Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-16-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by linhawk
I wonder why it said it was a model 69? When I saw the decals I thought Red Eye but after visiting Singer I thought they might have put the same decals on other models.

There IS a Singer 69, but it's an industrial machine: http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...sses-1-99.html

Did you double check your serial number?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Whenpigsfly,
The number on the machine is G8497830
When I went to the Singer site they did put a hyphen in there. Then I looked at G series. It said it was a model 69, 300 made, Nov. 23 1910 in Elizabeth, N.J.
Yes, I saw the commercial machine when I googled model 69.
Musta read it wrong.????
Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Here are my photos. I must admit, I did do parts of it after I took pictures with a little liquid gold, just to see it shine a little. I will start to take it apart (with lots of pictures to get it back together in the right order) next weekend. Thank you Billy for giving me something to do beside housework! I can hardly wait to start!!!!!!!!! I love learning "new" different things and this is right up my alley. I do have a few questions about the "flaking" that is going on with the cabinet, but that will come later.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-161585.jpe   attachment-161604.jpe   attachment-161605.jpe   attachment-161606.jpe   attachment-161611.jpe  

attachment-161614.jpe  
Old 01-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Can anyone tell if this is a model 201?
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/for/2163094197.html
I think the light should be in the front of the machine (facing you) Check with Miz Johnny and BoJangles.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:48 PM

QuiltingCowgirl I just have to comment about that $50 machine. The machine is nice, but the cabinet is quite lovely. It looks to be in good shape. It's a Singer cabinet that was made and marketed with a dual purpose. It was to be used for a writing desk when the machine was not in use. The upper left hand drawer has a round cutout where the inkwell could sit and not spill. The drawers on the left have thread holders and such. I hope you can get it!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
QuiltingCowgirl I just have to comment about that $50 machine. The machine is nice, but the cabinet is quite lovely. It looks to be in good shape. It's a Singer cabinet that was made and marketed with a dual purpose. It was to be used for a writing desk when the machine was not in use. The upper left hand drawer has a round cutout where the inkwell could sit and not spill. The drawers on the left have thread holders and such. I hope you can get it!
Unfortunately it was already sold, the seller hasn't bothered to take the listing off of Craigslist. :(
Old 01-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Whenpigsfly,
The number on the machine is G8497830
When I went to the Singer site they did put a hyphen in there. Then I looked at G series. It said it was a model 69, 300 made, Nov. 23 1910 in Elizabeth, N.J.
Yes, I saw the commercial machine when I googled model 69.
Musta read it wrong.????
From the Singer site,
"G- 8456851 8506850 66 50000 November 3 1920"

Yours is a model 66 with the number allocated in 1920. When you looked up the number before, you forgot the last 0. Look at it this way - your number is 8,497,830. What you found was 849,783. Don't feel bad - I've done the same, taken another look at the machine, thought oh no, that can't be, and then counted the digits.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Can anyone tell if this is a model 201?
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/for/2163094197.html
I think the light should be in the front of the machine (facing you) Check with Miz Johnny and BoJangles.
That's right. On the 201 with a potted motor, the light is built in on the front of the machine. You might also find a 201 with an exterior motor. I found one and it is now used as a treadle. I have this machine as electric, treadle, and hand crank (and use all three)--that's how good it is.
The 201 is an excellent machine and sews a beautiful stitch. I find them to be just a bit "finicky", and need tweeking to sew just right. The clearance is so slight in the bobbin area that the modern replacement bobbins usually won't work. An OSMG and I spent hours last summer trying to figure out what was wrong with mine only to discover I had put in a newer bobbin.
You should also know that if you take the bobbin case out, you will spend some serious time (either in prayer or cursing) getting it back in. It can be done, but the manual is no help!! Ask me how I know. . . .
Old 01-16-2011, 03:37 PM

I need a manual, the o ring for the bobbin winder, a new belt and needles. Anyone know where to purchase these?
Standard needles, and the bobbin winder tire and belt should be available at any Singer dealership.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by sewbelle52
Hi Billy,
My Mom has my grandmother's treadle machine. It doesn't work because of the shuttle. Am not sure what kind of machine it is but would love to get it going again. What kind of chances do you think I have? Will have to check with Mom on the model#. She has the original box of all the attachments and instruction booklet! My grandmother eventually got an electric machine because she either couldn't get the treadle to work or couldn't find the new part she needed.
Some shuttles are easy to find, some are impossible. Find out the make and model # and someone here should be able to help you.