Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-05-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
After restraining myself from bidding on a 201-2 on eBay I found one on Craigslist, last night!! I went to pick it up this morning. It was $75 and it came in a #71 Singer cabinet!!

Not sure how much it weighs but man oh man----it's HEAVY!!
Great find, nice looking machine and I like the cabinet too.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:17 PM

Thanx.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:20 PM

I have been lurking more than posting, it is a full time job keeping up with the posts. Just love reading every word of it.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Is it possible for the novice, like me to purchase SERVICE/REPAIR manuals for the various machines, or only INSTRUCTION manuals? If so is there a good place? I haven't found any yet
Thanx.
All of my service manuals I picked up from Sewing repair shop buy outs, but you should be able to find the service manuals out there somewhere.

Billy
Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 PM

[quote=kwendt]
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Glenn
Okay guys... what about Tung oil. Yes? No?
I used Formby's Tung Oil high gloss finish on my cabinets. I like the look. You can also use 100% Tung Oil that Lee Valley sells. I use that on my kitchen wooden counter top, works well.
I get a lot of my stains and shellac from Lee Valley, I do not like Formby's and I really do not tung oil. It must be reaplied every year or so to keep the furniture looking good. Shellac provides a much better moisture barrier than tung oil. I do nodt think tung oil is bad I just think shellac is a better finish. Glenn
Hum... okay. I guess it's a personal thing.. but if the one is a better moisture barrier, then that's a reasonable reason for me to choose that over the other. Meanwhile, when I got home this afternoon, one of the cats had thrown up on top of teak entertainment center. Can we say... nasty mess/nasty spot? <sigh> Tonight, I'll be fixing that. I love my cats, I love my cats, I'm not in Kansas anymore... I love my cats, I....
Teak is one of the woods that need oil to preserve the finish. If the cat stuff left a stain in the wood you can mix equal parts baking soda and corn starch with a little water to make a paste and put on the stain until removed. Then teak oil several times to even out the color. If not to bad you can just use cornstarch dry over the stain. I hope you are lucky and no staining. Glenn
Old 02-05-2011, 03:46 PM

If the sewing cabinets are later models then they could have a lacquer finish on them. I mean after the 1940 or so. They sealed the wood with wood filler to close the grain so the lacquer would be very smooth. Stripping will not get this filler out of the wood grain and tung oil will not penetrate properly. This is one reason I use shellac. They used lacquer because is dried in just a few minutes. Shellac dries to the touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated then so with in about 2 hours you can apply three coats and the next day can be used. You can rub down the finish with paste wax(I use briwax clear) and 0000 steel wool, this will take the new look off the finish.
Billy who need the NB anyway!!! Glenn
Old 02-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
After restraining myself from bidding on a 201-2 on eBay I found one on Craigslist, last night!! I went to pick it up this morning. It was $75 and it came in a #71 Singer cabinet!!

Not sure how much it weighs but man oh man----it's HEAVY!!
Very pretty machine and cabinet! The 201 is one of my very favorite Singers. I have a 201-4, that I sometimes hand crank, most of the time I treadle it.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 PM

[quote=cabbagepatchkid]After restraining myself from bidding on a 201-2 on eBay I found one on Craigslist, last night!! I went to pick it up this morning. It was $75 and it came in a #71 Singer cabinet!!

Oh I am so happy for you! I have a 201 - that has parts from my DH"s shop to make it sew ok, and I love it, but I'd love one that is complete. I'm still looking but wish I could find on that didn't involve shipping! Great looking machine!
Jane
Old 02-05-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2196572459.html

I'm just curious about this machine & the price tag.
Any comments?
Minni ha ha???? for real?
:D Minni ha ha for $1,000 !!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by luv2learn
Is it possible for the novice, like me to purchase SERVICE/REPAIR manuals for the various machines, or only INSTRUCTION manuals? If so is there a good place? I haven't found any yet
Thanx.
All of my service manuals I picked up from Sewing repair shop buy outs, but you should be able to find the service manuals out there somewhere.

Billy
Thanx Billy, I just thought if I could get one, I wouldn't have to bug you with so many little questions. I know you will eventually run out of time for individual help. Thanx