Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-26-2011, 02:17 PM

Because they weigh so much and have a horizontal bobbin case!!

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by QuilterGary
OK, I need to stay home. I bought two FW last week that I have not got home yet. I bought a Huskystar 219 with a nice Kuala cabinet. Then I bought this some one will ha e to tell what I have. It is a slant needle about the same size as 301 without but has horizontal bobbin. Nice little machine has a lever to lift the needle plate instead of dropping the feed dogs. Cannot find a serial number on it or a model number so what is it?
You have a winner! It is a Singer 404 - those were used in Home Ec classes. They are a wonderful machine. My GDs and Niece all have them. They are about the same weight and size as a 301. They take any of the slant feet that straight stitch. They are straight stitch only. They have a front loading drop in bobbin.

www.sewclassic.blog has info and she has bobbins and accessories. Nice cabinet! She also has a link to a free manual. serial number might be under the lip by the bobbin on the very end

I do not understand why they aren't right up there in value with the 301.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
...what should I call her, "ressurrection"....will really enjoy her, belt is next and she will be up and running.
Lily, for Resurrection Lily.

I don't name most of mine, but am always interested when you all do!!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
WOOHOO!!! I'm doin' the happy dance!! I FINALLY found a spooler (bobbin winder) for my WW8!!!!!!! It's an odd one, since it fits on the leg of the treadle cabinet instead of the machine...AND!! The guy thinks he may have some of the inserts for the presser foot!! (They're glass, and not very common)
I was so bummed yesterday when I got outbid on the ones he had posted on ebay...but I did run the bid up as high as I dared!
I LOVE my WW8 treadle!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
here she is all cleaned up...this is the one I bought for $40 and someone had used a dark stain on the top of it. I'm not going to re-finish it cuz the veneer is iffy. It has the singer sewing company on the top with "manufactured in Great Britian" below it. The singer site says the F series was manufactured in Clydebank, Scotland in 1913 so don't know which is right. It is the lotus blossom and some of the blossoms on the back were completely covered in grime. spent hours uncovering them but they are all there...what should I call her, "ressurrection"....will really enjoy her, belt is next and she will be up and running.
Beautiful, LindaR!! I just got one on auction just like yours and waiting for it to arrive. Not the cabinet though. She was made into electric some time, but I want to put her back in treadle. BTW, I think you have Brown Lotus decals, too. There is some discussion a few pages back about colors of the Lotus decals.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
WOOHOO!!! I'm doin' the happy dance!! I FINALLY found a spooler (bobbin winder) for my WW8!!!!!!! It's an odd one, since it fits on the leg of the treadle cabinet instead of the machine...AND!! The guy thinks he may have some of the inserts for the presser foot!! (They're glass, and not very common)
I was so bummed yesterday when I got outbid on the ones he had posted on ebay...but I did run the bid up as high as I dared!
I LOVE my WW8 treadle!

I love mine too, and have been so wanting to "complete" it...just wish I wasn't so scared to use it for fear of taking off more of the decals than are already gone...they're in pretty good shape as they are...I wanna keep them that way! (It DOES sew nicely tho!)
Old 06-26-2011, 02:32 PM

I am so lucky!!! I bid on some attachments for my 301a, and they arrived on Saturday. When I opene the box....WOW!!! A real original walking foot!! Plus some other nice feet, and an original screwdriver. All for $18....I just LOVE the walking foot!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217128.jpe  
Old 06-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

OK, I need to stay home. I bought two FW last week that I have not got home yet. I bought a Huskystar 219 with a nice Kuala cabinet. Then I bought this some one will ha e to tell what I have. It is a slant needle about the same size as 301 without but has horizontal bobbin. Nice little machine has a lever to lift the needle plate instead of dropping the feed dogs. Cannot find a serial number on it or a model number so what is it?
You have a winner! It is a Singer 404 - those were used in Home Ec classes. They are a wonderful machine. My GDs and Niece all have them. They are about the same weight and size as a 301. They take any of the slant feet that straight stitch. They are straight stitch only. They have a front loading drop in bobbin.

www.sewclassic.blog has info and she has bobbins and accessories. Nice cabinet! She also has a link to a free manual. serial number might be under the lip by the bobbin on the very end

The 404s weigh the same as the 301 - they have the same slant-o-matic needle too. And yes! they do have a horizontal drop in easy to see if it's out of thread & easier to use bobbin!!! The 404 needle threads from the front. The 301 threads from one side or the other and if you forget you have instant bird's nests. I've had both around - I kept the 404 for the GD and GN and got rid of the 301.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:54 PM

That's one of the reasons I prefer my well-used machines to the "prettier" ones!

I LOVE my WW8 treadle!

I love mine too, and have been so wanting to "complete" it...just wish I wasn't so scared to use it for fear of taking off more of the decals than are already gone...they're in pretty good shape as they are...I wanna keep them that way! (It DOES sew nicely tho!)
Old 06-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Hmn--I remember them weighing more. I think I have one in the basement, so will check it out. Thanks for the report!

The 404s weigh the same as the 301 - they have the same slant-o-matic needle too. And yes! they do have a horizontal drop in easy to see if it's out of thread & easier to use bobbin!!! The 404 needle threads from the front. The 301 threads from one side or the other and if you forget you have instant bird's nests. I've had both around - I kept the 404 for the GD and GN and got rid of the 301.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
While cleaning out a sewing box, I came across this book from my first sewing machine. I no longer have the machine, but thought someone might use the book. I think it was a Dressmaker from the 50's.
It looks like an ELGIN to me............