Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 PM

Chris that is amazing! I love that cabinet! Good eye! Good catch!!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:32 PM

Randa ...
If your Dressmaker has a serial number with JA then it's probably a clone just like Bojangles explained. If not, then call White, they answer "Viking, Pfaff", and they can research the number and tell you when it was manufactured and possibly the location. Their number is 1-800-446-2333.

I was sure my Dressmaker was a clone because it looks just like a Singer 15. It has a side mounted tension knob, a knob on top to release the pressure foot pressure, and a dial marked "normal, silk, embroidery" which drops the feed dogs. I thought "Yay! FMQ!!" But I couldn't find a JA serial number on it. It's serial number is all numerals. So I called White and sure enough it was made by White in 1957 probably in Cleveland, Ohio. I like finding out a machine's heritage when I can so I think it's fun to have a date and maker.

Good luck on finding out about yours.
Jan
Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Nancy,

Do you have any knowledge about Western Electric sewing machines? I have a wonderful chainstitch with a hand crank that is badged Western Electric. But I am clueless about how to thread it. It was threaded when I bought it but it's not correct because the stitch knots up when you sew. It looks a lot like a Wilcox and Gibbs. Maybe I could use a W & G threading diagram? Thank you for your help!
Jan
Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Unique sewing cabinet got today. It has Duncan Phyfe looking feet and is something I've not seen before. Any guesses as to it's age? Just curious.
I love your new cabinet. If it needs a new home, here I am. Kathie
Old 06-03-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by jpete523
Randa ...
If your Dressmaker has a serial number with JA then it's probably a clone just like Bojangles explained. If not, then call White, they answer "Viking, Pfaff", and they can research the number and tell you when it was manufactured and possibly the location. Their number is 1-800-446-2333.

I was sure my Dressmaker was a clone because it looks just like a Singer 15. It has a side mounted tension knob, a knob on top to release the pressure foot pressure, and a dial marked "normal, silk, embroidery" which drops the feed dogs. I thought "Yay! FMQ!!" But I couldn't find a JA serial number on it. It's serial number is all numerals. So I called White and sure enough it was made by White in 1957 probably in Cleveland, Ohio. I like finding out a machine's heritage when I can so I think it's fun to have a date and maker.

Good luck on finding out about yours.
Jan
Thanks, Jan...here's a pic of mine:

S2402 and then LTS 006296
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206301[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206295.jpe  
Old 06-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Unique sewing cabinet got today. It has Duncan Phyfe looking feet.
I love your new cabinet. If it needs a new home, here I am. Kathie
Kathie; Thanks for your kind offer but, for now, I am passing. I want to see how much she'll hold and if it's useful. I suspect she was intended more for hand sewing, possibly tatting or even crocheting doilies, than for sewing machine use. However, I intend to use her for thread storage and maybe some not sew good scissors for DH and DD's to find sew they leave the good ones alone! :D:D
Old 06-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Oh Randa, she's pretty. Vaguely reminds me of my first machine, a Singer touch and Sew. There's a manual for a Dressmaker 2400 on Singer's website. Don't ask me, I don't know why it's there. But the picture on the cover looks a lot like yours. And it's FREE! Just type in w2400 and it will bring up w2400 SA. If you need help finding the manuals let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Jan
Old 06-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Kathie; Thanks for your kind offer but, for now, I am passing.

Chris that is a wise choice. That is a beautiful piece tho. I have never seen anything like it before. Kathie
Old 06-03-2011, 06:52 PM

Kathie; Thanks for your kind offer but, for now, I am passing.
Chris that is a wise choice. That is a beautiful piece tho. I have never seen anything like it before. Kathie
Kathie; Neither had I and that's why she's mine. I do haunt antique places and wanna be antique stores and never even come close to one like it.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Here is Kathie's newest machine.

A beautiful White!
Thank you, Nancy. I owe you another candy bar. What is your favorite? Kathie
Almond Joy! Have fun on your cruise! See you in a week!

Nancy