Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-12-2011, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Handcrank for 128

Randa, From where did you order your handcrank? I will be ordering this week and was thinking of Sew Classic. I can't wait to put one on my new-to-me 1926 128! I think I will go ahead and get a spoked wheel and crank for the 99k that I know I will find super cheap somewhere soon. How is that for wishful thinking?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:59 PM

This is the same machine I picked up at the yard sale, and definitely NOT at this price, lol. But I need a manual. This is such a nice little machine. The box of attachments fits on the back of the machine itself, and there are quite a few feet in there. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELNA-GRASSHO...item25693a48b6 Mine is very clean, seems to have had some tape on the bottom, but I think that will come off without much problem. The whole thing is about in the same great shape the one in the ad is.

Last edited by auniqueview; 11-12-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]287083[/ATTACH]

I need help again. Since I have my Hales Cresent pretty much figured out; and, I have almost finished the flip top to complete the re-finishing of my 319W's cabinet, I am now sanding and refinishing the Hitachi treadle. You guys remember when I bought this treadle. The people who had the treadle got it when they bought a storage unit - it was left in the unit. This treadle has original needle packages in the drawer with the original price tag marked in Japanese. The needles were not bought here - they would have had a US price tag on them. I have searched and search. I even sent e-mails to Hitachi and got back an answer that they never made a sewing machine. Well, Hitachi is all over this treadle - on the irons in 3 places, and on the machine. This is obviously an industrial machine. It has a knee bar to lift the foot - a really cool machine, but I can find out nothing about it!

Nancy
Sent you a PM...Kevin is the BEST at figuring out needles!!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Sent you a PM...Kevin is the BEST at figuring out needles!!
Looks like a Singer 1200 (industrial 201) made by a Japanese outfit and badged "Hitachi". Someone familiar with the Japanese makers might be able to ID. Looks like 50's vintage. Real nice machine.
Jon
Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Looks like a Singer 1200 (industrial 201) made by a Japanese outfit and badged "Hitachi". Someone familiar with the Japanese makers might be able to ID. Looks like 50's vintage. Real nice machine.
Jon
This is a tailor's machine like the 1200 except post WWII, no electric??????
Old 11-13-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Question time (again!) For you e machine owners: I bought a Universal in a very pretty turquiose and white that looks like my mother's cherished White from the 50s. I am dying to sew on it, figueratively, but do not want to die to sew on it. The cord from the motor to the cabinet is two bare wires with shreds of black covering. When I replace that cord (the light cord looks okay), do I need to save the plug? It is not polarized like modern plugs. Will the cabinet accept a new polarized plug? I do not want to do this, I hate working with electricity, but I have to do it, so I want to do it right.
Irishrose, I wish I could help you but my DH does the wiring. I am answering you in the hopes that someone else on here will see this post and answer it! Miriam?

Nancy
Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
This is a tailor's machine like the 1200 except post WWII, no electric??????
Jon I agree it looks like an industrial machine - tailor's machine/sweat shop machine? It is similar to the industrial Singer's, but different too. No this is a treadle, and from looking at the treadle it is made similar to Singer's straight leg treadle so I'd guess this machine from the 1930 to maybe late 40's? I have a Singer 15-88 with the straight leg treadle similar, but much smaller than this treadle. The treadle is much larger than your normal treadle - it takes a 75" belt and you know that with most treadle you buy the standard 72" belt and have to cut it down! It is a very interesting machine - has the knee pressure foot lift so who ever was using the machine didn't have to move their hands to turn something - very efficient! It also has reverse which means it pretty much had to be made later than 1930! I send an e-mail the Hitachi asking what years they made sewing machines so I could date this machine and got back an answer that they never made sewing machines! The needles I just mentioned because they are from Japan not here, which means a Japanese family sent them to someone here or the machine came over from Japan! There is absolutely no information on this machine that I can find anywhere!

Nancy
Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Irishrose, I wish I could help you but my DH does the wiring. I am answering you in the hopes that someone else on here will see this post and answer it! Miriam?

Nancy
I got DH to reply and the computer ate the reply. Basically those old ones were set up for either prong but if you put it on the polorized put it with the load on the fat end.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:59 AM

Tried to send pics of the 201 and the danged things won't load, maybe later. ugh
Old 11-13-2011, 08:19 AM

Jon I agree it looks like an industrial machine - tailor's machine/sweat shop machine? It is similar to the industrial Singer's, but different too. No this is a treadle, and from looking at the treadle it is made similar to Singer's straight leg treadle so I'd guess this machine from the 1930 to maybe late 40's? I have a Singer 15-88 with the straight leg treadle similar, but much smaller than this treadle. The treadle is much larger than your normal treadle - it takes a 75" belt and you know that with most treadle you buy the standard 72" belt and have to cut it down! It is a very interesting machine - has the knee pressure foot lift so who ever was using the machine didn't have to move their hands to turn something - very efficient! It also has reverse which means it pretty much had to be made later than 1930! I send an e-mail the Hitachi asking what years they made sewing machines so I could date this machine and got back an answer that they never made sewing machines! The needles I just mentioned because they are from Japan not here, which means a Japanese family sent them to someone here or the machine came over from Japan! There is absolutely no information on this machine that I can find anywhere!

Nancy
Finding the maker of this machine would be similar to finding the maker of a "Japanese Clone" I would imagine. Great machine, this is too nice and a little light for factory work, probably used by skilled pro without AC or just preferred treddlin. Jon
Jon