Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Penni, I think it's a fairly simple thing to do, but don't do it unless you have no alternative! (that's what I was told!)

Try this lady: [email protected]

Her name is Cindy, and if I'm not mistaken, she's got some needles for sale...
Old 05-10-2010, 01:44 PM

ok thanks
Old 05-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Okay Charlee,
I am trying to find Billy's post as to what to clean my singer treadle with. I can't seem to find now. Can you please let me know which page it is posted on. I would like to get started. I was brave enough to pull the plates off and look inside. I know he mentioned kerosine. But I can not remember the other supplies.
Thanks for your assistance.
Charlene
Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 PM

Jim,

My DD bought me a Singer Treadle machine today for $50. She knows how much I have been wanting one. :mrgreen:

Anyway, the throat plate is missing and so is the belt. Will I be able to find these missing parts?

And what about restoring the finish? I don't ever plan on selling or using it. I just want it for the memories I have of my Mom sewing on one just like it.

It is very dirty but I tried cleaning it some. It really need a more thorough cleaning when I have the time.

Here are a couple pics
Attached Thumbnails attachment-57308.jpe   attachment-57309.jpe   attachment-57310.jpe  
Old 05-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SherriB
Jim,

My DD bought me a Singer Treadle machine today for $50. She knows how much I have been wanting one. :mrgreen:

Anyway, the throat plate is missing and so is the belt. Will I be able to find these missing parts?

And what about restoring the finish? I don't ever plan on selling or using it. I just want it for the memories I have of my Mom sewing on one just like it.

It is very dirty but I tried cleaning it some. It really need a more thorough cleaning when I have the time.

Here are a couple pics
What is the Serial number on the machine? It is located on a boss in front of the pillar.

Use Go Jo NON PUMICE hand cleaner to clean the machines finish then follow up with Scotts Liquid Gold in the pour bottle. You can find all of this at you local hardware store.

Also you can find the plate your missing at you local sewing repair shop or the Singer Dealer.

Billy
Old 05-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chamby
Okay Charlee,
I am trying to find Billy's post as to what to clean my singer treadle with. I can't seem to find now. Can you please let me know which page it is posted on. I would like to get started. I was brave enough to pull the plates off and look inside. I know he mentioned kerosine. But I can not remember the other supplies.
Charlene
Look up at the post above!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also you can use Mothers Mag Wheel Polish or SemiChrome to polish the nickel plated parts.

Billy
Old 05-10-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay Charlee,
Charlene

Also you can use Mothers Mag Wheel Polish or SemiChrome to polish the nickel plated parts.

Billy
Billy I thought I had read where you said to use kerosine to clean the machine. Is this true?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
Jim,

Here are a couple pics
Wow, this looks just like mine. I am working on getting it running again.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay Charlee,
Charlene

Billy
Billy I thought I had read where you said to use kerosine to clean the machine. Is this true?
Yes but just the mechanics. Try to keep the Kerosene off of the finish the best you can but if any gets on there then you can wipe it off with a paper towel.

Billy
Old 05-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Linda B
I'm new to this forum, and have surfed a few pages of this thread, but rather than read 40+ pages (!), would like to ask a couple of questions. Do most of you actually use these old machines? If you do, what do they offer that a newer machine doesn't? My husband inherited one of the Singer treadles from his mother but gave it to his sister who got rid of it. I'm wondering now if that was a big mistake!!
I use mine almost everyday, it makes the best stiches for piecing quilts, There is nothing like them for sewing. And they do not give you any trouble. :-D Glenn