Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-05-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by joyceelaine1951
The bobbins that are with mine, or I think that is what they are are long and skinny. Looks like a spool of empty thread
Joyceelaine those are shuttle bobbins and I don't think Redeyes ever had the shuttle bobbin. What kind of treadle do you have?

Nancy
Old 10-05-2010, 06:02 PM

My husband just bought me from from a yard sale a Franklin treadle/electric sewing machine model number 117.52. It has been stored for years and needs a new electric cord that goes to the motor, belt and manual. I have come up with nothing for information thru sears.Do you have any idea where i can get parts for this? According to Sears there is no where to get them. but, there must be . Help , please. My husband feels so bad that it can't be fixed. But, I bet it can. Thank you for the help.
Have you checked information with White? White actually made the Franklin along with the Domestic and some others. What do you mean treadle/electric? Did it come on a treadle but someone had put a motor on the machine? That happened a lot.

I'd start watching E-Bay and googling information on the Franklin -- I'll bet you can find the parts if you just look.

Billy can you help her or point her to the place to find parts?

Nancy
Old 10-05-2010, 06:10 PM

My husband just bought me from from a yard sale a Franklin treadle/electric sewing machine model number 117.52. It has been stored for years and needs a new electric cord that goes to the motor, belt and manual. I have come up with nothing for information thru sears.Do you have any idea where i can get parts for this? According to Sears there is no where to get them. but, there must be . Help , please. My husband feels so bad that it can't be fixed. But, I bet it can. Thank you for the help.
http://www.ismacs.net/searchresults....rch%231145#864

Here is a link to your Franklin's history.

Well, I am not sure this will work, but if it doesn't google 'ismacs' and once you get in there do a search on Franklin Sewing Machines. It seems that Franklin was made by Domestic until White bought out Domestic in 1924. White then made the Franklin. Pretty interesting stuff, and lots of information on your machine.

Nancy
Old 10-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy or anyone that knows, can I use the bobbins for my Model 15 in the 66 Redeye?

Nancy
Nancy,
Not possible, the bobbins are very different.
Sharon W.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy
You will need class 66 bobbins for your Red Eye. Rule for selecting bobbins: metal machine- metal bobbins, plastic machine- plastic bobbins.
Don't buy the metal bobbins from JoAnns because they aren't the correct shape. You can purchase some metal 66s from Sew-Classic.
Or you can go to Walmart and they carry the Singer brand Metal bobbins for .97 for a 4 pack. I found these while I was bopping around going to the sporting goods dept for ammo.

Billy
Were they the 15 class or the 66 class?
IF these bobbins are anything like the ones that JoAnn sells for the class 66, then most likely most of them will not work. I bought a package from JoAnns for my Singer 66 and only one worked. I didn't try Walmart, instead I went to the local sewing machine shop. I haven't had any problems with the class 15 bobbins. Next time I'll try Walmart and see if those work. Thanks for the info.
They are the class 66 and they are Genuine Singer Brand and they work really well!

Billy
Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Banned

I can get you the parts for it and I more than likely already have what you need in my stock. PM me so I can get some more information from you so I can get you the exact parts you need.

Billy
Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by oldhag

Do these machines take a special needle -- as opposed to a Schmetz?

Do you have the needle in the right way? They are threaded left to right I think. Also if it is the same as the Nationals and Domestics your needle is to short. Try not to put it up all the way to see if it will catch.
Ok I am getting tired. I got the manual out, checked the threading, checked the bobbin, changed the needle, and yes the needle is set with the flat part to the right like the manual says. I threaded it correctly - left to right. I tried putting the needle at different lengths -- still won't pick up the bobbin. I think the White Rotary had a special needle? This is a 1931 machine and I know most of the manufacturers including White went bankrupt after the war - so I am thinking it had a special needle that is no long available?

Does anyone have a White Rotary that you actually sew on?

Nancy
Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Banned

Okay I need to come up with a list of bobbins and what they fit. I will do an article on that when I get a chance. But for now here are a few of the popular ones.

Class 66 bobbins will fit: 66, 99, 500, 503, basically any of the drop in bobbin Singers.

Class 15 will fit all of the class 15 type machines including the Japanese versions.

The 221 style of bobbin will fit the: 221, 222, 301 and some of the 9W's

Billy
Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 PM

Billy[/quote]
Were they the 15 class or the 66 class?
IF these bobbins are anything like the ones that JoAnn sells for the class 66, then most likely most of them will not work. I bought a package from JoAnns for my Singer 66 and only one worked. I didn't try Walmart, instead I went to the local sewing machine shop. I haven't had any problems with the class 15 bobbins. Next time I'll try Walmart and see if those work. Thanks for the info.[/quote]

They are the class 66 and they are Genuine Singer Brand and they work really well!

Billy[/quote]

Awesome! I need some more bobbins. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by oldhag

Do these machines take a special needle -- as opposed to a Schmetz?

Do you have the needle in the right way? They are threaded left to right I think. Also if it is the same as the Nationals and Domestics your needle is to short. Try not to put it up all the way to see if it will catch.
Ok I am getting tired. I got the manual out, checked the threading, checked the bobbin, changed the needle, and yes the needle is set with the flat part to the right like the manual says. I threaded it correctly - left to right. I tried putting the needle at different lengths -- still won't pick up the bobbin. I think the White Rotary had a special needle? This is a 1931 machine and I know most of the manufacturers including White went bankrupt after the war - so I am thinking it had a special needle that is no long available?

Does anyone have a White Rotary that you actually sew on?

Nancy
I have had several WR machines, and they take a regular 15 X 1 needle.
Clean hook area thoroughly. Make sure needle is in correctly--take needle out and put in a new one. Recheck your thread path--take thread out and start over. Make sure bobbin is turned the right direction and threaded the right way.

I have been sewing since childhood, and have managed to waste hours on such things as:
Needle in backward (happened a couple of years ago, and took 3 of us 2 hours to get right)
New needle that happened to be flawed
Lint in bobbin area
Poor quality new bobbin in old machine (happened this summer; it took several tries to get it right, and a very experienced OSMG and I several hours to figure it out)
Bobbin in backward
Thread popped out of guide (happened this past weekend--I did some serious ripping of seams before figuring this one out)

No matter how long we've been sewing or how long we've worked on machines, we still have to make a simple mistake once in a while. It keeps us humble. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.