Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Charlee are you online? I think I'm on my way to look at a treadle machine in a parlor cabinet. It's on craigslist in SW FL Cape Coral. Price $190 I think they'll take less, it's been listed for a few weeks. Is a parlor cabinet one with two front doors to hide the treadle? Oh my, I do believe I am now offically a hoarder. This makes (if I buy her) 5 machine purchases for me in the past 3 weeks :) :) :)
Old 05-11-2010, 02:27 PM

I found and bought a Federal sewing machine, electric, that was made in Japan. Very heavy machine and it does run. It is blue, Style 414 with a serial # of B6331K. There were no accessories nor a manual plus a missing bobbin plate cover. No foot pedal, it's knee operated. Can anyone tell me anything about the machine or even a manual? Thanks in advance.
Chris
Old 05-11-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Thanks Billy, I am not sure I will sell her, but was curious of what it is considered. Read somewhere it may be a knock off of singer. It was made in Japan.
Most of your Japanese models were really well built and they badged a lot of machine for others. I have noticed that the engineering and quality control is way better than some of the American makes and the styling is so wonderfully "Americana". The machines come in two tones and the controls favor the automotive styling of that decade.

To me you really can not beat a Japanese machine from the 50's thru 70's

Billy
I am in agreement there Billy, that is why I am not sure I will sell it! Sentimental reasons as well! Call me an Old softy! :)
Old 05-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I found and bought a Federal sewing machine, electric, that was made in Japan. Very heavy machine and it does run. It is blue, Style 414 with a serial # of B6331K. There were no accessories nor a manual plus a missing bobbin plate cover. No foot pedal, it's knee operated. Can anyone tell me anything about the machine or even a manual? Thanks in advance.
Chris
Post some photos and I might could find something out for you. You know what they say about pictures........Worth a thousand words!!

Billy
Old 05-11-2010, 04:04 PM

I am so excited. I stopped by the sewing machine shop after work today. I wanted to find out if they had a belt for my treadle machine. THEY DID!! Oh joy. Now I can put this on instead of the leather shoe lace. My DH also stopped and got some 3 in one oil today for me. I have oil my machine and it runs like a top. I am using the hand soap suggested to clean the outside of the machine. Whew, this is going to take a while.
Hey Billy should I use a damp cloth to wipe off the surface after using this soap? I am also using the soap to clean the face plate. It has so much rust from over the years that the mothers was not taking all of this off. I will finish off with the mothers on the face plate after I get it clean. Oh, yeah I was also able to get the bobbins for this machine as well.
The grime on the outside of the machine is taking longer to get off than I thought it would.
Thanks Billy for all of your help.
Charlene
Old 05-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deara
Hello Billy & Charlee,
I just purchased this beauty and wanted to know if I can convert this baby to a treadle or a handcrank. Thanks for all your imput and knowledge. I appreciate you guys.

Blessings to you,
Sandi
Sandi your machine is a good one and unfortunately you can not change it to a treadle or a handcrank. Its a 201K and it is the closest thing you will get to a domestic heavy duty sew anything you put in front of it machine. That is not saying lets abuse it but you can sew canvas and medium grade leather on it with the right needles and it will chug right on through it!!

You have a wonderful score!!!! Plus the decals are really rockin'!!

Billy
Old 05-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Banned

Chamby use dry paper towels to wipe off the hand cleaner. I will tell you from experience that it will probably take a week or so before you get it clean. Just take your time and go over it a few times and you will be amazed!!

I can not wait to see the photos.

Billy
Old 05-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Hi All,

I guess I need the wiring information. I bought a Singer 66 # AF627988 Appx 1940. I knew there was no cord or foot control but I had no idea it would not be an easy matter to get one. It has 3 prongs and I thought I found one, however, when I emailed the lady about a cord she said I would have to send in the entire motor assembly to be rewired and that it was expensive!

I can not see putting major money into it. Is she correct? Any alternatives?

Blessings,

Sharon
Old 05-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by summerstorm
Hi All,

I guess I need the wiring information. I bought a Singer 66 # AF627988 Appx 1940. I knew there was no cord or foot control but I had no idea it would not be an easy matter to get one. It has 3 prongs and I thought I found one, however, when I emailed the lady about a cord she said I would have to send in the entire motor assembly to be rewired and that it was expensive!

I can not see putting major money into it. Is she correct? Any alternatives?

Blessings,

Sharon
Sharon, I might be able to find everything for you brand new for under $50 and looks just like what came on there. Some of these folks out here kill me, this is not rocket science its a sewing machine. :roll:

You have a 66-14 and it was allotted on August 28 of 1940! Let me look and see what I can come up with on the motor and foot control and I will post you the link!

Billy
Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Chris
Post some photos and I might could find something out for you. You know what they say about pictures........Worth a thousand words!!

Billy
Billy, Will post when I get home. Am on a business trip. Thanks again.
Chris