Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-27-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I am going on a mystery quilting retreat in NH with my sister's next week. Anyone else bring older machines to retreats full of newer shinier models?
I almost always take an oldie. My FW or one of the older Singers. They are such a joy to sew with and I usually find other FWs there as well.
Have a great retreat!!!
tomilu
Old 10-27-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
YAY!! I'm so glad she got here!! I have no doubt that you will work wondrous magic on her!

And....just totally uncalled for on my part...but I'm EXTREMELY jealous of those attachments!! :lol: ;)
They kinda make up for the horrible mess she's in, don't ya think? :wink:
Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by jljack
Well, here's some shots of my little Davis VF that arrived today. She's a MESS...my DH and I will work on cleaning her up as much as we can over the next few days. Some kind of gunk is just coated on her. Someone put a crappy motor on her some time in the distant past. But, she came with a.....shuttle!!! The prized boat shuttle!! And a bobbin. I am pleased about that. And everything moves smoothly, but needs cleaning and oiling extremely badly. She's a real project. Glad she came to us!!! We're up for it!!!
AWESOME!

Janice, Congrats on your new vintage machine. Can't tell if it's a boy or a girl yet...maybe a tomboy.

Looks like the junk on the machine might be the glaze all full of dirt and oil. I think this is a machine that just has to be cleaned to the point that all the junk is removed. Just do a test with oil to see if there are any decals. Most likely you will be stripping it down to the little bit of japan that is left on the machine and metal.

Maybe you should give this tomboy a heavy metal name. :)

Congrats on the attachments, way cool!

Looking forward to future pictures.
Like maybe, Steven Tyler???? LOL :D
Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
:thumbup: My 1948 FW named Baby goes to all my guild classes and the spring retreat! People always stop to "visit" with her and last year there were two more FW's at the retreat! This spring my "new" 1936 FW named "Daddy's Girl" (because my DH insisted that I buy it when he found it at an antique shop!) will be making the trip to the retreat with me!
Linda, I love that name....Daddy's Girl!!! Too cute!!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
YAY!! I'm so glad she got here!! I have no doubt that you will work wondrous magic on her!

And....just totally uncalled for on my part...but I'm EXTREMELY jealous of those attachments!! :lol: ;)
This is one I am going to follow with great anticipation (do you think you can post a picture or two as you progress with the cleaning/refurbishing?)!! I have an ancient machine here that is probably a lost cause and she looks kinda similar to yours in condition - so - I'm going to go with the premise that if you can do it so can I. This should be nothing less than phenomenal!!!
I'm hoping to start on her on Saturday. I work full time, so.... have to budget my time. Anyway, Yes, I will post "In Process" pics. I think it's gonna be a trial and error....starting with machine oil to see how much gunk we can get off like that...it's literally caked on in some areas.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:35 AM

They kinda make up for the horrible mess she's in, don't ya think? :wink:
Yep!! Sure you don't want to just part out the machine and send me the attachments?? ;) :lol:
Old 10-27-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Well, here's some shots of my little Davis VF that arrived today. She's a MESS...my DH and I will work on cleaning her up as much as we can over the next few days. Some kind of gunk is just coated on her. Someone put a crappy motor on her some time in the distant past. But, she came with a.....shuttle!!! The prized boat shuttle!! And a bobbin. I am pleased about that. And everything moves smoothly, but needs cleaning and oiling extremely badly. She's a real project. Glad she came to us!!! We're up for it!!!
AWESOME!

Janice, Congrats on your new vintage machine. Can't tell if it's a boy or a girl yet...maybe a tomboy.

Looks like the junk on the machine might be the glaze all full of dirt and oil. I think this is a machine that just has to be cleaned to the point that all the junk is removed. Just do a test with oil to see if there are any decals. Most likely you will be stripping it down to the little bit of japan that is left on the machine and metal.

Maybe you should give this tomboy a heavy metal name. :)

Congrats on the attachments, way cool!

Looking forward to future pictures.
Like maybe, Steven Tyler???? LOL :D
Steven Tyler!! :D He wants me, ya know!! (He just doesn't know it yet...poor man!! :lol: )
Old 10-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ndnchf
Well I made a new topic for a WPA owned Singer 31-15 I picked up. I put it in the photo section, but still could not figure out how to tag it for VSMS. I looked at the "Add to topic list" tab at the top left after I posted it, but VSMS is not on the list. Hopefully someone can tag it. Here's a link for the time being:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-163581-1.htm#4567025

Steve
I will add it to the list if Sharron hasnt already. The 31-15 is a really nice machine to own and I have a couple of them that I need to refurbish if I can ever get the chance.

Billy
Old 10-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ndnchf
Well I made a new topic for a WPA owned Singer 31-15 I picked up. I put it in the photo section, but still could not figure out how to tag it for VSMS. I looked at the "Add to topic list" tab at the top left after I posted it, but VSMS is not on the list. Hopefully someone can tag it. Here's a link for the time being:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-163581-1.htm#4567025

Steve
I will add it to the list if Sharron hasnt already. The 31-15 is a really nice machine to own and I have a couple of them that I need to refurbish if I can ever get the chance.

Billy
Old 10-27-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
See the 'reserve not met'? I've bid on things from the Rochester Goodwill before - even though I'm in town the reserve is usually so high its hardly worth bidding. There is a white that is up to $25.99 that has been up over $50 before - if it doesn't make reserve they pull it and list them again later.
Yes, come to think of it.. .I've seen that too. Deplaylady, since you're 'in town'... if you happen to be over that way, can you see if that wheel or shaft is bent? If the shaft is bent, I can fix it without too much problem I think. Take me all of about 2 minutes on my anvil. I'm wondering if the head is cracked or damaged from whatever force it was that might have been used.

But if they've got the thing reserved for $50 or more, I can't afford it.