Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Found on CL. Billy do you know anything about Whitney Household machines. I figure from the fiddle base that it is an older on. I cannot find any information on a quick search on the internet. I thought it may be an import but did not find the name on the SewAlot site.

Here are some pictures. They are asking $65.

I have duty this weekend so not able to go look at it until Monday night.

Timer for lemon bars is beeping so gotta go. I bring some into the shop in the morning
MMMMM.....lemon bars!!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:40 PM

** Enabler Alert **

Just thought I’d share what I happened across on CL - a Singer – pheasant decal –treadle sewing machine in an art nouveau style cabinet with tons of attachments :)

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/1835253221.html

It looks to be in pretty good condition if someone might be interested.

Judy
Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by jackkip
Hey Guys, wanted to share my purchase. I found this in a junk shop. Only paid $18 for it. It is a treadle without the cabinet. I just wanted to get into redoing an old machine. Thought this was cheap enough for me to learn on. Don't know much about this brand. Any info would be great.

Jackie
This machine looks just like my Davis that has been my first cleaning project. I still cannot get the pressure foot bar and bobbin winder off. Great find.

I look forward to the pictures of this guys shop.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:00 AM

Good morning all. I brought in the lemon bars I baked last night. Hope you all enjoy. Off to work I go.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Good morning all. I brought in the lemon bars I baked last night. Hope you all enjoy. Off to work I go.
Hmmm unattended lemon bars and am I the only one here? LOL
Old 07-11-2010, 06:35 AM

After I posted the pictures last night, I started looking closer at it. Yes it is a Davis. I found the decal at the bottom. I can't wait to start on it.

I wish I had taken pictures of this place I found. I swear the guy had 30 treadle machines. It was crazy. Some very early models. To my novice eye, it was amazing. I have to say, I never had an interest in older machines until I signed up on this board. Now it is all I can think about. Where to find that perfect machine. Now I just need to find the space to store them all. Not sure if my DH is as excited as I am :-o
Attached Thumbnails attachment-78825.jpe  
Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Banned

After I posted the pictures last night, I started looking closer at it. Yes it is a Davis. I found the decal at the bottom. I can't wait to start on it.

I wish I had taken pictures of this place I found. I swear the guy had 30 treadle machines. It was crazy. Some very early models. To my novice eye, it was amazing. I have to say, I never had an interest in older machines until I signed up on this board. Now it is all I can think about. Where to find that perfect machine. Now I just need to find the space to store them all. Not sure if my DH is as excited as I am :-o
LOL you got me on that one!!! I was looking at Nationals when I was posting and I meant to say Davis. Davis did the badging for Sears and a lot of the manufacturers during that era.

I am thinking I have a National in my grasp for under $20!! And I was tearing up the PL on the NeedleBar trying to date it and verify that it was a National.

Hey that goes to show I am not an expert and I can drop the ball too!!

Billy
Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kitzone
** Enabler Alert **

Just thought I’d share what I happened across on CL - a Singer – pheasant decal –treadle sewing machine in an art nouveau style cabinet with tons of attachments :)

Judy
That is a nice machine in a rare decal pattern. I wish they had more photos of the treadle it looks to be a bit more fancier that a regular old treadle........But the price is really good!!

Billy
Old 07-11-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
** Enabler Alert **

Judy
The decals on this look to be in very good shape. They're hard to find in good shape; most have worn away. The cabinet is beautiful also--one of my favorite Singer styles.
The machine has a light added to it, and I can't tell for sure, but it almost looks like the foot pedal has been removed. Like I said, I can't tell for sure.
Still, if it's in any kind of shape at all, it would be worth it; the cast iron base could be switched out.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:18 AM

One of the clues on this machine is the belt groove on the handwheel. Most Davis treadles had the belt groove on the outside of the handwheel.