Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-15-2012, 12:46 PM

Does anybody want to have a good cry? or mount a rescue mission? I say RIP (Rust in Pieces). http://thumb.craigslist.org/atq/3114173244.html
Joyce
Old 07-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by good_apple View Post
Does anybody want to have a good cry? or mount a rescue mission? I say RIP (Rust in Pieces). http://thumb.craigslist.org/atq/3114173244.html
Joyce
Well, there are still good parts...
Old 07-15-2012, 01:48 PM

It was a straight stitch, in the 148 series I think. Really heavy.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:07 PM

Went to 2 auction previews today. First one had a 66-16 in a cabinet and a 15-91 (poor wiring, good cosmetically) in a cabinet. I'll probably go just to see how much interest there is in them. After seeing the 2nd house, I don't know if I want to bring anything home for a while. It belonged to a stage 4 or 5 hoarder--terribly sad to see. There were 3 sewing machines, but I couldn't get to them, too many boxes in the way. They must have belonged to his wife. Some quilts too, at least one with the binding tacked down but unsewn.

But, at the first house, I did see a quilt hanging in a stairwell that was interesting and brightened my day. One side looked almost pink, but the other was faded from being in the sun. It was a diamond star done with tiny, tiny piecing! I had to take pictures:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349278[/ATTACH]

My index finger showing the size of the diamonds in the border. The star was made of the same size diamonds. What a piecer!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]349279[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails old-quilt.jpg   oldquiltsize.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Bennett, that's an awesome quilt! I'd so love to be able to go to those auctions with you!!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by PBobbin13 View Post
Hello. I am cleaning up a beautiful lady I've dubbed Madame Martha after the woman who gifted me with this beautiful machine. It's an Eldredge improved model B treadle. So far have mostly worked on her finish which is coming to life after lots of elbow grease. I finally was able to get the head lifted up to search for treasure in the belly of the cabinet - and found two more bobbins giving me a total of five. They need to be cleaned with Brasso but I'm excited to have found them. One spot on the bottom is frozen up that controls the stitch length selector but I'll get it free. Everything else works smoothly. I'm fairly new to this board and wonder if the pictures of these old beauties are in the pictures section or somewhere within this section. The Eldredge was originally made in Chicago, then merged with the June Co. (maker of the Jennie June treadle) and after 1890 became the National Sewing Machine Co. which then became New Home and eventually became Janome. Very interesting history. Thanks for directing me to pictures of old machines.
Hi PBobbin13,

I would love to see your Eldredge Improved Model B treadle, please post! I have an Eldredge....or two...I also own an Eldredge Two Spools. Okay, here is a picture of my Eldredge. I need to work on the cabinet, but the machine works well thanks to Cathy, aka Mizkaki, coming to the rescue with a tension spring.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349284[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2012-07-15-3.25.43-pm.png  
Old 07-15-2012, 02:40 PM

Bennett, That is a beautiful quilt!! Thanks for sharing with us!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by good_apple View Post
Joyce
Joyce,
Your closer to them than I am, the seller's 989 area code is somewhere in Michigan. I'd love to rescue those poor machines. But no way for me to get there.

Joe
Old 07-15-2012, 07:47 PM

Getting excited...we leave tomorrow evening for our little trip to the coast, where I'll pick up Katherine, the 301 that the spousal unit's aunt picked up for me!
Should be a good time...providing that we can keep one or two family members from "running the show"! I'm actually getting pretty good at the word "NO!" tho, so am not too worried!

Have a little "service kit" all made up and ready to go with...it's got Tri-Flo, regular oil, cotton balls, q-tips, scraps of muslin, a larger scrap to test stitches, thread, snips, a couple of screwdrivers, needles... can you think of anything else that I might need?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Getting excited...we leave tomorrow evening for our little trip to the coast, where I'll pick up Katherine, the 301 that the spousal unit's aunt picked up for me!
Should be a good time...providing that we can keep one or two family members from "running the show"! I'm actually getting pretty good at the word "NO!" tho, so am not too worried!

Have a little "service kit" all made up and ready to go with...it's got Tri-Flo, regular oil, cotton balls, q-tips, scraps of muslin, a larger scrap to test stitches, thread, snips, a couple of screwdrivers, needles... can you think of anything else that I might need?
a little flashlight. i found i needed one when investigating machines i visited. and maybe a bobbin just in case.