Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-13-2010, 10:36 AM

This machine has been on CL for weeks because they are asking WAAAAYYYYY too much for it. But I think it is so PRETTY I keep checking it out. I think it is one of those Singer 15 clones from Japan but cannot find out much on Remington than that. I was thinking about offering $30 but I am sure that will make him mad. It is listed for $200.

Billy any info in your Japanese machine research?

Any ideas? Just tell me to move on. :roll:

Comes in cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67786[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-67781.bmp  
Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 AM
EC

This ad is on my local CL. Owner says serial number is 6432080 with no prefix letters. If I'm reading the serial number chart correctly that dates it about 1884. Does that seem right? Not sure what model it is. He says a 66-16.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/atq/1731832881.html
Old 05-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EC
This ad is on my local CL. Owner says serial number is 6432080 with no prefix letters. If I'm reading the serial number chart correctly that dates it about 1884. Does that seem right? Not sure what model it is. He says a 66-16.

He left the numbers off but it is somewhere in the 40's 50's. Nice machine though!

Billy
Old 05-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
This machine has been on CL for weeks because they are asking WAAAAYYYYY too much for it. But I think it is so PRETTY I keep checking it out. I think it is one of those Singer 15 clones from Japan but cannot find out much on Remington than that. I was thinking about offering $30 but I am sure that will make him mad. It is listed for $200.

Billy any info in your Japanese machine research?

Any ideas? Just tell me to move on. :roll:
I would wait till he dropped it down to $100 and offer him $50 to $65 tops. It is a very nice machine and a beautiful color. But there are a boat load of Japanese 15's out there for next to nothing but you have to look for them.

Billy
Old 05-13-2010, 02:59 PM

Thanks Billy, he responded he would not come down. Understood the machine was not worth that much but he thinks the cabinet is. Oh well. I saw one with just the head on ebay so I will just watch that.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:25 PM

You've got a convert here- I want to clean and service one of my machines. Now here's the question- I'm phobic about breaking one. So what one should I start on-

I have several Singers from the 80s with some fancy stitches with tension problems, a 1930s one that is desperately needing cleaning (I took it out of the cabinet to have my sister refinish it for me), a Brother from the 80s with tension problems and a humongous industrial machine that has a motor that looks like it weighs 30 lbs. and has a number 95-40 on it.

Thanks!
Barb

P.S. Do you realize the $$$ I can save by learning to do this myself? I'd hug and kiss you but you're too many miles away. (You're probably thinking- thank goodness!)
Old 05-13-2010, 03:56 PM
EC

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by EC

He left the numbers off but it is somewhere in the 40's 50's. Nice machine though

Billy

Thanks, Billy.
Elaine
Old 05-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Barbm
You've got a convert here- I want to clean and service one of my machines. Now here's the question- I'm phobic about breaking one. So what one should I start on-

I have several Singers from the 80s with some fancy stitches with tension problems, a 1930s one that is desperately needing cleaning (I took it out of the cabinet to have my sister refinish it for me), a Brother from the 80s with tension problems and a humongous industrial machine that has a motor that looks like it weighs 30 lbs. and has a number 95-40 on it.

Thanks!
Barb

P.S. Do you realize the $$$ I can save by learning to do this myself? I'd hug and kiss you but you're too many miles away. (You're probably thinking- thank goodness!)
I would start on the one from the 1930's if it was me. You can get the idea of how everything fits and works together and the chances of you breaking it are slim to none.

And I never turn down free hugs and kisses!!! :mrgreen:
Old 05-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

Okay Kids now that I finished or more like caught up on a quilt top that I have been working on it time for tutes!!

I will start on the 128 tonight and work on getting the photos of the tear down. I will more than likely be doing this in several installments and will be on different areas of the restoration.

I have to sweep up my scraps and clean my studio up before I get started. I am like the lady on the RFD channel's Quilting Show I toss my scraps everywhere!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I might start submitting the tutorial tonight or in the morning.

Billy
Old 05-13-2010, 04:21 PM

Billy, you know we are all holding our breath waiting for your tutorials. All of us have our machines lined up and holding their place in line for their turns... May you have a blast putting it together. Go Billy... ;) ;) ;)