Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-19-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by skeetersmom
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
OMG!!!!!!!!! I am a newbie on this board.......just wanted to learn how to quilt.........but after seeing this thread, I am absolutely hooked on the old machines already. I am a great-grandma, and it's probably pretty late to begin a search for a sewing machine or two from the past, but I am compelled to give it a try.

Thanks for this thread, love reading and seeing the pictures of old machines that I so well remember.

I'm not sure where to begin my search for a featherweight and a treadle, but I'm going to begin the search. I've never bought anything off e-bay or craig's list which I've seen mentioned here. If anyone here has suggestions, I'm interested in hearing about them.
I'm fairly new to this list also, you'll love being involved with it. Everyone is so helpful and getting to see pics of all the machines really whets ones appetite for shopping for the next addition to our machine family.
You are never too old to begin collecting these old machines. I, too, am a great grandma (3x's). I truly love collecting and using these machines and my husband enjoys cleaning them up and is wonderful at it so it gives us something to do together. He's 71 and I'm 64 so I figure we have lots of years left to enjoy this fun endeavor. You'll love it also. Happy hunting.
Well, I just tried to reply to YOUR reply, and did it wrong. So, I'm trying it again. Thanks for your reply. I'm great-grandma 4X, so have you beat on that one. Also, I am 72. AAAARRRGH. I am so eager to get a couple of old singers, I HOPE to find a treadle from the 1930's, and a FW from the 50's. Hope it isn't just wishful thinking. I too would PREFER around the $100 range.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:27 AM

[
Well, I just tried to reply to YOUR reply, and did it wrong. So, I'm trying it again. Thanks for your reply. I'm great-grandma 4X, so have you beat on that one. Also, I am 72. AAAARRRGH. I am so eager to get a couple of old singers, I HOPE to find a treadle from the 1930's, and a FW from the 50's. Hope it isn't just wishful thinking. I too would PREFER around the $100 range.[/quote]

I know it's hard but be patient and you'll find good machines at good prices. They will probably require some cleaning but that's fun too. I lucked out and got a wonderful singer red eye in the cabinet (gorgeous) at a flea market. they had it marked down to half price and we offered less and they took it. I was really happy about that and it really didn't require much work. So go for it and have fun.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

OMG!!!!!!!!! I am a newbie on this board.......just wanted to learn how to quilt.........but after seeing this thread, I am absolutely hooked on the old machines already. I am a great-grandma, and it's probably pretty late to begin a search for a sewing machine or two from the past, but I am compelled to give it a try.

Thanks for this thread, love reading and seeing the pictures of old machines that I so well remember.

I'm not sure where to begin my search for a featherweight and a treadle, but I'm going to begin the search. I've never bought anything off e-bay or craig's list which I've seen mentioned here. If anyone here has suggestions, I'm interested in hearing about them.
I would try craigslist. Sewing machines are heavy and cost a lot to ship also by buying off Craiglist you can go and see it before paying for it. My husband is pretty swavy and figuring out if it is running OK and if not how to fix it and if it is worth it. Maybe you can find a partner to help you shop? You are definately not too late to get into this. Welcome!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jackkip
Wow, great looking machines. I really like the white one. Plus I have heard 64 was a very good year.....same year I was born

:wink:
I told my husband that too as it is also my birth year. ~smile~ I think she belongs with me.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Is the Singer 503 any as good as the Singer 500A or 500?

It comes with a box of a few cams and other stuff and looks OK not super. Ever since Billy mentioned he liked the 500A I have been keeping my eyes open and now there is one within reasonable driving distance.

Do I want the Singer 503 or do I want to hold on for a Singer 500 or 500A? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 AM

That is just so cool, I bought my FW at the Lancaster show last March. What made my decision was that the seller told me that month and year it was born, just happen to be the same month and year I was born. I just love it to pieces. Even though I paid over 5x the amount some people are paying on this board of them. But, what do I know????
Old 08-19-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jerudy
That is just so cool, I bought my FW at the Lancaster show last March. What made my decision was that the seller told me that month and year it was born, just happen to be the same month and year I was born. I just love it to pieces. Even though I paid over 5x the amount some people are paying on this board of them. But, what do I know????
From all the info I've seen they made them every year except the year I was born. Was hoping I could find on from March of 1963, but haven't had any luck. Did they skip this year?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 AM

Thank you, Jenna P. for your reply. I'm so eager to find those, and can't wait to clue DH in on this. He sleeps late and has no clue what's about to transpire. Hehe.
You are welcome. If your hubby is anything like mine he will just roll his eyes, :roll: and say whatever dear, LOL!!!

Make sure you let us know when you get something...we all like ohing and ahing over each others machines.

Jenna
Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
If you guys get a chance look at Sacramento Craigslist and number 1904021012.

What a beautiful machine!

Nancy
Yes, it is beautiful. Very tempting...Sacramento is only an hour or so away...hubby would kill me!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:02 PM

My first suggestion, for EVERYONE who's looking or might be looking for something, is to put their actual location in the information!! One of us may know where to get what you're looking for right in your area, but if your location is too obscure we won't be able to give a suggestion.