Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by SuzanneTx
Please help me identify my treadle. Here are the pics.

Thanks!
Suzanne
What is your serial number? It looks like a 66?

Nancy
I believe it is a 66, no serial number I can find on it.

How would I restore the head? Just clean it up real well, oil it?

Suzanne
Old 01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

I believe it is a 66, no serial number I can find on it.

How would I restore the head? Just clean it up real well, oil it?

Suzanne
On the right hand side, just below the column, see the piece of oval-shaped metal? That's the serial #.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I'm "almost" ready. I did load 2 treadles into the van; the little Franklin was no problem, but I'll carry bruises from the parlor treadle. My husband has never heard of taking things slow, and as we were going up the steps and I was saying, "Wait, wait; I don't have a good grip!" he hurried on, the treadle slipped, and I caught it with my neck. I have a nice sized lump there, but luckily it didn't fall on me and break my neck or anything!! Then in the van--I was trying to push it over to the side so I could load other stuff--and he gave a gigantic shove, right into my foot. I put my life at risk every time I move something with DH, even though we've been doing this for years!!

I never take an electric machine (even though I have many) because I simply don't like using them any more. I need to sew on some of mine this winter; we'll see if I change my mind. BTW, I do still have one FW, but it has never been cleaned up. It's coming, though!!
Geeze, I think all men are related! My DH has learned that when I say I am about to drop something - it is usually too late! We were trying to put up a horse shelter and I dropped my end -- it all came down on him! He now pays attention when I tell him I can't hold something! He was ok -- but, it scared the crap out of both of us!

Miz Johnny, I hope you are Ok! This is a perfect example of why I don't try and take treadles anywhere!

If I buy that Free tomorrow, I am already worried about getting her home in one piece!

Nancy
Old 01-20-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession

Nancy thanks for posting this link. There is a wealth of information here, very nice machines! This is one of the ways I learn about the vintage machines, from photos, blogs, and posts. I then research to find more information, which is how I learned about the Two Spools and Davis NVF machines. The Whites look like a nice machine. My mom said her first machine was a White which was a wedding gift from her MIL. After that she purchased a Necchi Super Nova which I learned on, and now she owns a Bernina 830 which will go to my daughter. I like the passing of machines to children and grandchildren, just as you plan with the FWs to your grandkids.
Vintagemotif, I loved it when I found this site. I have two White's, although, I think I will give one of them away. Anyway, yes this site has tons of information on White's and all the 'badged' White machines too.

I think it is great to pass some of these great old machines on to our kids, grandkids. My DIL wants a treadle and I think that is great too!

Nancy
Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned

Wow, no wonder the white FW's are so expensive if just the replacement motor runs $300! Is that because they are not really white, but a white with a green cast to them, which would make it almost impossible to get a black motor and paint it to match? Billy, would it be cheaper to just re-paint the machine and put a black motor on it?

Couldn't you just repaint/repair the whole machine and use that motor - or is the motor ruined?

Nancy
Original motor is ruined so scrap that I can match the white paint and paint it and the bed plate to match. I can get the black ones for around $200

Billy
Old 01-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Banned

Please help me identify my treadle. Here are the pics.

Thanks!
Suzanne
Model 66

Billy
Old 01-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well the motor I can get for you but the busted hinge on the bed I can weld it back and repaint it but it would be easier to find another one and buy it. The motor will be close around $300 for a white one.

The parts that you have loose look like the pan screw and pin for the hinge maybe?

I am so sorry about the busted machine but it is fixable and you should be refunded for the entire purchase seeing that its close to $400 in damage. I hope it was insured for his sake.

Billy
Wow, no wonder the white FW's are so expensive if just the replacement motor runs $300! Is that because they are not really white, but a white with a green cast to them, which would make it almost impossible to get a black motor and paint it to match? Billy, would it be cheaper to just re-paint the machine and put a black motor on it?

Couldn't you just repaint/repair the whole machine and use that motor - or is the motor ruined?

Nancy
First let me say how sorry I am that this happened to your FW. That is much more damaged than the 2 SM's I got from eBay.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

There is a white 221K on eBay, right now, that has a damaged motor mount. The cost is $179--Buy it Now----and I almost bought it :shock: :shock: thinking that the motor would go for around $100 or so. Can a FW be made into a treadle, I wonder?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I'll have to take a few pictures of the blocks that I've made and post them.
ETA: Here is a pic of some of my favorites that I've made. These are 6 inches square.
Wow, this would be a great grandchild project. The kids could sit and sew all they wanted. When they had a big enough piece all I'd have to do is square them up! Great idea!

Oh we are talking about Crumb quilts!
Nancy
Yeah, they would have a blast because there aren't any rules in making a crumb or strip quilt block and they could use bigger crumbs or scraps. You don't really even need to straighten the edge until after the 2 pieces are sewn together as long as the sewing line is straight.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:47 PM

Geeze, does your MIL collect old machines or what? She has all these machines and she doesn't even know what she has?

You had to be honest -- you did what was right to do -- but, it is too bad you didn't get that FW. If you do ever get any of these machines, post them so we can see what you got. How did you MIL come by all these machines? And, what were the 'garbage' Singers. Another machine that is really nice to own is the Rocketeer Singer -- the 500 series machines. Did she have that one?Nancy
Hi Nance... my MIL is an incurable thrift store junkie. She goes out, 3 or 4 times a week, to all the goodwills, salvation armys, mom & pops resales, thrifts, junk stores. She brings home bags and bags and then stuff it into her house. She has TWO bedrooms converted to 'sewing' rooms, and both of them have only a narrow (as in, gotta turn sidesways) paths to get thru them. She's got some serious treasures in there. Oh... the rest of the house is STUFFED with collections of antique dolls, dollhouses, doll furniture, depression ware, rice paper houses, teacups, ... nuff said. Awesome stuff! But she needs a 30 room mansion... To be fair, she IS the go-to person for the whole family when it comes to finding parts, accessories and pieces of things. She's amazing.

Yeah, I know about the Rocketeer! No... the rest of the singers were all 70's and 80's models, all plastic, nylon parts.. She had a 5580 (not working), two slants 'touch and sew' I think, a 3rd singer slant I couldn't get to to identify, another singer needing cams (couldn't get to) but like 70's, the green monster, a white singer unknown-cracked head.. that's all I remember.

And she also had about 6 or 7 Singer buttoneers of various vintage and 80's styles. She even had a circa 1960 Singers Educator guide - showing the teachers how to teach sewing to the 'girls' in home eco classes. The machine used to illustrate the techniques...was ... the 301A. NICE I WANT THAT TOO. LOL
Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
There is a white 221K on eBay, right now, that has a damaged motor mount. The cost is $179--Buy it Now----and I almost bought it :shock: :shock: thinking that the motor would go for around $100 or so. Can a FW be made into a treadle, I wonder?
Geeze, that puts that FW at $479 + shipping, but if it only has a damaged motor mount couldn't that be fixed without buying a new motor?

I won't buy a machine off of e-bay unless I can pick it up. I have seen too many horror stories on this forum. That white FW makes me sick. I don't understand how that can happen when they are always in a case. Was there no case? Was the case smashed? I wonder if the person that sold that FW already knew about the damage?

Nancy