Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-27-2010, 12:21 PM

Wow, great job grandsons. Your placemats are awesome!!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:29 PM

BoJangles,

I love your project with your grandboys! I think it is wonderful that they all tried the treadle too! My son doesn't like to sew, but I find him at one of my treadles reading from time to time. He will loosen the wheel and sit there reading and treadling. He has been talking about finding a way to power his computer by treadle. I guess he finds it soothing. Anyway... thanks for sharing that beautiful moment with us. Did you make the place-mats that the sewing machines are sitting on? They look very pretty too.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Your grandboys are handsome.
Do I see a set of twins? Isn't it wonderful that they enjoy sewing, hope they continue. They did a great job on the Moose. Merry Christmas to you and your beautiul family .(I have the same ceramic turkeys in my kitchen!)
Old 11-27-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
BoJangles,

I love your project with your grandboys! I think it is wonderful that they all tried the treadle too! My son doesn't like to sew, but I find him at one of my treadles reading from time to time. He will loosen the wheel and sit there reading and treadling. He has been talking about finding a way to power his computer by treadle. I guess he finds it soothing. Anyway... thanks for sharing that beautiful moment with us. Did you make the place-mats that the sewing machines are sitting on? They look very pretty too.
LOL! I love all the comments about the Grandsons sewing! Thank you all!

Vintagemotif thank you very much, yes those are my Thanksgiving placemats that I made -- turkey's and all! All our grandkids sew -- they do pretty good for the most part. I have found over the years that they are much better behaved if we keep them busy! Grampa can only play ping pong so long and he needs a break -- it was too muddy to ride -- so we made the placemats! Anyway, it is pretty cool that they will have those placemats with their hands and foot to show to their own kids one day! The hardest part for the kids was sewing on the buttons (eyes) by hand!

Nancy
Old 11-27-2010, 04:53 PM

I remember in jr high school, the boys sewing class always learn to treadle quicker than we girls did, 'what's up with that?' Let's ask Billy why that is?
Old 11-27-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by sheilajstewart
What a great idea and I look forward to watching this site. I have just bought an old singer treadle for $20.00 and it works great. I have a friend who is in some treadlers club and she put a new belt on and promptly quilted a baby quilt on it for her new grandson. I feel blessed!
Geeze, did she quilt the baby quilt using a grid, stitch in the ditch, or did she do free motion? What Model is your treadle?
That she promptly quilted a baby quilt is very impressive!
Nancy
Old 11-27-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher

Looks as if they were having fun and they did a great job. I had my 12 year old grandson this past summer and he used my treadle and took right off. I am still having trouble starting. Then he went to a hand crank and said that was "cool".
LOL! Isn't it funny how easy treadling is for kids? I thought my grandsons would make a mess and they just sat down and sewed on my treadle! I was all prepared for knots and all kinds of things -- was I wrong!

Nancy
Old 11-27-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Deara

How awesome to have your grandboys there sewing and having fun doing it. You are blessed and so are they.

Sandi
Oh and that is Grampa's arm! With 4 boys all yelling Gramma at once, Grampa has to help too -- so guess who else is learning how to sew lol!

Nancy
Old 11-27-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Bojangles/Nancy - Please consider putting that moose picture in the pictures section of the forum. It's adorable, and I'm sure there are a lot more people who would see it there.
Dunster, I love your Avator!

Nancy
Old 11-27-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Howard
Your grandboys are handsome.
Do I see a set of twins? Isn't it wonderful that they enjoy sewing, hope they continue. They did a great job on the Moose. Merry Christmas to you and your beautiul family .(I have the same ceramic turkeys in my kitchen!)
Howard Merry Christmas to you too! I love my ceramic turkeys! No twins, they are ages 8 to 13 all brothers.

Nancy