Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chamby
Billy,
Sorry but it is me again.
So would you advise using the kerosene if everything is moving well and not gunked up? It looks as if I give it a good dusting and oiling that it would work fine. I just need to clean up the exterior really well. I also bought a leather shoe lace to use as the belt. I have got my DH husband in on project with me. I am so thankful that I found you on this site. I have wanted to get machine up an running for some time now. When I get it all fixed up I will post pics again. It will a while though.
Charlene
It sounds like you do not have to worry about the kerosene so I vote dust oil and clean the exterior and you should be okay.

Billy
Old 05-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Melody
Is Jan's cabinet typical of that particular Singer? I like the way it opens short on one side and bigger on the other.
No it is not, I have the same cabinet for my 500A and it is really neat how the little leaver or support pops out when you open it. I like mine but the finish is really bad off but I might try to strip it down and start over.

Billy

Here is mine....
Attached Thumbnails attachment-58991.jpe   attachment-58992.jpe  
Old 05-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
Jim,

My DD bought me a Singer Treadle machine today for $50. She knows how much I have been wanting one. :mrgreen:

Anyway, the throat plate is missing and so is the belt. Will I be able to find these missing parts?

And what about restoring the finish? I don't ever plan on selling or using it. I just want it for the memories I have of my Mom sewing on one just like it.

It is very dirty but I tried cleaning it some. It really need a more thorough cleaning when I have the time.

Here are a couple pics
Sherri, your machine is beautiful. I hope that you will try sewing on it some day. You might find you like it. If not, it is a beauty to look at. Linda
Old 05-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

I do have a question does anyone here have a 500A owners manual they could scan and Email it to me?

I can usually find the free ones but I can not for the life of me find one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Billy
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Jan, your machine looks very nice. I especially love your face plate. Don't worry about feeling mixed up... I think... in the end we will all be a lot smarter than before Billy opened his shop. Aren't WE thankful! ;-)

I have been collecting the machines and when we get back home my hubby and I will begin to clean these babies up so they sparkle and shine. ;-)
Old 05-10-2010, 06:17 PM

Here is my new old Davis treadle, #1997947. Looks complete, just very dirty. There is one drawer missing and one wheel broken off the support leg. Not sure if that can be fixed. But this will be my project for the tute with Billy. I am making a list of supplies to get at the store this week. Should be doing my home work.

Any idea of model or date?
These are the before pictures.

My project
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58390[/ATTACH]

Name plate and bobbin winder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58391[/ATTACH]

Back so dirty cannot see the decals
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58392[/ATTACH]

face plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58394[/ATTACH]

Not sure how to refinish this?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58395[/ATTACH]

Wheel broken off
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58398[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-58390.jpe   attachment-58391.jpe   attachment-58392.jpe   attachment-58394.jpe   attachment-58395.jpe  

attachment-58398.jpe   attachment-58820.jpe   attachment-58911.jpe  
Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Here is my new old Davis treadle, #1997947. Looks complete, just very dirty. There is one drawer missing and one wheel broken off the support leg. Not sure if that can be fixed. But this will be my project for the tute with Billy. I am making a list of supplies to get at the store this week. Should be doing my home work.

Any idea of model or date?
These are the before pictures.
Oh this is such a nice machine!!! And the decals are very complete on it also.

The shopping list should include the following:

Go JO "NON PUMICE"

Cotton balls (the whole big bag of them)

Q-Tips

Kerosene (1 Gallon should do you for a few machines)

3/4" cheap bristle paint brush (Lowes .89)

Old Tooth Brush (just grab the hubbys he wont care :mrgreen: )

Sewing machine oil

Scotts Liquid Gold Furniture Polish (in the pour bottle)

Mothers Mag Wheel Polish or SemiChrome (for the plated parts)

Patience :thumbup:

Get all of this and you will be able to clean and oil your machine (the basic service that they charge $65 and up for) and you will be ready for the tute that I am going to start working on tomorrow.

Billy
Old 05-10-2010, 06:38 PM

I have been reading these posts on nearly EVERY page and getting more excited all the time. My elderly aunt gave me an old Singer on Saturday. I've only seen it once and it was midnight so I can't remember serial number or details. I hadn't planned on owning one of these, but it's free and she got it from the original owner (her mother in law who has long since passed away). I can't wait to get it and post some pictures! It's black, gold, electric and in a cabinet.... that's all I can remember!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Jan, Billy's going to do a wiring tute soon, I'd wait until then and decide...but they can't be that hard to replace! I'm going to replace my foot pedal as soon as I can find another one that's more original to the machine (it's got a white "Made in Japan" pedal now) and I plan to re-do it myself.

Melody, they sold a lot of different cabinet types and styles for these machines. I'm on the lookout now for a treadle in a parlor cabinet...that's in my price range! ;) My sis in law has one, but she's not giving it up! :(
Charlee,
I saw this on CL and thought of you and Billy. Not sure if that is what you mean by a parlor cabinet. I am looking at another $40 machine so may be going up that way and would be glad to pick it up for you and get to a shipper.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/atq/1731877722.html
Old 05-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by Charlee
Jan, Billy's going to do a wiring tute soon, I'd wait until then and decide...but they can't be that hard to replace! I'm going to replace my foot pedal as soon as I can find another one that's more original to the machine (it's got a white "Made in Japan" pedal now) and I plan to re-do it myself.

Melody, they sold a lot of different cabinet types and styles for these machines. I'm on the lookout now for a treadle in a parlor cabinet...that's in my price range! ;) My sis in law has one, but she's not giving it up! :(
Charlee,
I saw this on CL and thought of you and Billy. Not sure if that is what you mean by a parlor cabinet. I am looking at another $40 machine so may be going up that way and would be glad to pick it up for you and get to a shipper.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/atq/1731877722.html
That is the Electrical version of one I believe. Charlee might can shed a little light on it. She has the knack of hitting the small details that I sometime miss!!!

I am seriously after a drawing room cabinet but they will break the bank when you find them. But I also want a Minnesota in a parlor cabinet!!

Billy