anything else!! We're supposed to be saving $$ for DS's wedding in March...I'm not good at saving!! I like to spend...so, it's a challenge!!
    :-)

  9. #26534
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8768015

    This is a singer 301 zigzagger. There is another one as well without the cams.
    I saw that and thought about bidding on it for my 301, but decided I probably would never use it, so I passed on it.
    Oh - we are supposed to use them? They're not just for display??
    Hahaha!! If I had any more room for displaying anything it probably wouldn't be a zigzagger!! My sewing room is packed!! My "displays" are lapping over into the dining room and living room, and although DH is not complaining (yet!), he does raise eyebrows whenever I add anything else!! We're supposed to be saving $$ for DS's wedding in March...I'm not good at saving!! I like to spend...so, it's a challenge!!
    :-)
    I hear the challenge. Our younger daughter is getting married in April....trying to save, but the machines all seem to know my name....Melinda, save me!! is what I hear when I see one that needs a hand. And when I think they are past saving, I see the miracle transformations on here, and feel the need to try. Yall are bad influences. Maybe I can talk my daughter into a sewing machine themed wedding. LOL

  10. #26535
    Senior Member auniqueview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ft. Myers, Fl
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by auniqueview
    I don't know how "vintage" my machine is, but the fact that it is all metal, no plastic tells me that's a good start. It is a Dressmaker model 101. I finally pulled it out of the bag, put a needle in, threaded it up, and started it. All the stitches work nicely, bobbin runs smoothly, and the machine is nice and clean. But is started making a squeaking noise. Belt? I didn't run it too long, don't want to damage it, because I finally have one I can get a quilt under without ending up in muscle spasms, lol. Any info on this machine? I bow to all of you, because I have realized that you are better at finding this info than I am, and I used to think I was good at tracking stuff down on the net. Thanks.
    Picture, please. May be a 15 Clone...I seem to remember one called Dressmaker.
    Definitely not a 15 clone. This is a newer machine.

  11. #26536
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    3,591
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jan on 446
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Ok for you Rocketeer folks, are any of you having trouble with the cams wearing out? I use my 503a Rocketeer all the time for decorative stitches on my little Patchabilities. I use mostly the #8 cam, which is now slipping and messing up sometimes. I did some research and the only thing people complained about with those machines were the cams. The people who bought them loved the machines because they are all metal, well-made machines, but couldn't understand why Singer made such a nice machine then used plastic to make the cams. The cams wear out! Has anyone tried filing off the rough edges on those cams to see if they will have more life. Now I am a little concerned about getting a 319W -it uses cams too. The top hat cams are easy to find, not sure about the flat cams of the 319w?

    Nancy
    Nancy - yes they do wear out but not to worry & no need to start filing on them yourself. Cathy (who hosted the TOGA) has a whole locker full of the various types of cams!! Seriously - a whole school locker! And they are not expensive at all. I think I paid $2 each for the ones I got from her to finish out my collection of the ones made for my 403.
    Good thing to know. What is her username here? I have a 500 on layaway and thinking I might need a new set to have on hand. I don't know what all is included with the machine yet. Suppose to get that info soon.
    Thanks,
    Jan on 446
    She is not a user here. Let me see if I can get her contact info for you. Or maybe vintagemotif (Monica) has it?

  12. #26537
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am also looking for cams for the 319W
    Glenn

  13. #26538
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    I've not fully decided to sell my green 319 yet and the price. My company just left today. But, it comes with the full set of cams. They usually go for like $25-$35 on ebay.

  14. #26539
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    I bought this 301 locally in the table with cradle. I've removed it from the table and am trying to sell that on CL and just keep the machine. It needed a LOT of cleaning and love and the nicotine just ran off of it... A ton of elbow grease and she's running beautifully!

    Before...
    Name:  Attachment-278351.jpe
Views: 93
Size:  39.6 KB

    After...
    Name:  Attachment-278352.jpe
Views: 91
Size:  32.3 KB

    And here's a picture of her and her big Sister the Long bed. I've been working for several months to get the long bed operational and it's also fixed now too! I'm very pleased with them. The Long Bed is actually about 4 years older than the short bed.
    Name:  Attachment-278353.jpe
Views: 92
Size:  35.0 KB

  15. #26540
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I've not fully decided to sell my green 319 yet and the price. My company just left today. But, it comes with the full set of cams. They usually go for like $25-$35 on ebay.
    I would not sell my 319 it is a great machine and will do many things I want it to do. I really like to treadle it.
    Glenn

  16. #26541
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I've not fully decided to sell my green 319 yet and the price. My company just left today. But, it comes with the full set of cams. They usually go for like $25-$35 on ebay.
    I would not sell my 319 it is a great machine and will do many things I want it to do. I really like to treadle it.
    Glenn

    Yes, but I have two
    :thumbup:

  17. #26542
    Member jan on 446's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MI's Beautiful Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    91
    Great job Candice!
    Jan on 446

  18. #26543
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Wow, what a transformation, you did a really good job on that, Candace

  19. #26544
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I've not fully decided to sell my green 319 yet and the price. My company just left today. But, it comes with the full set of cams. They usually go for like $25-$35 on ebay.
    I would not sell my 319 it is a great machine and will do many things I want it to do. I really like to treadle it.
    Glenn

    Yes, but I have two
    :thumbup:
    If you have two then thats ok. You did a great clean up here. It shines like new
    Glenn

  20. #26545
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    here is another interesting place to visit...
    http://thecostumersmanifesto.com/ind...EWING_MACHINES

  21. #26546
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I bought this 301 locally in the table with cradle. I've removed it from the table and am trying to sell that on CL and just keep the machine. It needed a LOT of cleaning and love and the nicotine just ran off of it... A ton of elbow grease and she's running beautifully!
    Wow, Candace, great job cleaning up that poor 301.

  22. #26547
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8768015

    This is a singer 301 zigzagger. There is another one as well without the cams.
    I saw that and thought about bidding on it for my 301, but decided I probably would never use it, so I passed on it.
    Oh - we are supposed to use them? They're not just for display??
    Hahaha!! If I had any more room for displaying anything it probably wouldn't be a zigzagger!! My sewing room is packed!! My "displays" are lapping over into the dining room and living room, and although DH is not complaining (yet!), he does raise eyebrows whenever I add anything else!! We're supposed to be saving $$ for DS's wedding in March...I'm not good at saving!! I like to spend...so, it's a challenge!!
    :-)
    I hear the challenge. Our younger daughter is getting married in April....trying to save, but the machines all seem to know my name....Melinda, save me!! is what I hear when I see one that needs a hand. And when I think they are past saving, I see the miracle transformations on here, and feel the need to try. Yall are bad influences. Maybe I can talk my daughter into a sewing machine themed wedding. LOL
    Hahahaha!!! That would be quite a theme!!

    I did put the idea of using my vintage machines for display at our guilds quilt show in January, and the committee thought it would be a great idea!! So, I can get DH involved by having him set up the little display vignettes with each machine!!

  23. #26548
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    At any rate, I want to share with you how Glen helped me figure this one out.

    I have two 15 clones that are breaking upper thread - one has that needle bar turned wrong the other will stitch by hand crank or will stitch a few with power and then break. I'm wondering if the tension is working right. Maybe the pin. I'm thinking after supper I might swap the plate if it will go on.

    Make sure the feed dogs on the clones are tight and not sloppy in movement.

    I would concentrate on the tension of the bobbin and check the bobbin case other than that I am at a lost. But it is usually something simple and that is the hardest problem to solve. I wonder if the needlebar is not set to high or to low. Is there any burrs under the foot?

    Thanks, I will be checking. I'm thinking about trying the bobbin case that I know works out of the other machine.

    I put in a bobbin case I know works. Nadda. I pulled off the pressure foot and sanded off some good burrs. Then for good measure I used a foot off another machine that I know works. Nadda. I've played with the upper tension. Nadda. I do know the upper tension is working though. I can see it move and I can feel changes. I checked the needle hole - no burrs. This is the second machine in a row that does not appear to have been used much. The face is torn up on each one - probably from the foot control rattling around inside in transit. I pulled out the hook and cleaned up that area. I am wondering if it is something going around somewhere that I'm missing. You are right it is usually something incredibly small. I have 4 clones. One was a neighbor lady's wedding present back when those were new. It is a Sears Commander. She never learned to sew on electric- she preferred a treadle - it is virtually a new machine and sews perfect. Then I have a rescue from a flood. It is missing a tension and has a bit of rust in places. I should put a face place on it and see if it sews. Then I have two more I found in the last couple weeks. These both are breaking upper thread after about an inch. Makes me wonder a lot.

    Is the upper thread or lower thread breaking or is it both? This should give us a clue to where the problem is

    upper only is breaking. The needle is sliding down on the foot

    I am wondering if you don't have a bad hood since the upper thread is breaking. Bent needle, try a larger size needle, upper tension to tight. I am running out of fixes here.

    I can't imagine timing would be off on both of them???

    You never know. People do try to pull things through. I'm wondering If I have a bent foot bar on one - the foot is crooked on the feed dogs and the needle hits the foot sort of.

    What do you mean sliding down on the foot. The clamp is not holding the needle or is it touching the foot on the down.

    The clamps are on tight. The needle touches the foot and the hole on the way down.

    I had the needles in backwards on both machines. They now work!!! WOW these are nice. At least they are clean and there are no burrs on the feet now. Next the one needs a big sticker removed.

    It is always the simple things that get us into trouble. I have been going over 40 pages of repair notes and about to pull my hair out. I am very glad you have found the problem. I was running out of repair notes. Great work out today huh!! enjoy your machines.
    glenn

    Thanks so much Glen. I always learn from the stupid things though. I should make some notes on this - you were excellent. This is one I should have known. I think I've used way too many 403s of late. NOW, I remember the old repair once man said the needle curf goes toward the bobbin and for some reason I managed to listen to someone say the needle is shaped like the plate and should go that way. The repair man was right. I should have turned that needle yesterday.

    That is perfectly alright I needed to refresh my repair tech and this was a good day.

    I believe I learned a WHOLE lot - THANK YOU. I feel like you are a good tutor.

    You are most welcome, I just made suggestions you did the work. Thank you again and if you need anymore help you know where I am. Now relax and play with those nice machines.
    Glenn

    Well, DUMB me. I've been racking my pea brain and driving Glen nutty too trying to figure out how come my newly acquired 15 clones both break stitches. Well, DUH - I had the needles in backwards. The needles would hit something and break the thread. Drove me nutty. Now that they are working they are VERY nice machines. What fun when you think you know what you are doing EH??? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

  24. #26549
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    487
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    Quote Originally Posted by redmadder
    Thank you Wendt. That is my machine. This one is in a somewhat ornate cabinet but the finish on the machine is crumbling off the bed. The decals on the upper part are intact but it will take a lot of work to get her cleaned up. All her parts work just fine. So it is New Home and not White. Thank you.
    redmadder, you are so welcome. I was so surprised, since I don't think I'd ever heard of Ruby other than remembering seeing that craigslist ad posted by the local sew shop. I wonder if there are any other Ruby-ists on here?

    Hey now, One thing I'm really looking for... is a Canadian RAYMOND Treadle, that has the Beaver irons. Anyone have one? Any of our VSMS folks in Maine, NH, Canada... if you ever find one. PM me!!!!
    I have a Ruby, but haven't used her yet. She was another junk heap find, but looking good now. I was told she was probably a Davis made machine.

    Texas Jan

    Texas Jan
    Jan, that Ruby is really pretty. I've seen a few, and most of them are in much worse condition than yours. Good job cleaning her up!!
    Thanks, Janice.

    Texas Jan

  25. #26550
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    487
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I bought this 301 locally in the table with cradle. I've removed it from the table and am trying to sell that on CL and just keep the machine. It needed a LOT of cleaning and love and the nicotine just ran off of it... A ton of elbow grease and she's running beautifully!
    Now THAT is a big difference. She looks great!!!
    Texas Jan

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.