Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-13-2010, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
No1Jan- thanks for posting. Your cabinet and mine are identical except you have the Queen Anne legs and I have the Standard leges. It is a Singer model 40 cabinet. I prefer the Queen Anne legs as some of my furniture is that style. My mom was more conservative and chose the standard even tho she wanted the Queen. Do you have the bench?
Thanks.
No, no bench. I got this and the sewing machine off of Craigslist for $40.00. The cabinet does have water damage but I plan on refinishing it as soon as things slow down. At least it doesn't have any major damage.

I think I got a great deal, even though I need to fix the one cord going to the motor. She took very good care of it as she was also a quilter!

She didn't have any attachments though.

What machine do you have in your cabinet? I like the size. Easy to quilt on, along with the long throat on the 201.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:24 AM

Billy, I ended up finding the spring for the Bobbin Winder for the 66. The spring had sprung out of the drawer!
:) :) :)

Thanks for being so patient with me!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 AM

It's now up to $125. I'm sure it will be out of my price range in no time. I can't believe how fast the bidding goes up in the last few minutes.
Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I just came across this FW on eBay and was wondering if it is a myth or is this the real deal. What do you think Billy or anyone?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Urban-Legend-Sin...item1c125a75ed
Old 05-13-2010, 05:06 AM

Thank you anyway Glenn
Old 05-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Banned

It's now up to $125. I'm sure it will be out of my price range in no time. I can't believe how fast the bidding goes up in the last few minutes.
I just came across this FW on eBay and was wondering if it is a myth or is this the real deal. What do you think Billy or anyone?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Urban-Legend-Sin...item1c125a75ed
I dont think its going to go over $250 if that because it just looks like its a cobbled together piece of crap. I was looking at it closer and the faceplate has the clear (shellac) checking on it and Blackside as far as I know never had the shellac on it

This might be a good (or was) reproduction from the 70's or 80's after they saw the original.

I might be wrong here but I call BS on this one.

Billy
Old 05-13-2010, 06:11 AM

Here is my old girl...Fannie. She was bought at a yard sale over a year ago and kept in the shed until recently. Now she is on the front porch where she gets cleaned a little each day...Amazing how much crud can build up in 90 years. It was totally dry and the belt was broken. Now it will work, but I won't put the belt on until she is cleaned up better.......The cabinet has some veneer pulled up, some missing...but that is not my focus for now. I will be thrilled to get her running again!!!

Ditter
Attached Thumbnails attachment-67282.jpe   attachment-67283.jpe   attachment-67284.jpe  
Old 05-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Here is my old girl...Fannie. She was bought at a yard sale over a year ago and kept in the shed until recently. Now she is on the front porch where she gets cleaned a little each day...Amazing how much crud can build up in 90 years. It was totally dry and the belt was broken. Now it will work, but I won't put the belt on until she is cleaned up better.......The cabinet has some veneer pulled up, some missing...but that is not my focus for now. I will be thrilled to get her running again!!!

Ditter
Ditter your work is cut out for you but it should clean up nicely! Just make sure you use Go Jo non pumice and a boat load of cotton balls on the machine cleaning the exterior.

You machine is a model 127 and has the later Memphis Sphinx decals on it. Try to do what ever it takes to save it that is a nice machine to have!

Keep us posted with the updates

Billy
Old 05-13-2010, 06:50 AM

Jan- Wow, $40!
This is the 503-A. To my knowlesdge it is the step above the 500. I have all the attachments and then some including all the cams. I don't have the bench either. Would love to find one. My mom's finish isn't too bad so I will probably leave it. My mom, two DS', both grandmothers, and I all sewed on this machine. Many hours are on the machine.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:57 AM

:?: Billy... HELP. I think I might possibly could be permanently locked out of Needle Bar! Is there any possible way for you to help me. :roll: :roll:
Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wvdek
Jan- Wow, $40!
This is the 503-A. To my knowlesdge it is the step above the 500. I have all the attachments and then some including all the cams. I don't have the bench either. Would love to find one. My mom's finish isn't too bad so I will probably leave it. My mom, two DS', both grandmothers, and I all sewed on this machine. Many hours are on the machine.
The 500A has more features than the 503A but it was essentially the same machine externally. It does not make it less desirable at all and if I could get one I would. But the 500A was the powerhouse top of the line be all end all machine of its day.

But $40 you can not go wrong with that any day!!!!

Billy