Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EC
So DH and I took a ride to the Cape to follow up on a Featherweight posted on CL for $70. He came out of the garage carrying this
Oooh, lovely. I got one like that about 6 weeks ago, and I paid more for mine. I can't see anything wrong with yours - the only difference I can see, compared to mine is that your light switch has a black knob on it, and mine is a white toggle switch. Mine has the 250v motor on it which is right for here, but my box is different. Mine is lighter blue on the base, and a dark blue on the lid, and has two catches, not one like yours.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
OK, I finally clicked on this thread after how many months? The lap top I am using sits on top of a treadle sewing machine. I have unhooked the belt and I "treadle" while I type. I have changed the belt and have had my dad adjust it so many times that I am embarrassed to ask him again and it is still too loose. I cannot use it for sewing and it is so frustrating. I love this machine. Any suggestions?
Undo the hook on the belt and cut a little off and take a nail or something like that make another hole for the hook and put it back together.

You will have to do this a few time through the course of the belt stretching but it will eventually stop.

Billy
Old 07-11-2010, 08:36 AM

Billy, Here's the number I came up with on this Hilton. Model 566-44A, J-A-20, Ser# 3062. Here's a few pictures also. Got the book and attachments with this one and it uses cams so you can zig zag and make button holes. The machine is all metal even have the orginial price tag. It went at an auction yesterday for $5.00. Having a hard time making it sew the motor is really good but it won't pick up the bobbon thread and when it does it still doesn't sew it skips really bad. :cry: any suggestions? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails attachment-78616.jpe   attachment-78617.jpe   attachment-78618.jpe  
Old 07-11-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by jackkip
OMG...no this guy did not have this many. Is this a current listing? I would love to go and see this guy. Yes, we could all chip in and help Billy out :)

Currently on ebay , vintage sewing machines, buy it now only.

I forgot to add that he has 10 lots. OMG thats 500 machines in his Garage/warehouse!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Billy, Here's the number I came up with on this Hilton. Model 566-44A, J-A-20, Ser# 3062. Here's a few pictures also. Got the book and attachments with this one and it uses cams so you can zig zag and make button holes. The machine is all metal even have the orginial price tag. It went at an auction yesterday for $5.00. Having a hard time making it sew the motor is really good but it won't pick up the bobbon thread and when it does it still doesn't sew it skips really bad. :cry: any suggestions? Thanks
Is there a JC number cast into the bed? I need that one also!!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:56 AM

Beautiful, she is awesome!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:57 AM

SewExtreme: "Stefani, your machine is beautiful and I really love the color. Are you new to this cafe? If sew, Welcome!"
Yes, I'm new this cafe and to this board! I've been sewing and quilting for years, yet I'm still new at them, too, LOL! I love this color, too. I love the colors of the 40's, 50's, and 60's in general. Thank you for the welcome!

Welcome to the shop!! Sounds like you are getting into the vintage machines to me!!! And trust me the machines will start following you home before you know it.

I have no information on the White sewing machines other than the were being badged by Jaguar/Marzuen in the late 60's and the 70's. The same company that badged the Kenmore sewing machines. But you did get an incredible deal on the machine!!!

Billy
I have found some info on the White, it's actually a "966" not a 944. I suppose I'm going to have to give in a buy a manual for it, LOL! I really didn't want to spend that $5, cheapskate that I am. Seriously, though, I have always been able to find manuals for older machines for free online somewhere, but with the Whites, there is hardly any info at all on them. I really want the manual, as there are some odd switches on it, LOL!

It can lower the feed dogs, so I am really excited about that, none of my other machines can do that. I'm going to practice some free motion quilting today on it.

Now, onto my newest thrift store find! Get a load of this machine I got today.

I love this color, its just too cute! Its a Sears Kenmore model 159.110, serial 5279. The motor has a model number also, and at first I thought that was the model of the machine itself. Its 5185. I think it's a child's machine? Its pretty small, but then again, its made very well, it seems too "advanced"(LOL) for a childs. What do you guys think? It's pretty dirty, I'm getting ready to clean it up.

Again, does anyone know a free place online to find older manuals? I have no idea where to oil this one. I probably wont use it, I mainly got it just to sit in my room since its sooooo cute!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-78623.jpe  
Old 07-11-2010, 09:00 AM

Sorry for the bad pic, LOL!

The thrift store had a TON of old sewing machines. All machines are either $15-20! They have some that's not so old, either and some big names, like Berina,Pfaff, etc.

There was so many I was overwhelmed. I wanted to come and ask you guys for some recommendations on which models to look out for. Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 AM

The number on this old Singer is too short to be listed anywhere, or at least where I could find it. Has anyone seen it somewhere? I am really curious.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-78630.jpe  
Old 07-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Number cast into the bed of the machine underneath is 517-1. Is this the number you are refering too?
Thank you for checking this out. We don't know where to begin. :shock: