Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFmodels.html

Nancy, if you get it and don't like it I will buy it from you. You might have to store it for awhile before I can plan a trip up north or one of my friends coming this way.

I don't have one but it is on the wish list. I hear they are great. Like a machine with a built in walking foot.

Quilt Addict - I will let you know if these people ever call me back! I am afraid it is already sold!

Nancy
Ok you guys, I got the Vertical Feed Davis posted on Craigslist! It is the same machine pictured on this web site minus a few of the decals! Look down the page and it is the VF2 - exactly as pictured! I will post pictures as soon as I can! This machine was listed for $100 on craigslist - post already deleted - and I got it for $25! I didn't even have to haggle -- the women just wanted it out of the garage and said they'd take $25 if I took the machine out of the garage! This is the one Quilt Addict directed me to!

Nancy
Old 11-21-2010, 08:10 AM

[quote=BoJangles]

http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFmodels.html

Nancy, if you get it and don't like it I will buy it from you. You might have to store it for awhile before I can plan a trip up north or one of my friends coming this way.

I don't have one but it is on the wish list. I hear they are great. Like a machine with a built in walking foot.

Quilt Addict - I will let you know if these people ever call me back! I am afraid it is already sold!

Nancy
Did I get that wrong? I think Vintagemotif sent the link out and Quilt Addict said she wants the machine if I don't keep it? I'm confused!

Nancy
Old 11-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay I am going to post this so that you guys who love FW's can get a very rare machine. This is a Tan Featherweight and its going to go for dirt cheap. So here you guys go have fun getting it!!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=7055639

Billy
This is a white FW. You can see how different the bobbin winder is on the tan FW is, from the one on the white FW.
Also the Singer badge is much different on the 2 machines.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719dasUjR

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719anVMRT

Sharon W.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Well you guys I have the Davis Vertical Feed machine in my garage. Had to give away my 1901 Model 27 (posted on page 357) that I had spent 3 weeks cleaning. The 27 went to one of my friends and she is thrilled to own it so she got a good home!

Anyway, this is what I found written by Anne Kusilek on antiquequiltdating.com!

"For straight line (grid) quilting, applying bindings and working with flannels or other fabrics that want to shift under the presser foot, I have a ca. 1910 Davis Vertical Feed. Like the Two Spool, this machine is an oddity: it's a walking foot machine without feed dogs........Its not pretty but now that I have it, I wouldn't be without it. I've used walking foot attachments, but none of them ever came close to working as well as this old machine. Like most antique machines, it can handle almost anything you throw at it and it doesn't quibble when I'm sewing through 6 layers of fabric plus batting to attach a binding."

I won't have time to clean and oil this machine this week -- the holiday's -- but, I can't wait to get out there and get her cleaned up and try it!

Miz Johnny, Billy it says I need Boye 10 needles? Are these something old and special? A Schmetz won't work?

And thank you Vintagemotif (didn't you post the link in the first place) and Quilt Addict! Without you guys pushing me, I wouldn't have looked at this machine! I am so intriqued by the oddity of it!

Nancy
Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 AM

thanks for that correction on the fw...as i was about to say that is not tan. I just got an white fw myself a few weeks ago for $30 !!!! HEY Billy...i pm'd u.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:34 PM

Miz Johnny, Billy it says I need Boye 10 needles? Are these something old and special? A Schmetz won't work?

Nancy
I believe there's a modern needle that will work in place of the Davis longs. I'll check and find out.
BTW, Annie Kusilek does some of the most incredible quilting I've ever seen, and all on vintage and antique machines.

I believe it's these, but have an email in to a friend to find out for sure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Sewing-Machi...c26d0190#payId
Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

craigslist - "unusual bathroom sink" aka what some people won't do.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/for/2068235943.html
Old 11-21-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
craigslist - "unusual bathroom sink" aka what some people won't do.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/for/2068235943.html
That is unusual. I don't think it's my cup of tea, but I guess someone liked it enough to make it. By the way I love your avatar.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:32 PM

Well you guys I have the Davis Vertical Feed machine in my garage.

"For straight line (grid) quilting, applying bindings and working with flannels or other fabrics that want to shift under the presser foot, I have a ca. 1910 Davis Vertical Feed. Like the Two Spool, this machine is an oddity: it's a walking foot machine without feed dogs........Its not pretty but now that I have it, I wouldn't be without it. I've used walking foot attachments, but none of them ever came close to working as well as this old machine. Like most antique machines, it can handle almost anything you throw at it and it doesn't quibble when I'm sewing through 6 layers of fabric plus batting to attach a binding."

And thank you Vintagemotif (didn't you post the link in the first place) and Quilt Addict! Without you guys pushing me, I wouldn't have looked at this machine! I am so intriqued by the oddity of it!

Nancy
Congrats! Happy to find you another machine, and this time an interesting and rare machine for you to use. I had read that blog information about the Davis machines while trying to figure out if this machine that you just picked up was a Davis. That was a great deal that you got for this machine! Part of my fun is looking at all the interesting machines that are posted on CL at night while taking a break from quilting. Sometimes I find myself looking at machines that are posted on CL across the nation. My curiosity of the none Singers has me researching (how I found out about your new machine). I have learned so much about vintage machines this way. IF I had a wealth of money, time to travel, and space to store these machines, I would be taking a road trip across the nation. But for now this is my fun.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Your machine might have the solid keeper in it instead of the spring steel version. If you look at the bobbin area you will see a part that fits into a notch in the base near the bobbin plate spring. If it is the thick and heavy steel then remove the screw that is holding it and you can remove the piece and then you can remove the housing. If it is the spring steel version just push it to the side and then remove the housing.

Billy

Yes its the solid steel type. Thanks so much Billy, you are a wealth of knowledge!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: