Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 410 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 310 360 400 409 410 411 420 460 510 910 1410 ... LastLast
Results 10,226 to 10,250 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    I lucked into a FW when I answered an ad in our local paper "I am selling the old stuff from my mother's house." The owner had passed away and her son did a silent auction and I bid $51 on a 1946 Black FW, with the table, and stool, including all the original attachments and books. Nobody else bid. I nearly fainted when he called and said I got it.
    Melinda you got a awesome deal!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theresse
    Hi My DH Surprised me by buy-ing me a vintage singer with cabinet. It is still in the car I'll post pic of it tomarrow. Theresse
    What a nice husband!

Nancy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
    Has anyone ever seen or own or know anything about this one?

It seems 'all wrong'.http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-PORTABLE...item483ee8623e
    I have seen these machine done like this before I cant remember if it is a factory authorized refurbisher did these or they were factory.

Billy

Melinda, congratulations! you have a great knack for finding good deals.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady

I wish some would 'find' me at the kind of prices you guys are getting them. I paid over $300 for my featherweight (222), thought they go for a lot more than that sometimes.
    Geeze, if you got a 222 for just over $300 -- YOU GOT a DEAL!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady

I wish some would 'find' me at the kind of prices you guys are getting them. I paid over $300 for my featherweight (222), thought they go for a lot more than that sometimes.
    Geeze, if you got a 222 for just over $300 -- YOU GOT a DEAL!

Nancy
    What is an average for a good 222

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Here is something for you viewing pleasure.....

Billy
    Billy those posters are so awesome to see. I love the old ads, so much fun to read.

Nancy

Billy, It seems you like a lot of machines that are not Singer. . . I seem to find a lot that are not singer and just wondered, are parts for other machines available? For instance, I just saw a photo of a Standard treadle, the guy says, "oh yea it IS 140 years old but other than needing a belt, I'm sure it's fine." Are singer parts, interchangeale with other brands? For instance if a machine doesn't have a bobbin case or bobbin? or throat plate or throat plate extension, etc.

I DO want to help rescue old sewing machines, but
    since my space and dollars are limited, I would prefer to have machines that can be put back into service rather than just sit and not be any better off than where they are rescued from. Ya know what I mean? So other than asking about every machine I come across on the board, is there a way I can check this out myself. . . I did google the Standard, but found very limited general info and nothing about parts. Sorry so longwinded.. . . .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Well, my vintage ladies were patient with me the other day while I used my daughter's Janome TB-30 to make this Valentine's Day quilted postcard.

I would love to own a vintage machine in treadle that has the function of zig-zag and some decorative stitches. My hunt is on!
    Monica, love the postcard!~

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Mare
    Around here on on E-bay -- usually, somewhere between $1,000 to $2,000!

Nancy

Blog Entries

Nancy
    Here in the North country, they go for $350-$450 depending on condition. Thr rarer freearm is about $1000.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2learn
    Billy, It seems you like a lot of machines that are not Singer. . . I seem to find a lot that are not singer and just wondered, are parts for other machines available? For instance, I just saw a photo of a Standard treadle, the guy says, "oh yea it IS 140 years old but other than needing a belt, I'm sure it's fine." Are singer parts, interchangeale with other brands? For instance if a machine doesn't have a bobbin case or bobbin? or throat plate or throat plate extension, etc.
    Nothing will interchange from Singer to any other machine that I know of. Even the screws for the Singers were proprietary. Your only hope is to find several machines like each other so you can use them for parts or find one that is functionable.

Billy

Blog Entries
    [quote=tjradj]

Nancy

Here in the North country, they go for $350-$450 depending on condition. Thr rarer freearm is about $1000.
    The 222 is the free arm, that is the one we are talking about.
    The 221 is the regular FW.

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Monica, this is the machine you need to get to do your decorative stitches! It is the Rocketeer 501a. This is a 1961 machine that I got at a barn sale for $10. The decorative stitching is a ribbon stitch done on the Rocketeer. My initials on top, I did with the monogrammer for the Rocketeer - attached. So much fun. I put the ric rac on with my Free treadle and did the decorative stuff with the Rocketeer! This is an all vintage Valentines wall hanging quilt!

Nancy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info on the 222. Wowser!! Putting that away in my dream on folder :) I like the 221 enough to adopt one :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Nothing will interchange from Singer to any other machine that I know of. Even the screws for the Singers were proprietary. Your only hope is to find several machines like each other so you can use them for parts or find one that is functionable.

Billy
    What about singer to singer. . Where could I find info to tell me which Singer parts are interchangeable with which machines?

Also, have you done the tutorial using the 500A yet, and what is it called, so I can view it? Thanx

Monica, this is the machine you need to get to do your decorative stitches! It is the Rocketeer 501a. This is a 1961 machine that I got at a barn sale for $10. The decorative stitching is a ribbon stitch done on the Rocketeer. My initials on top, I did with the monogrammer for the Rocketeer - attached. So much fun. I put the ric rac on with my Free treadle and did the decorative stuff with the Rocketeer! This is an all vintage Valentines wall hanging quilt!

Nancy
    Nancy that little wall hanging is darling. . . I sure wish I had know about these vintage and antique machines before I spent THOUSANDS of dollars on fancy new machines. It is amazing how many of us have purchased the newest and fanciest machines and never learn to use all of the features on them. I feel sick to think I could have accomplished most if not all designs with the older machines, with the proper knowledge to use them combined with a little of my own creativity. . . . I'm thinking maybe to start TRYing to sell some of my newer machines to make room for more vintage and antique machines. Thanx for sharing all of your knowledge

Billy,

I have acquired several singers the 501, 401, 301 and have had them cleaned thoroughly and completely gone thru. I know this is a difficult question and hard to answer, but they seem to run a little noisy. Other owners on this board have said that they run quiet. The machines run great after serviced.

I don't know what to do. Change repair person????

Blog Entries

Nancy
    Nancy, That is so pretty and cute! I was hoping for a machine to put in my treadle, but now I will keep my eyes open to the Rocketeer. I like that you put the ric rac on with your Free machine-way cool. What does that gadget that you have attached to the foot do? Heehee... every time I see these Rocketeer 501a, I think of the Jetsons- such a contrast from my elderly ladies. Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    phyllis b, My 301A arrived noisy, but she has become quieter with each day's use. I also oiled her a lot the first few days. I have no idea how long she had been out of service, but after completing her first quilt with me, she is relatively quiet.

Nancy
    The wall hanging is awesome, and I love your Rocketeer! It's so clean it looks MINT. Quite the looker...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Nancy, That is so pretty and cute! I was hoping for a machine to put in my treadle, but now I will keep my eyes open to the Rocketeer. I like that you put the ric rac on with your Free machine-way cool. What does that gadget that you have attached to the foot do? Heehee... every time I see these Rocketeer 501a, I think of the Jetsons- such a contrast from my elderly ladies. Thanks for sharing!
    The attachment is the monogram thingy. I put my initials on the top of that little wall hanging using the monogrammer. Very easy to use and fun! My Rocketeer is one of my favorite, if I have to use electric, machines! All the decorative stitches are great, but remember it uses cams!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
    Has anyone ever seen or own or know anything about this one?

It seems 'all wrong'.http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-PORTABLE...item483ee8623e
    From what I remember there were quite a few old machines that were referbished like this with the crinkle
    finish after WWII, as there were no new ones being made. I read it somewhere and can't recall where though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    The wall hanging is awesome, and I love your Rocketeer! It's so clean it looks MINT. Quite the looker...
    Thank you, I love her too! She makes really nice decorative stitches with the different cams and her straight stitch is really nice too. One of my favorites for sure!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Nancy that little wall hanging is darling. . . I sure wish I had know about these vintage and antique machines before I spent THOUSANDS of dollars on fancy new machines. It is amazing how many of us have purchased the newest and fanciest machines and never learn to use all of the features on them. I feel sick to think I could have accomplished most if not all designs with the older machines, with the proper knowledge to use them combined with a little of my own creativity. . . . I'm thinking maybe to start TRYing to sell some of my newer machines to make room for more vintage and antique machines. Thanx for sharing all of your knowledge
    Well I second everything you said. I paid $7,000 for a very fancy machine that now sells for $12,000. It is only a few years old and does not work! I made the mistake of putting in a generic bobbin, (I didn't know it was generic) causing some damage that makes the machine skip stitches (it won't sew at all even straight stitching now). I haven't got the machine fixed yet. The new machines are just too touchy! The old machines took all kinds of abuse and still kept right on trucking!

The FW maintenance class I took a few days ago was a perfect example of how well those old machines work. One of the gals in the class pulled out a ton of lint, and threads that were wrapped around her bobbin hook/race up to 6 inches long! That machine still sewed, although, I am sure it was much happier after being cleaned up! Try doing that on a modern machine and see if it will work!

Nancy