Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-19-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
OK Vintage Machine owners...another question...On my 301 and my Redeye when you wind bobbin the needle goes up and down also...Is there some way to wind the bobbin without that happenning? I'm thinking not...but maybe I'm missing something.
hobbykat1955, if you loosened the clutch to disengage the needle your needle should not be going up and down. I have found with several of my vintage machines - even after cleaning them and oiling them - that this does happen the first time a wind a bobbin. What I do at that point is physically hold the needle still - making sure your clutch is loosened so the needle should not be moving. This will usually fix the problem as these machine sometimes sit so long that they are more or less frozen in place. When you do the winding while holding the needle still it seems to break them loose so they will work from then on like they are suppose to work with the needle quiet while the bobbin is being wound. Hope this helps.

Nancy

PS several of you mentioned this problem. This is the way I fix the problem. It has worked so far on every machine I have had the same problem with - that the needle keeps going up and down even after your loosen the clutch to wind the bobbin.
What mine are doing is that I can initially loosen the clutch, start winding the bobbin, and then the clutch tightens itself back up, of course then engaging the needle & it starts going up & down.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Hannatnana, let us know how it goes with the adapter, but I really want to try the adapter on one of my treadles!

Nancy
Will do Nancy...but as above it might be a few weeks until I get the next two machines. That is, unless another one follows me home before then!! LOL

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Hi Tommie,
I've finished 2 sets of blocks for the "Roses and Cream" TOBE,
used the 15-90k and 201K for those and started a 3rd set with the 66-1 Redeye.
Sharon W.
Tommie and Sharon,
What are you two working on? I would love to see your blocks.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

hobbykat1955, if you loosened the clutch to disengage the needle your needle should not be going up and down. I have found with several of my vintage machines - even after cleaning them and oiling them - that this does happen the first time a wind a bobbin. What I do at that point is physically hold the needle still - making sure your clutch is loosened so the needle should not be moving. This will usually fix the problem as these machine sometimes sit so long that they are more or less frozen in place. When you do the winding while holding the needle still it seems to break them loose so they will work from then on like they are suppose to work with the needle quiet while the bobbin is being wound. Hope this helps.

Nancy

What mine are doing is that I can initially loosen the clutch, start winding the bobbin, and then the clutch tightens itself back up, of course then engaging the needle & it starts going up & down.
Yep, that is exactly what has happened to me several times. I just keep loosening the clutch and holding the needle bar so it doesn't move. It may take a few attempts and lots of oil, but I have had success everytime with this technique. Most of the older machines have this problem because it has been years since they had to wind a bobbin.

Nancy
Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

Nancy

Yep, that is exactly what has happened to me several times. I just keep loosening the clutch and holding the needle bar so it doesn't move. It may take a few attempts and lots of oil, but I have had success everytime with this technique. Most of the older machines have this problem because it has been years since they had to wind a bobbin.

Nancy
I will definitely give it a try on both of them. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Hannatnana, let us know how it goes with the adapter, but I really want to try the adapter on one of my treadles!

Nancy
Will do Nancy...but as above it might be a few weeks until I get the next two machines. That is, unless another one follows me home before then!! LOL

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 04-19-2011, 08:53 PM

You guys that are getting flustered because you have asked questions and they were not getting answered - Like Miz Johnny said "ask again."

There are times we think someone else will answer, or as in my case - I have been so busy I barely had time to read the posts - much less answer them. Besides, the fact that it seems like this site is getting all jammed up as we are all posting twice, or it takes so long to post sometimes I give up, or the site is down. Just be patient, if someone can answer they will! Sometimes we just don't have an answer for you!

Nancy
Old 04-20-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
RaJean; Wow!! Does the machine sew nicely? Isn't it interesting what we will go through for our machines to get them up and running. She sure is beautiful. Have you tried the Ismacs site for more info? They may be able to help you out. www.ismacs.com I think that's the site.
I saw that tip for the treadle belt and it worked, so I gave it a try...it worked for the bobbin tire also.
I haven't tried that site yet...I will give it a try when I have a little time to look. It sews a very nice stitch and has reverse.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by tlpa
What a great site! I have a question on a featherweight I picked up not too long ago. It has a beautiful stitch, and would love to use it more but one problem is the motor smokes. I don't know if its from grease...or??? Can I open up the motor to see if there is a problem? Or is this something that needs to be checked by the pros? It doesn't take too long to start smoking, then I don't dare use it any more.
Thanks so much!
It sounds like somebody put oil rather than Singer lube in the motor. Make sure you take it to somebody that knows how to fix Featherweights.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by tlpa
What a great site! I have a question on a featherweight I picked up not too long ago. It has a beautiful stitch, and would love to use it more but one problem is the motor smokes. I don't know if its from grease...or??? Can I open up the motor to see if there is a problem? Or is this something that needs to be checked by the pros? It doesn't take too long to start smoking, then I don't dare use it any more.
Thanks so much!
It cant hurt to at least take a peak at the insides. You might see something obvious like a wad of dust or lint, or that indeed someone put oil all over in the motor. But if nothing looks out of place, ask a pro. Having your little machine burst into flames would be a bummer!