Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy or anyone that knows, can I use the bobbins for my Model 15 in the 66 Redeye?

Nancy

No--Class 15 bobbins are flat and class 66 bobbins are domed (not doomed, domed). You can find either class in any sewing shop and most fabric shops. I have been sorting bobbins and needles tonight, and I swear to goodness they're breeding.

Also, 66 feed dogs don't drop--at least not easily. Look for a darning plate cover for your 66. And pick up a $5 or $10 Japanese SS machine with dropping feed dogs. It will drop right in your singer base.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I never finish anything. There are benefits to being ADD. I have unfinished projects all over the place, and I don't care.
You are so funny! I don't know whether to believe you or not? Although, I have a very good friend who comes to Girls Night Out that has not finished any of her quilts. She doesn't even get them completely pieced!

I envy people like that -- I have to finish everything I start!

Nancy
Believe it. I come from a long line of people just like me. I have my grandmother's quilt blocks, too. My mother had to finish everything, however. She had a most disappointing stash of fabric. She happily took my hand-me-ups, and said many times, "You never finish anything!" Not quite true, but close enough. ;-P
Old 10-04-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy,
After reading over the post this past week on the history on the 9Ws, I have decided to do what you have suggested and I will be cleaning her up. Thanks for sharing your information on the history that you found. I enjoy reading the history also.

For your record that you are keeping on the 9Ws, my serial number is W22105. That dates it at beginning 1911 and records are lost according to the Singer site. I think mine may be the Singer 9W7
I would be willing to bet that your 9W is sometime between 1905 and 1910. Singer bought out Wheeler & Wilson in 1905, some history books say 1904, anyway Singer used those parts until they were gone. Singer then made the exact machine, but the parts were not left over (supposedly) from the original Wheeler & Wilson stuff, to the Wheeler and Wilson specs and used serial numbers without letters, which is wierd because after 1900 all Singer machines had a serial number that began with a letter.

I sent a letter to Singer asking them why they did this and got back the answer that Singer didn't keep track of any machine that was not their design or did not have Singer printed on the machine. I am sending them a second letter that the 9W does say 'Singer' across the machine so again why is there no records? I don't think they know why. I could see the records lost, but what I don't understand is why there is not even a mention of the Singer 9w anywhere on their site -- that machine was so different from all the Singer machines?

Nancy
Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

No--Class 15 bobbins are flat and class 66 bobbins are domed (not doomed, domed). You can find either class in any sewing shop and most fabric shops. I have been sorting bobbins and needles tonight, and I swear to goodness they're breeding.

Also, 66 feed dogs don't drop--at least not easily. Look for a darning plate cover for your 66. And pick up a $5 or $10 Japanese SS machine with dropping feed dogs. It will drop right in your singer base.
Miz Johnny I did not get any bobbin with my Redeye so I have nothing to compare a bobbin to, to see the shape of the bobbin I need. Is there any other machine that uses the same bobbin as the Redeye so I can see what I need to use?

Nancy
Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Nancy
You will need class 66 bobbins for your Red Eye. Rule for selecting bobbins: metal machine- metal bobbins, plastic machine- plastic bobbins.
Don't buy the metal bobbins from JoAnns because they aren't the correct shape. You can purchase some metal 66s from Sew-Classic.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy,
After reading over the post this past week on the history on the 9Ws, I have decided to do what you have suggested and I will be cleaning her up. Thanks for sharing your information on the history that you found. I enjoy reading the history also.

For your record that you are keeping on the 9Ws, my serial number is W22105. That dates it at beginning 1911 and records are lost according to the Singer site. I think mine may be the Singer 9W7
I would be willing to bet that your 9W is sometime between 1905 and 1910. Singer bought out Wheeler & Wilson in 1905, some history books say 1904, anyway Singer used those parts until they were gone. Singer then made the exact machine, but the parts were not left over (supposedly) from the original Wheeler & Wilson stuff, to the Wheeler and Wilson specs and used serial numbers without letters, which is wierd because after 1900 all Singer machines had a serial number that began with a letter.

I sent a letter to Singer asking them why they did this and got back the answer that Singer didn't keep track of any machine that was not their design or did not have Singer printed on the machine. I am sending them a second letter that the 9W does say 'Singer' across the machine so again why is there no records? I don't think they know why. I could see the records lost, but what I don't understand is why there is not even a mention of the Singer 9w anywhere on their site -- that machine was so different from all the Singer machines?

Nancy
Thanks for all of your investigating Nancy! I enjoy the history also. Beth
Old 10-05-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by janethagy
Hi to everyone... Just wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed this topic... and yes the Vintage Bug has bitten me..lol
I bought an old Singer Machine off of Craigslist for $20.00, It needs lots of cleaning and repair to the cabinet but I think it is really unique. I also need a belt for it if someone can help me with that??
I think its a model 15 from the info I have seen here on the board, would like more info on it if anyone can help. On the plate on the front it has AF700811 is this the model number?? I am going to try to upload some pictures of it.. so here goes and thanks for any info on this machine.
I have a 15 almost identical to yours. The only differences I see is that I have a small plate on mine that says '15', my wheel is all black, and mine was made in 1955. I wish I could find a cabinet for it. There were no accessories, so I'm in the hunt for the book, feet and needles.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:09 AM

Hi All,

I HAVE A SINGER MODEL 15 FROM 1955. I AM NEEDING A BOOK FOR IT AND FEET AND NEEDLES. I SURE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU IF YOU CAN HELP. IT DIDN'T COME WITH ANYTHING. What needle would it use. I'm new to this but am excited and think I've been bitten too.......... LOL. So much to learn.

Cheryl
Old 10-05-2010, 06:18 AM

Me again,

I NEED BOBBINS FOR MY SINGER 15 ALSO. THERE IS ONE IN THE MACHINE.

Cheryl
Old 10-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Love my stash
Originally Posted by janethagy
Hi to everyone... Just wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed this topic... and yes the Vintage Bug has bitten me..lol
I bought an old Singer Machine off of Craigslist for $20.00, It needs lots of cleaning and repair to the cabinet but I think it is really unique. I also need a belt for it if someone can help me with that??
I think its a model 15 from the info I have seen here on the board, would like more info on it if anyone can help. On the plate on the front it has AF700811 is this the model number?? I am going to try to upload some pictures of it.. so here goes and thanks for any info on this machine.
I have a 15 almost identical to yours. The only differences I see is that I have a small plate on mine that says '15', my wheel is all black, and mine was made in 1955. I wish I could find a cabinet for it. There were no accessories, so I'm in the hunt for the book, feet and needles.

Here is some helpful information for the two of you on your 15-90:
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx

# 15-90 - solid hand wheel, external motor, belt drive- everything else is identical to the 15-91
# 15-89 - Natural born hand crank, spoked handwheel, no motor, otherwise- just like the 15-90 and 15-91
# 15-88 - spoked hand wheel, most often treadle operated, but sometimes equipped with an orignial Singer mot