Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 403 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 303 353 393 402 403 404 413 453 503 903 1403 ... LastLast
Results 10,051 to 10,075 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Banned
    Good morning all and how are we doing this AM? The Shop is open and the coffee is going and I see lots of donuts so it looks like a good day today! We are fixing to get the snow in a bit so this will be an interesting day 6"-12" is what we are looking at today and it is looking like the later will be the magic number today.

I went on the Smithsonian last night (my favorite site next to this one :D ) and stayed in there until 3am. There are tons of information in the site for vintage machines there. And I found out lots about my Domestic I just got and I am excited to get it home this weekend!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    love that quilt, may i copy? also, i've been watching this site for a mere coupl of months and have aquired ten vintage machines. i think i have a problem, but i guess as probs go, there are much worse. LOL
    Geeze, you do have the bug for sure, but I doubt you have the record - close though!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Well I think I figured my Domestic out. I have started to really love the pre 1900 machines and looks like they are following me home now. The Domestic I have is apparently somewhere around 1874 to 1880 from what I can tell about its serial number. It comes with its owners manual and there was not a date on it anywhere.

But here is a catalog page with the machine on it and it is the # 3 family cabinet on the top left. And came with a hefty price back then at $60 a pop!

Billy
    Billy, I love the shape of that machine! The poster is really neat to look at too. Can't wait to see the actual machine, when you are ready to post the picture!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    I went on the Smithsonian last night (my favorite site next to this one :D ) and stayed in there until 3am. There are tons of information in the site for vintage machines there. And I found out lots about my Domestic I just got and I am excited to get it home this weekend!!

Billy
    Good morning Billy! By the Smithsonian are you talking about ISMACS? If not, please post a link.

The donuts are nice and hot and I am having a cappaccino, my favorite morning drink! I have to work some horses today - won't have much time for this addition - which, is a good thing seeing that I am so hopeless! All the pictures everyone posts just feeds this addiction and makes us all want more! Sometimes, I feel so guilty, but I degress. Today is going to be close to 70 - no excuse to hunt for machines -- horses are waiting! Anyway, I tell DH this addiction is sooooooooo much cheaper than bringing home horses!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Finally got a couple of pictures of some of my recent purchases.

My 201. Got if free.
    Name:  Attachment-100917.jpe
Views: 138
Size:  43.0 KB

Brown Domestic
    Name:  Attachment-100918.jpe
Views: 143
Size:  42.7 KB

Singer 99
    Name:  Attachment-101096.jpe
Views: 145
Size:  55.9 KB

The 66 Billy is shipping me a HC for
    Name:  Attachment-101097.jpe
Views: 139
Size:  60.8 KB

White Featherweight
    Name:  Attachment-101195.jpe
Views: 134
Size:  42.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Congrats on your new machines. You do realize you are totally addicted???? :lol:

Blog Entries
    I have a Singer 101 head that needs rewiring. It is free for the shipping cost. The wiring is so bad I don't dare test it to see if the motor runs. I can send pics if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    You had fun yesterday! I like them both. Fusing makes those curve pieces so much more easier and fun to work with. I want to try a quilt as you go block. Some friends have tried it and liked working with one block over having to wrestle with a large quilt. Very pretty quilts!
    Thank you guys for the compliments! Quilt As You Go is a fun way to use your treadles or even the electric vintage machines. You are only working with one block at a time to quilt, but when I finish 4 blocks (the blocks are 17"s square), then you still have to do a little wrestling to attach them to the sashing. Not like trying to quilt a queen sized quilt, though, and wrestle the whole thing just to quilt it! I have done that many a time! The really neat thing about the way I did these blocks is your blocks don't have to all measure the exact same thing! When you use the back ground, attach it to all sides and put the blocks on point, wacky, then square each one up to 17 1/2"s, no one ever knows your blocks didn't all measure exactly 12 1/2 inches to start with! Love it!

The really neat thing about this is that you can make a completely reversible quilt. Here I am using flannel on the back to make a comfort quilt, but I have done one completely reversible.

Nancy
    Oh sorry about the pink, orange, and yellow stickies! I have to number the blocks to make sure they stay wacky!
    Nancy, is this quilt in a book that can be bought? I love it and would love to make it for my soon to be grand daughter (gonna marry my oldest grandson) Any info would be greatly appreciated. I love star quilts. Thanx

Hey Billy,
    I posted some pics of the Vintage Singer attachments that Moosegirl sent me.
    Can you move that post to the main thread here?
    At least I am hoping you can and that they qualify for posting on the Vintage space.

Blessings,
    Sandi

Blog Entries
    I love everyone of your machines! What year is the white FW?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    Nancy, is this quilt in a book that can be bought? I love it and would love to make it for my soon to be grand daughter (gonna marry my oldest grandson) Any info would be greatly appreciated. I love star quilts. Thanx
    Actually, the blocks are from a Block of the Month held in our local quilting store. The Quilt as you Go technique is the way I am finishing the quilt blocks. The two techniques are not related. I could send you copies of the instructions for the quilt blocks. There are 12 blocks, but I made 20 - doubled some. I could also send you copies of how to put it all together with the Quilt as you Go instructions!

Send me a PM with your address is you want the instructions!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    1937 I think.

Blog Entries
    Yes, and my DH won't let me forget it, either. I think he is starting to understand though. He is working on my 201, gonna change the grease as soon as it arrives. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Buslady,
    You have a very nice collection of machines. Have fun sewing with your 201!

Blog Entries
    You had fun yesterday! I like them both. Fusing makes those curve pieces so much more easier and fun to work with. I want to try a quilt as you go block. Some friends have tried it and liked working with one block over having to wrestle with a large quilt. Very pretty quilts!
    Thank you guys for the compliments! Quilt As You Go is a fun way to use your treadles or even the electric vintage machines. You are only working with one block at a time to quilt, but when I finish 4 blocks (the blocks are 17"s square), then you still have to do a little wrestling to attach them to the sashing. Not like trying to quilt a queen sized quilt, though, and wrestle the whole thing just to quilt it! I have done that many a time! The really neat thing about the way I did these blocks is your blocks don't have to all measure the exact same thing! When you use the back ground, attach it to all sides and put the blocks on point, wacky, then square each one up to 17 1/2"s, no one ever knows your blocks didn't all measure exactly 12 1/2 inches to start with! Love it!

The really neat thing about this is that you can make a completely reversible quilt. Here I am using flannel on the back to make a comfort quilt, but I have done one completely reversible.

Nancy
    Oh sorry about the pink, orange, and yellow stickies! I have to number the blocks to make sure they stay wacky!
    Where is the picture of this quilt? I missed this one. I too would like to learn how to quilt as you go.
    Thanks

The picture is on page 668

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher

Nancy
    Where is the picture of this quilt? I missed this one. I too would like to learn how to quilt as you go.
    Thanks
    There's one called "Ditter's string quilt" that is a good basic quilt on this board. Bobbie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara
    Hey Billy,
    I posted some pics of the Vintage Singer attachments that Moosegirl sent me.
    Can you move that post to the main thread here?
    At least I am hoping you can and that they qualify for posting on the Vintage space.

Blessings,
    Sandi
    Sure will do ma'am!!

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by grannysewer

Nancy
    Thanks
    There's one called "Ditter's string quilt" that is a good basic quilt on this board. Bobbie
    What page is Ditter's string quilt pictured on?

Banned
    Its snowing like crazy right now and we have close to 2" and gaining fast!! It looks like we are going to get around 8 to 12 inches. Fayetteville AR got hit with around 2' if my wife heard right and that system is just coming in.

I will post photos when I pick it up at the ladies home. She had to move quite a bit to dig the machine out so I told her just call me when you have it out.

Billy, I love the shape of that machine! The poster is really neat to look at too. Can't wait to see the actual machine, when you are ready to post the picture!

Nancy
    ;)

Banned
    Okay kids (and Glenn :D ) I think I have found a supplier for the spoked handwheels for the handcrank conversions. You know that I am a stubborn person when it comes to buying quality parts for my customers and I think these handwheels will do the trick!

So if the test subject works out like I think it will then I will be selling both the handcrank kits and the HC's by themselves.

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grannysewer

Nancy
    Thanks
    What page is Ditter's string quilt pictured on?
    She's on the main pages under "Ditter's string quilt"

Blog Entries
    Okay kids (and Glenn :D ) I think I have found a supplier for the spoked handwheels for the handcrank conversions. You know that I am a stubborn person when it comes to buying quality parts for my customers and I think these handwheels will do the trick!

So if the test subject works out like I think it will then I will be selling both the handcrank kits and the HC's by themselves.

Billy
    Sounds good to me. Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Anyone have any idea what kind of Singer is in this picture in a Craigslist ad, I came across? You really have to love some of the pictures that people put in their ads.... :roll: :mrgreen:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/art/2200961889.html

I don't think it's a Rocketeer or a 301.
    No, it's much newer than those.

Quote Originally Posted by HisPatchwork

Thank you Miz Johnny! Do you know how I can find the date it was made? I found a manual that said SERATA, Vibrating Shuttle Sewing Machine,Robert Nelson & Co, Manufacturers of Domestic Machines, London and Branches. There is not any ID from Stoewer. I did see one machine that was #654?71 dated 1904 and mine is # 640765 I downloaded the manual at this website: http://sewingwishlist.com/serata-manuals.html My friend was in England when she was given the machine 20yrs ago and one of the shops called Robert Nelson & Co was in Hastings.{England} http://mylookbackintime.com/Family_S...brill__Manager,_Domestic_Madman.html Interesting that one of the manager's relatives emigrated to Winnepipeg, Canada and one of the links you gave was someone who bought hers in Canada. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures from Needlebar. They said you could get help with dating your machine from Mr Needlebar dating...how? I couldn't find a link.
    No--Needlebar used to have an online tool called something like "Mr. Needlebar's Guide to Dating" which was a wonderful tool to help dating the old machines, but it is long gone. The serial number on yours is so close to the other that I would date it at Ca. 1903 for now, until someone comes up with a better method.