Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well, I bid on the Jones machine, but we lost our internet for a few days so I did not get that one! It ended up selling for $62 plus shipping - not bad.

I have been piecing with my new Morse 15 clone (page 929) and I am in love with that machine! It is so quiet - yes, Monica I am using an electric machine! LOL! And, Yes, I perfer my treadles most of the time too! I like to make something with each machine I have! I am still in awe of the workmanship that went into this machine compared to a Singer 15!

Nancy
Nancy, That is a beautiful machine! The Morse 15 clones are cool looking, and I love the color blue! You can always take the motor off, or just take the belt off, and set the machine up to treadle. I would give it a try and if you don't like the set up then go back to using the motor. :)
Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Does anyone know about the Singer 185J or have one? I would like to learn more about it. My understanding is they are similar to the Singer 99. :-D
They are really nice machines. I own a 185K (which has the plated faceplate) and I painted one for a little girl for her Christmas Present. You can never go wrong with this machine!

Billy
Billy,
That is such a sweet machine for a girl! I was never a fan of the color pink. The first time you showed us this finished paint job of this machine, all I thought of was Pepto pink. Now that you have posted again, this color is growing on me. I'm picturing a room with browns and a quilt with the same color pinks with browns.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 PM

[quote=cherrybsixty][quote=vintagemotif][quote=cherrybsixty]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

Is this the quilt that some guy was going to trash, but you rescued? A quilt from early 1900s? I would love to see this quilt!
He was using it to work on the ground and he had been using it to work on cars. There were oil stains and mildew and paint stains all in it. The cleaner did an awesome job. He sold it to me for the cost of the cleaning.
OMG! I remember this now, when you posted this info.
Please, please post a picture! Do you have before and after?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Okay, all my "know it all" friends!! I have a featherweight that I have pieced quilts on, but now it seems the bobbin shuttle(?) goes all the way around. Shouldn't it go one way for a bit and then back a bit or is it supposed to go all the way around?? The bobbin won't seat itself and therefore won't sew. I can't think of a thing I've done, other that remove the bobbin to rewind it. I'm stumped.
I'm wondering if I should tip it up on end to get a good look. I need to get a place in the garage to work on a few machines, but hubby is not loosening his grip!
check out page 8 or 9 in the operator manual
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...es/singfea.pdf

Figure 12 look at B2 and A2
Then on the next page there is a "CAUTION: If the throat plate is removed for cleaning the stitch forming mechanism, etc., make certain when replacing the throat plate that the position finger (A2) enters the notch (B2) of the position plate attached to the under side of the throat plate."

those old manuals have a lot of info - it might pay to check in there
Thanks, Miriam....my next move was to inspect that area and try to seat the bobbin again. I'm pretty sure it's just operator error...it was working up until the bobbin needed replacing!
I like to print out the manuals so I can doodle on them while I work. You can also blow them up on the copy machine. Did you know you can also enlarge on the computer by holding down your 'control key' and hitting your '+ key' at the same time. To get it back to smaller hold the 'control key' and hit the '- key' you can hit more than once and it will keep getting bigger or smaller. You can also print only the manual page you need at the time.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
It is crinkle black-don't recall if all the crinkle blacks were blackside.

Anyone know?

Did anyone noticed that since I found this board, the vintage machine addiction I have has escalated????? They were just sitting there in the living room minding their own business peacefully, and now they are all getting re-dos!

Are y'all SERIOUS enablers, or what? :>)
Wow, Okiepastor, you really are in this pretty deep -- just like most of the rest of us! Tommie is great to help you get all those machines up and running! I am so glad you are fixing up the ones you have!

Nancy
Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
A link showing my new "lady" before and after... :)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-123819-1.htm#3272086
Wow Charlee, that 15 looks like a new machine and all you did was TR-3? The cabinet in amazing too! It looks like you re-did the cabinet - sanding and all, but you got that look with Howard's restore a finish? No sanding? Amazing!

Wow beautiful!

Nancy
Old 05-18-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by okiepastor
It is crinkle black-don't recall if all the crinkle blacks were blackside.

Anyone know?

Did anyone noticed that since I found this board, the vintage machine addiction I have has escalated????? They were just sitting there in the living room minding their own business peacefully, and now they are all getting re-dos!

Are y'all SERIOUS enablers, or what? :>)
Wow, Okiepastor, you really are in this pretty deep -- just like most of the rest of us! Tommie is great to help you get all those machines up and running! I am so glad you are fixing up the ones you have!

Nancy
I don't know either. This one is crinkle black. Never having worked on a crinkle, what is the best way to clean?
Tommie
Old 05-18-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy, That is a beautiful machine! The Morse 15 clones are cool looking, and I love the color blue! You can always take the motor off, or just take the belt off, and set the machine up to treadle. I would give it a try and if you don't like the set up then go back to using the motor. :)
I would love to put that Morse in a treadle! That machine weighs a ton so I am not too into trying to carry it around, although, it will be nice to be able to use it if I need a machine for a class that I can free motion quilt with. The problem is, where to put another treadle? My DH has been working on Betty's (Davis Vertical Feed) treadle for a month now. I really wanted that cabinet redone as I use that machine for binding now. Once I get that cabinet back in the house, I will have no room for another treadle - I have 8 treadles in the house now! I have two more treadle cabinets in the garage that need redoing -- my Sphinx's cabinet and my fiddle base VS 2's cabinet! I need to just let those cabinets go and switch heads in and out, but I hate to not 'fix' them! This addiction not only causes us all to get tons of machines, but we have this compulsion to 'have' to fix them all back up!

Nancy
Old 05-18-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I got it.. I got it!! :) Look at my new baby.. just won on Ebay. :) Paid $60. :)
Very nice 127 with Sphinx decals! I am using my 127 right now for my 'main' piecing machine, although, mine is a treadle! That is a very powerful machine, you will love it, but it weighs a ton! Congratulations on your new 'baby!'

Nancy
Old 05-18-2011, 05:59 AM

To all of you that are having trouble with your feather weights. Those FW were made so small that there is no room for error. If you guys don't put the bobbin casing in right, with the little arm in the notch or seat the bobbin correctly they will not sew. In order to get those machines so small - there is just no fudge room -- everything has to fit perfectly. If you get a thread caught in the bobbin casing, it really screws up the machine -- it won't sew. I'd get a really good book like "Featherweight 221 The Perfect Portable" by Nancy Johnson-Srebro. Really study the fit of the bobbin case, the throat plate, and how to insert the bobbin. Those are absolutely wonderful precision machines, but they have no room for errors. On a good note, it is almost impossible to ruin one, so most problems are human error!

Nancy