Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 AM
Banned

Hi All, WOW what a week it has been!! I have been cranking in the hours and havent had the chance to drop by. It has been fun trying to keep up with the PMs but I do not mind at all. If I haven gotten to yours please be patient I am getting there!

But finally the Garage is starting to look empty again (well not empty but at least I do not have cars everywhere right now) and I can go to the studio and work in there for a while and hopefully put a dent in the machines I have to work on this weekend!

I will be checking in up here in the front while I am in the back working away today!! (you know I miss seeing all of you guys)

Billy
Old 04-01-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by jljack

My 301 is still going "click click click" at the needle plate. I have taken the bobbin carrier out a couple of times to be sure it is in right, wiggled it around, still get the "click click". I'll try oiling it some more, and I do need to take out the whole bobbin assembly and clean it really well, because the tension keeps creeping tighter.
Have you joined any of the Yahoo Groups for vintage Singer machines, yet? They might be able to help you with this problem.
The only other thing that I can think of is have you tried a different presser foot or different slide plate? Possibly the needle is just barely nicking the metal on it's way through the hole. That happened on my newer model Phaff and when I tried a different presser foot I found that the original presser foot was defective.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:39 AM

[quote=purplefiend]
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
For anyone in the north eastern Massachusetts there is a really nice Wheeler and Wilson sewing machine and gorgeous coffin top cabinet for only $70.00 :shock:

Here is the CL link:http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/atq/2297262273.html

OMG that Wheeler and Wilson is beautiful! I wish I lived closer to Boston. :(
Sharon W. in Texas
Sharon that cabinet is beautiful, I think it is the same cabinet as my Wheeler & Wilson from Portugal on page 419. Does anyone here actually sew on their Wheeler & Wilson's? I love to use my Singer 9W (basically the same thing), but I have not sewn on the W&W except to see if it works ok? To me the W&W's are a class above the rest!

Nancy
Old 04-01-2011, 04:44 AM

I got brave last night and took apart a singer. Had my iPad next to me so I could keep track of what I was doing compared to Billy's photos and tutorials. Thank you Billy. You sure made it a lot easier and less scary. Now for the question part. Is there anything I can use to clean besides kerosene? It is still too cold here to clean outside and I really cannot stand the fumes of kerosene in my house. Now that I got brave and took her apart I would like to finish. Thanks again Billy for the great information and the photos really helped a lot.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
The 401 takes cams, the easy to find top-hat style. I agree I wouldn't want to haul a 401 to class, but if all other things were equal (cost, condition, etc.) and I could only have one machine, I would definitely prefer a 401.
Well, I just took my 503a to class! It probably weighs the same as the 401 - wasn't a big deal. I took another Patchabilities class and needed a button hole stitch, which top hat cam #8 does! I'm with you Miz Johnny, if I wanted a good machine with decorative stitches, I'd go for the 401.

Nancy
Old 04-01-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pat Heinemann
Well, I got my Singer 27 working a bit, I am going to have to play with it tomorrow as it is not stitching good. Maybe every one inch is ok. Sure is fun to treadle on it. Pat
Congratulations Pat! Just keep at it -- those old girls had perfect stitches!

Nancy
Old 04-01-2011, 05:00 AM

HanNatNana, love your Avator photo. Is that a photo or fabric?

Billy glad you got a chance to check in - we are all tip-toeing along knowing you're there keeping tabs on us!

Cabbagepatch, I had the same problem with a new 1/4" foot I was using on my 1222e Pfaff. The thread kept breaking and I thought grrrrrrrrr now I have a second Pfaff that needs to be worked on! It was just the needle hitting the foot - defective foot!

Nancy
Old 04-01-2011, 05:24 AM

Ok you guys here is a machine I have been watching on our Craigslist for a couple months. He started out asking $450 and is coming down. I wish I could fit another treadle, I'd make an offer on this one!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2298417622.html

Nancy
Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
My 301 is still going "click click click" at the needle plate. I have taken the bobbin carrier out a couple of times to be sure it is in right, wiggled it around, still get the "click click". I'll try oiling it some more, and I do need to take out the whole bobbin assembly and clean it really well, because the tension keeps creeping tighter.

Sounds like the needle plate has a burr on it or the needle is hitting it. Pull the plate off and check it for burrs and then put it back on making sure the little finger on the hook assembly is in between the blocks on the bottom. Then with the handwheel slowly turn it and watch the needle and see if it is hitting.

Billy
Old 04-01-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
I am trying to catch up on the posts. I have been having trouble with my computer. Grrrr. I need to get updates.
The Board Admin did service on the server on Tuesday and things have been a little wonky since then so it could be the server.