Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts

Thanks so much. The 301 does sew sew sweetly. She may be my travel machine. The Bernina is the bomb and sew sweetly as well. I just have to clean/organize my sewing space, which is a neverending chore, in order to get both set up nicely.
My 301 is my travel companion. She lives in her wheeled tote until we go to a class or quilting group. She is so light and easy to take...not a lot of extra accessories to pack and unpack.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by Moz
Mine does that also from time to time. I take the knob off and fiddle with the plate behind it but I know there's a specific way to deal with this that makes more sense.

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
Mine does not stop when I loosen the center knob on the hand wheel to wind the bobbin. Any ideas?
My FW has done this for a number of years & now my 403 has started it too. Would welcome more how-to info on fixing this problem on both my machines.
This is the advice that I saw in Dave McCallum's book, "The Featherweight 221 and I":

The little screw in the "stop motion screw" (or chrome knob) is tightened after turning the knob in until snug and then turn the little screw all the way in. It does not have to be tight. Snug is good.

With the screw snug, loosen the knob and the balance wheel should spin, without turning the rest of the machine. If not, loosen the little screw, turn the know 180 degrees back and resnug the little screw. Works now.

I haven't tried this myself, yet, but I'm sure this would work for the 301 as well as a FW.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well kids looks like I will be out of the shop for a while. We had one hell of a storm and there is damage all over the neighborhood including my house. My neighbor and I are going to whip out the chainsaws and surgically remove a tree from his home and cut a lot of limbs up in my yard.

My Studio took a hit last night but I dont think anything was hurt on the inside. But to go inside and to look I have to cut limbs out of the way. But I do not see any holes in the side or the roof of the studio so I think I should be good to go! The carport on it will need to be replaced I know that. But I am doing an edition to it right now anyway so it was going to come down anyhow.

Billy
Oh, Billy!!! Hope you and your family are OK, as well as your neighbors. Our prayers are with you and your neighbors as you work on the cleanup. So sorry to hear about this, and hope that none of your precious machines were damaged.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by luce321
BKinCO,

I hope this is not a stupid question but why is your machine referred to as a "redeye?" I am new at all this.
It is nicknamed either 'red eye' or 'red head' because of it's red decals.

Here is a picture of one of mine:
WOW! I love your red sofa in the background. The Redeye looks NICE with that sofa. heehee
Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well kids looks like I will be out of the shop for a while. We had one hell of a storm and there is damage all over the neighborhood including my house. My neighbor and I are going to whip out the chainsaws and surgically remove a tree from his home and cut a lot of limbs up in my yard.

My Studio took a hit last night but I dont think anything was hurt on the inside. But to go inside and to look I have to cut limbs out of the way. But I do not see any holes in the side or the roof of the studio so I think I should be good to go! The carport on it will need to be replaced I know that. But I am doing an edition to it right now anyway so it was going to come down anyhow.

Billy
I hope all is well for everyone from these series of horrific storms, weird weather. It is so sad to read that so many people are without homes from this.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
My 301 is my travel companion. She lives in her wheeled tote until we go to a class or quilting group. She is so light and easy to take...not a lot of extra accessories to pack and unpack.
Since I only have the machine and 2 - 3 bobbins, I also do not have tons of extra accessories. I also like the fact that the 301 is bigger than the FW and also has a bigger throat space so I actually could do some quilting with her and not just piecing. More and more, Rebecca, the 301, looks like my traveling companion. I travel for work and frequently take a sewing machine (because I can't travel with my cat) with me so I can destress by quilting at then end of the day.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 AM

Okay,Nancy or Kathie, which one of you picked up the 201 that was on CLs in Sacramento this past weekend? I thought by now one of you would be posting your wonderful find. I think the machine was under $90, can't remember the price. And I couldn't tell if it was a 201-2 or one that could be used in treadle from the photo, but it almost looked like one for treadle. Which is why I'm asking, because I'm curious to find out if it could be used in a treadle.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Lostn51 Well kids looks like I will be out of the shop for a while. We had one hell of a storm and there is damage all over the neighborhood including my house. My neighbor and I are going to whip out the chainsaws and surgically remove a tree from his home and cut a lot of limbs up in my yard.

Billy

Sorry to hear about your damage from last night. Sure glad nothing happened to the living loved ones. Glad you are feeling better and able to help out. Good luck with everything.
:shock: :thumbup:
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Billy, sorry to hear about the storm damage. Glad you and your family are ok. Go slow and take it easy. You are still recovering from being sick and we don't want you to get sick all over again.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Would someone tell me how to post a picture - pm me. I don't remember how to do it and I have machine pics to show. Thanks.