Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM

nice finds charlee! i just luv the color of the sewing machine. and the quilt tops. there is a blue morse for sale on my local cl but not nearly as good a price.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/3113187426.html

Last edited by Havplenty; 07-10-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I feel like I just scored BIG TIME!!

My big expenditure of the day? $17 for a Morse 15 clone. Pretty blue machine...but it's got a broken belt, so I can't *really* test it, but turning by hand it turns easily and makes a nice stitch, and plugging it in, the motor turns...I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best! That was at Goodwill.

At St. Vinny's (St. Vincent DePaul), for a whopping $1.75, I brought home a throw size quilt top, sampler style and adorable...and an about 24" Christmas tree wall hanging that needs quilted too. Oh! And a vest pattern.

So....I'm a happy camper right now.
Hi Charlee, I love the Blue Morse 15 clone, it is awesome!! Wow! the quilt top is a great find!
Anamaria
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Here's a 1900's Davis Burdick manual which is similar. Minnesota B and Burdick are the same machine. If your neighbor's "A" was made in 1908 it was made by Davis.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...f/sil10-37.pdf

Jon
I knew it was Davis. I am a Davis fan I have three of them but no VF(someday I will fine one). Thanks for the info

Skip

Last edited by Glenn; 07-10-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Havplenty, That is a Singer 328.
thanks much. the owner was trying to sell but couldn't find the model info and i need to look the model up to see if it is something i am interested in looking to possibly maybe think about trying to bring it home with me.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Charlee I see you made a nice haul today nice machine and quilt tops. Lucky you

Skip
Old 07-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
thanks much. the owner was trying to sell but couldn't find the model info and i need to look the model up to see if it is something i am interested in looking to possibly maybe think about trying to bring it home with me.
The machine takes flat cams for nice decorative stitches. Here is a link to the sewing manual: http://sewingonline.co.uk/instructions/singer328k/
Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 PM

Charlee, Looks as if today was a lucky day for you. All your finds are really neat. Way to go.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
I have oiled the whole machine. I took it apart, bit by bit, to discover what moved and what did not. I have narrowed it down to the middle rod that runs from a gear on the right side over to the bobbin spinner on the left. The bobbin area does not move at all. All of the other parts move slightly when I move the hand-wheel, gently, back and forth. The needle bar was...is...stuck in the down position, but when I removed a few screws, I was able to unstick the needle bar, wiggle and lift it and removed the needle so it is no longer stuck in the bobbin area. That gear, that rod is the only thing that does not move. There wasn't a lot of lint, in fact, the machine looks pretty clean. The hair dryer sounds like a possibility. It does look, however, like a mouse had moved in for a while and stashed his seeds, but I got all that out. I really want to sew with this machine. The treadle runs SO smoothly.....

Question...when I do get it going...does a thicker lubricant go in the gear area? I think that's what I've read...or is that just for the newer machines with the plastic gears?
You can use Triflow grease on the gears.
I had a machine with a turning problem. It had a mouse nest up in the arm. Turned it upside down and shined a light up there and there was a big old nest. I pulled out the balance wheel and the back round thing and got rid of the stupid mouse nest... Make sure the mouse is evacuated first... I want to know how she picked there to nest.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Charlee, I'm so glad you don't live around here...
I picked up some kind of old Singer today - thing didn't want to turn. So I pulled out the bobbin case - had to tug on it... Then I tried to get the bobbin out - stuck good... The bobbin did not turn on the case. I think it was the wrong bobbin to begin with. I think someone got rid of that machine because they had the wrong bobbin. After I got that straightened out it was fine. Very little wear. I'm not sure what model it is - sort of a newer straight sew Singer with some plastic parts. I haven't powered it up yet but I am going to bet it is noisy. I figure if all else fails it has a new looking foot control and motor and it came in a nice cabinet with a very nice chair.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:24 PM

WHA...???? You don't want me to live close by you Miriam???? How come? Sheese....first I'm a "tightwad" and then she tells me she doesn't want me around!! (~hanging head to hide a grin~)

This Morse has a few issues...the nut on the stitch length lever has to be tightened all the way to keep it from falling when the machine is going.... (I got a STRONG rubberband to test with....I don't recommend it, but it kinda worked for a minute or two....before it wound around the motor pulley several times! ) I think it's going to be a good machine anyway... I like it...