Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-29-2010, 04:26 PM

Hi All,
Here's a quick question. Does anyone know if featherweights made in Great Britain are compatible with the electricity here in the US, or do they need to be converted. Silly question, but I don't know the answer. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Here is a picture of my 1887 Wheeler and Wilson. This machine came from Portugal in 1970. The guy I got it from was cleaning up his Mother's stuff after she passed away and just wanted someone to take this machine and love it. His mother got the machine from a dear friend who had died, then in 1970 they brought it over to this country. The son had stored it in his closet for years. He remembers a bunch of women sitting around and sewing when he was a little boy in Portugal.

I love this machine. I have this Wheeler and Wilson and I have a Singer 9W, which is also basically a Wheeler and Wilson machine. These are my favorite treadles.

Nancy
Yours is much prettier than mine!!! I seem to recall you discussing this machine w/someone else, the needles are no longer available right?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I like the carving on the front drawer. I would love to see this cabinet when you have restored it.
Thank you, I do too, by far the prettiest part of the whole thing :).
Old 10-29-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi All,
Here's a quick question. Does anyone know if featherweights made in Great Britain are compatible with the electricity here in the US, or do they need to be converted. Silly question, but I don't know the answer. Thanks.
JaneK,
If it has a 110 motor its fine for here, 220 motor needs a voltage converter or needs to be converted.
Sharon W.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Deara
Nancy, she is a beauty.
What is her name?
She's a 'he' and I call him Peter after the guy that kept him for so long for his mother!

The wood on this cabinet is in mint condition and the machine is also in great shape. I too had never seen a cabinet like this one.
This machine will stay with me till the end!

Nancy
Old 10-29-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga

Yours is much prettier than mine!!! I seem to recall you discussing this machine w/someone else, the needles are no longer available right?
I would of loved to see your cabinet in its prime. You can tell by the front that it was indeed very pretty.

I have been buying needles on e-bay for a few months now. I probably have enough to last a very long time now. Yes, the WW and the Singer 9W take a special needle that is no longer produced, but if you watch E-Bay you can still get them. They are a little pricey -- around 3 needles for $10, if you are lucky and don't get in a bidding war -- but, well worth it.

Yes, I told everyone about the WW a while back. This guy just lost his Mom, he was in a VA hospital and wanted the machine to go to someone who would appreciate it. When he called me to come look at the machine, I had decided I didn't need another treadle, but after hearing his story I had to go get it. He is going back to Portugal to settle his parents estate there and had to find a home for the treadle in a hurry. I am so glad I did go get the machine -- he almost cried when I took it -- and I promised him it would be taken care of always!

Besides when I saw the machine, I could not resist it -- it is beautiful!

Nancy
Old 10-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Sharon,
Thanks so much. Do you think my local sewing machine repairman can convert it, and is it an expensive thing to do?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
You can't leave you guys in the shop too long, not even a day. You guys come up with the most interesting things to show off. Bo, that is a pretty FW. I haven't see Mz Johnny for a couple days around here. Is she diggin around in her orphan stock and looking for something else to work off of? Purple, are you going to show pics of the Cenntenial FW? Now, all you guys hang tight in the shop and keep your eyes out for Mz Johnny. Have fun.
Miz Johnny has been trying to clean house, but is not having much luck. I am housekeeping impaired.
I made yet another trip to northern Kentucky to rummage through the basement of a guy who is sick of selling machine stuff off ebay, and came home with a few machines (5 nice Made-in-Japan class 15 machines), a few lights, and some new old stock bases. I met up with Robin (whom I met on this board) and her husband, and my friend Pam and her husband. A good time was had by all--and we all came home with "stuff".
It took me a couple of days to clean the stuff up enough to come in the house, but I was greatly entertained by a tag on one of the machines. The machines had come from a closed repair shop, and the repair tag stated the work done--including a new motor and wiring--and the cost, a little over $30. There was another tag dated a year later stapled over that that read "Do not release. Storage fee $14) The original tag was dated 1972. The case was in rough shape, but the machine was in beautiful condition. My van smelled like a musty basement for a few days, though.
More than you wanted to know, but my sewing machine diet is going about as well as my other diet. I seem to be gaining both ways.

Miz Johnny in far too phat Kentucky
Old 10-29-2010, 06:04 PM

Here is a picture of my 1887 Wheeler and Wilson.
I love this machine. I have this Wheeler and Wilson and I have a Singer 9W, which is also basically a Wheeler and Wilson machine. These are my favorite treadles.

Nancy
This is one of the prettiest 9's I've seen. I love the cabinet (I've not seen these drawers before) and the machine has more decals left than I've ever seen on a 9.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Sharon,
Thanks so much. Do you think my local sewing machine repairman can convert it, and is it an expensive thing to do?
I would make very sure that your local repairman knows what he is doing, before you let him at your machine. This could happen if he doesn't know.

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...tormayhem.html