Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1644 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 644 1144 1544 1594 1634 1643 1644 1645 1654 1694 1744 ... LastLast
Results 41,076 to 41,100 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    If it is the bobbin cover you start at the back and go forward onto the clips. Some times you need a screwdriver to raise the spring/clips to go into the channels of the cover.
    Thanks Miriam, it doesn't seem to be the style I'm used to seeing. It has a clip on one side that is hinged on a screw but if I look at it logically to see what the clip has got to either clip or slide onto, then it just doesn't work. I know I need to post pics but I haven't been able to get any to upload on here for a while unfortunately...

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Slide plate with a clip??

Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    I have a stupid question, but I guess it can't hurt to ask. It has to do with reading this board. For some reason, the posts are too long for the boxes, and sometimes if there's a one-line reply, I can't read them at all.
    Hey Miz
    I think you have 3 choices for how you want your posts to be displayed.... Scroll to the top of this page and find the topic heading. Then look to the right of the screen and it says: Thread Tools v Search Thread v Display v
    and I think if you click on the drop down arrow for display, then you can choose how you want things to be displayed. Otherwise it will be somewhere in one of those. Sorry can't check while I'm writing!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Are you moved yet LOL
    Skip
    Aw Skip, you're making fun of me!!
    I deserve it, though!! I moved last summer; did a lot of work on both houses, and finally sold the old house in December. Still have "stuff" to do, but no energy to do it. I still have not organized the garage or sewing room and I still have a storage unit. My husband is throwing out not-so-subtle hints about the unit, so guess that will be on my list for the summer.
    I know I said no more machines, but I was hanging out with enablers!!!
    Miz Johnny

Thanks, frudemoo!! The help section tells how to upload pics, if you're having trouble with that.
    Miz Johnny

Blog Entries
    Aw Skip, you're making fun of me!!
    I deserve it, though!! I moved last summer; did a lot of work on both houses, and finally sold the old house in December. Still have "stuff" to do, but no energy to do it. I still have not organized the garage or sewing room and I still have a storage unit. My husband is throwing out not-so-subtle hints about the unit, so guess that will be on my list for the summer.
    I know I said no more machines, but I was hanging out with enablers!!!
    Just a little fun at you. I know I find it hard to pass up on these old machines to. Wife is about ready to put her foot down. I am up to 50 now and I also said no more machines. Oh well. I sure do like them thou. Sew with everyone of them.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    The water slide decals sold for china ( ceramic) work on machines. (auction site) You just have to clear coat or shellac over them and they come in hundreds of designs for cheep. I put poppies on a machine that I badged the Californian. Laura
    Laura, I would also like to know where I can get some Water Slide Decals too. Can you post a link? I have a repaint job that I am going to start here soon and want to know my options. Also, can you post a picture of your finished Californian? I would be very interested in seeing it.
    Thank you.
    ~Grant~

Hi Judy, your machine dates to 1901 and looks exactly like my model 27 machine from 1896 - I have a sphynx machine as well it's easy to get a manual from the Singer website or you can PM me and I might be able to find the copy I have to email to you. I've only just got mine as well but have done a fair bit of research ... and cleaning!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Granny Judy View Post
    just joined after doing research on my recent purchase of the Singer Treadle this week end. The Serial Number is pretty worn but I believe it says.. L10201159. Everything moves well, just needs a good cleaning and the belt put on as it sat in a shop for years and the belt was removed. Has a full set of accessories and Feet.

I was hoping you could tell me something about it... It has the Phoenix decal.. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Laura, I would also like to know where I can get some Water Slide Decals too. Can you post a link? I have a repaint job that I am going to start here soon and want to know my options. Also, can you post a picture of your finished Californian? I would be very interested in seeing it.
    Thank you.
    ~Grant~
    I got mine from this seller:http://www.ebay.com/sch/dream77catch...p2047675.l2562

Here's the californian....laura

Blog Entries
    Laura, the California is very nice and I like the decals. Nice work
    Glenn W. Cleveland

another ebay seller for decals is this one

mike_vtx2010

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Laura, the California is very nice and I like the decals. Nice work
    Thanks! It looks better in the photo- in person you can see the edges of the decals. Next time I will be more persnickety cutting out the decals. I've practiced on a couple of painted tins from mints or whatever since i did the machine. I should have practiced before I did the machine. But i let my enthusiasm take control. I used your technique for repairing shellac/clearcoat to cover the decals, and i put three layers. I think six coatswould be better. Live and learn. Laura

Blog Entries
    my shop was invaded by DGKs today
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/persona...180946-11.html
    Last edited by miriam; 04-08-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Laura, your California machine makes me smile!!!

Does anyone know where I can get some class 12x1 needles? I have found out that they are what I need for my Gritzner Durlach hand crank. I'm dieing to try it out.
    Last edited by Janis; 04-08-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks, frudemoo!! The help section tells how to upload pics, if you're having trouble with that.
    I'm only having trouble because it's not working... but that's very sweet of you

Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    Thank you Laura. You too Steve. I like the prices on the ones Laura posted but the decals themselves from Steve.
    Laura, the ones you used, were they for ceramics? I noticed that all of the decals from your supplier on Ebay were for ceramics. From what I read, the ones made for ceramics are kind of dull until they are fired in a kiln. The heat brings out the full colors then. Did you find the decals to be a little on the dull side? ~Stupid Question, if heat makes the colors pop, is there a way to heat the decals up either before or after they are applied to get full color without damaging the paint or any other heat sensitive parts on a machine? I think your Californian came out nice. Good Job!
    Steve, Have you used these decal sets before? Those look great and complete. If so, can you post a picture of your results with them too?
    Thanks a bunch.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Thank you Laura. You too Steve. I like the prices on the ones Laura posted but the decals themselves from Steve.
    Laura, the ones you used, were they for ceramics? I noticed that all of the decals from your supplier on Ebay were for ceramics. From what I read, the ones made for ceramics are kind of dull until they are fired in a kiln. The heat brings out the full colors then. Did you find the decals to be a little on the dull side? ~Stupid Question, if heat makes the colors pop, is there a way to heat the decals up either before or after they are applied to get full color without damaging the paint or any other heat sensitive parts on a machine? I think your Californian came out nice. Good Job!
    Steve, Have you used these decal sets before? Those look great and complete. If so, can you post a picture of your results with them too?
    Thanks a bunch.
    ~G~
    I'm watching, too.

sorry, but I have only had a couple of emails with the seller. Seems open to new/custom work as well.

I will order a set this week. I'm ordering the "celtic" set but I HATE the bed edge pattern. I am going to send him some suggestions for alternative designs and see what we can do.

Hi All Y'all!
    I was at the first meeting of the month for The Thank You Quilters today. We meet the 2nd & 4th Tuesday and Wednesday of the month.
    I brought my one of my shortbed black 301s with me today. I plugged everything in, the light came on, but no power to the foot control. Well I took the bottom off the foot control, all the wires looked good in there. So next I took the original connector apart that goes into the machine....oooh not good! Who the heck "fixed" this??? Some genius(not me) had put a new cord set on. They attempted to use the original part; so the wires were stripped and done badly, leaving only 2 strands of wires per connector. The foot control worked intermittently. I'm glad that I brought a featherweight with me too or I couldn't have sewn.
    Thankfully the local repairman is fixing things properly. He used to work in a shop that seldom ordered new parts, so he had to learn to fix things properly.
    I wish I knew how to do it, since I don't I'll leave it to the expert.
    Sharon
    P.S.: I sold the machine today!! So the foot control needed fixing ASAP.

Blog Entries
    I worked on two Singer Touch & Sew machines today. One came with a treadle base with no machine but a hole in the cabinet big enough for the T&S in other words the poor cabinet was butchered. The machine was filthy on the outside.
    Name:  Mercy and Lovie April 8, 2013 035.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  132.2 KB

Blog Entries
    The inside was needing some clean up. The plastic gears were intact so I dug in on it - why not give the poor machine a chance. The stitch selectors were gummed up but I got them free thanks to T-F and some heat. It took quite a bit of clean up to keep the selectors moving. The underside of the machine looked like it was starved for oil. The tension was a little filthy so I took it apart and rebuilt. The bobbin winder was fine. So I test sewed. Perfect. Wow. I'm thinking this one should chain stitch. It is a lot like the 401, 500, 600 etc but noisy due to the plastic gears. Then I had another T&S machine Wilbur started cleaning yesterday. It was sort of like the 403 and 503 in that you have to use disks for anything other than straight stitch. This one was fairly clean inside and out and runs fine. Seems there are some T&S machines out there that are fine.

Blog Entries
    Oh and the after pic of Fern, the T&S - (a little tag on front says Fern)
    Name:  Mercy and Lovie April 8, 2013 042.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  129.2 KB

All the gears need replacing?

Blog Entries
    I forgot to shoot the pic of the other T&S machine oh well if you've seen one....
    and yes I did change out the avitar - Miss Lovie is cleaning some older metal Singer zz (I can't remember what model) machine I dragged home. She was in her element - the machine was FULL of lint. She loves to dig out lint and grease. She is learning where to tools go back to. We also dis-assembled the bobbin area and she was catching on how to put it back. Next time I think I'll make her do it. I love my lights I got a IKEA in Cincinnati last weekend. WOW.
    Last edited by miriam; 04-09-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    All the gears need replacing?
    the gears were in perfect shape