Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1327 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 327 827 1227 1277 1317 1326 1327 1328 1337 1377 1427 ... LastLast
Results 33,151 to 33,175 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Boiled linseed oil is what you what and lighter fluid for a cig lighter is a good sub for naptha. You ladies have been sniffing sewing machine oil today???? You guys are on a role here...
    ~giggle~ It's YOUR fault Glenn...all that naptha, shellac and linseed oil.....
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    don't blame me I was working.
    Riiiiiiiiight... uh huh! So am I!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

I just got home from Lowe's...... denatured alcohol, naptha, Linseed oil and spray shellac in hand. So I'm ready to try the clean-up on the old machine.

Glenn, can you tell me how to tell if the current finish is shellac or something else? and...... can you tell me details about adding shellac if the finish is gone. I just need to know before I do something awful. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Put alcohol on rag and touch to the finish in place where it will not be seen usually on the rear arm where the motor boss would be. If the finish gets tacky or soft then it is shellac. If nothing happens then it is a varnish of somekind and this tech will not work. You can spray on the clear shellac or you can use finger and rag. Did finger in a little shellac with a couple of drops of linseed oil and lightly rub on the finish in a circular motion then lift your finger and go over lightly in one direction.

Most machines 60 years + will normally be shellac. This shellac clear coat was applied to protect the decals and make the japan black shine a little. Hope this helpr you. Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Thanks so much. The machine I'm wanting to try this on is an 1899 Singer Model 27. At least that's what Charlee said she thought it would be. I still have a stuck stitch regulator but everything else is working well. And I'll keep working on her till she's feeling healthy again..... she's getting better every day. Since I learned on a treadle machine so many years ago she'll be a fun memory back. Thanks again, Jean (nanna-up-north)

Blog Entries
    Jean your clear coat on this machine is shellac. You are ready to start working and having fun. Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

I was playing/ sorting some sewing machine needles this afternoon.
    The differences are amazing. I shot a picture of a few of them.I
    thought some of you might like to see the picture.

Name:  needle comparisons.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  72.6 KB
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Mizkaki;5111400]I was playing/ sorting some sewing machine needles this afternoon.

Thank you for the needle info, I did not know the the 190R could sub as a Davis long. Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Glenn,

The Davis long is a flat shank needle while the MTx190 is round. This does not seem to make much difference in the smaller sizes. With the larger sizes the needle is pushed closer to the other side of the needle hole and could rub it. The round shank will push the scarf slightly further from the hook so there is a slight chance of skipping stitches. The people over at Yahoo's WeFixIt group and Treadleon have found this needle to be an OK substitute. Joe has tried this MTx190 in a size 12 and says it works well.

Cathy

[QUOTE=Glenn;5111419]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post

Thank you for the needle info, I did not know the the 190R could sub as a Davis long. Skip
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Glad to konw this Cathy, I have always used a 15X1 and cheated it down with very good results. I made a guide and marked them so I know how far to lower them in the clamp. Although I have a stash of Davis longs I am stingy with them lol Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries

Name:  needle comparisons.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  72.6 KB
    Thanks Cathy! It's very interesting to see the differences in the needles.

Blog Entries
    I passed one up a couple weeks ago because I didn't know enough about the needles.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Oh my! If laughter is good medicine, I'm good for a few years. You guys were too much today.

I'm hiding in the studio catching up on overdue responses to e-mails while dh is replacing the ceiling fan in the living room. He's not too happy with the electrican that wired our house back in '88. Somp'in bout a stripped screw Hun! That comment seems to fit in with all the other 'chatter' going on here.

Machine question - yeah, I know. BORING. Jk. I have seen a peg (for lack of better description) on some table models behind the bonnet. Anyone know what their purpose is?

A table, machine and bonnet might have followed us home today The table, drawers and bonnet are stunning. Don't know a lick 'bout the machine yet but there were several bobbins, a couple of attachments, a couple of Boye needle cases -with needles in them!- a very delapitated manual and various other goodies.

I swear - this is the last machine (until the next one). I would like to convert that latest Red Eye into a hand crank to use on the porch or trips.

Charlee, I'll be your 'no more machines' coach if you'll be mine? Wait! Do I see another steak????

You all are crazy to the max. A good crazy.

Glen, you're the best. Got your message. When's the next fishing trip? What type of fishing do you do? My dh is an avid fly fisherman and striper chaser. He's sucked on many a rock and ignored black flies like theres no tomorrow for the love of fishing.

best all,
    d
    My best is the least I can do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
    Oh my! If laughter is good medicine, I'm good for a few years. You guys were too much today.

I'm hiding in the studio catching up on overdue responses to e-mails while dh is replacing the ceiling fan in the living room. He's not too happy with the electrican that wired our house back in '88. Somp'in bout a stripped screw Hun! That comment seems to fit in with all the other 'chatter' going on here.

Machine question - yeah, I know. BORING. Jk. I have seen a peg (for lack of better description) on some table models behind the bonnet. Anyone know what their purpose is?

A table, machine and bonnet might have followed us home today The table, drawers and bonnet are stunning. Don't know a lick 'bout the machine yet but there were several bobbins, a couple of attachments, a couple of Boye needle cases -with needles in them!- a very delapitated manual and various other goodies.

I swear - this is the last machine (until the next one). I would like to convert that latest Red Eye into a hand crank to use on the porch or trips.

Charlee, I'll be your 'no more machines' coach if you'll be mine? Wait! Do I see another steak????

You all are crazy to the max. A good crazy.

Glen, you're the best. Got your message. When's the next fishing trip? What type of fishing do you do? My dh is an avid fly fisherman and striper chaser. He's sucked on many a rock and ignored black flies like theres no tomorrow for the love of fishing.

best all,
    d
    WE have had a good time today, but Glenn really did start it all by showing off his new drawers. The rest of us just followed his excellent lead. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    The peg on the back the machine is to hold the machine in place when you lean it backward to oil it or do whatever you might need to lean it back for. I have a New Home that has one, and I wondered the same thing, until I tilted the head backwards and it became obvious.

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Hey Deb, I am a bass fisherman, but also like to catch pan fish and catfish in the lakes around here. Althou I think I loose more gear and lures than I catch fish lol. But it is so much and very relaxing. We just got back Friday from a camping trip to Lake Wheeler. Now we want to see pics of the machine that followed you home. Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Is this the peg you mean (see attached pix)? It is to lean the machine head against when the head is tipped back for maintenance.

Name:  peg.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  131.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
    I have seen a peg (for lack of better description) on some table models behind the bonnet. Anyone know what their purpose is?
    Cathy

Yes, Mizkaki you're on it! Funny how now the purpose of that peg is clear. (I'm going to have an order for you....eventually.)

Cute share - After shopping for wedding shower supplies we stopped in our local haunt for an old oil can I was coveting to use for al things floral, twiggy and stemmy. Making my way to the back of the store I spied the bonnet. Apparently a new dealer had come in over the weekend and dropped this machine there. After doing the obligatory check this and that, I pulled the thread out of the needle (the shuttle and bobbin were loaded) I commenced treadling. DH comes over and says " I heard a machine and figured it had to be you." Now how good is that - the man can distinguish a treadle sound in a large shop. Gotta love him!

As stated, it was the detailing on the cabinet that caught my fancy. I haven't found out a lick about the machine yet. Failing research tonight. It is a Favorite. Gotta have some age to it, the base of the machine is somewhat fiddle-based. I'm pretty anxious to see what see does.

I will take a pic or two tomorrow AM. DH has the power turned off while he installs the ceiling fan.

In the meantime, if anyone knows anything about this brand of machine, or where I can look, I'd be appreciative.

best all,
    d
    My best is the least I can do.

Blog Entries
    Entertaining reading, y'all.

My LQS owner who espouses not liking older machines has a purple Kenmore. He says his wife won't let him sell it, but he showed to me rather proudly. I told him mine may be than color. I haven't seen it in so long that I've forgotten. It may be more tan like the second one shown here. I picked up three belts for the MW today. One looks like a possibility.

Did I miss something? Glenn, have you reached the part of the tutorial about the decals?

Hey Folks- Someone over on another list mentioned the Kenmore 29 as a nice small machine that may be of interest to quilters. But, Kenmores have much longer numbers than that, and so I can't figure out what a 29 would be. Anyone know? there seem to be a fair few Kennie lovers here.

Tommorow contractor number one( to be followed by two and three later in the week) comes over to have a look at the garage to quote on finishing it so that I can have a studio/shop. It's a tiny garage- what we call a Model T garage around here. Too small for a modern car to really park in. But, it would be much better than the 1/2 a TV room I have now. Laura

Blog Entries
    Is this the peg you mean (see attached pix)? It is to lean the machine head against when the head is tipped back for maintenance.

Name:  peg.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  131.6 KB
    Here is the picture of mine that holds my 1891 New Home.

Texas Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I want to tell you about my DH from over the weekend. You all know he is the vintage machine lover here. Well he has been trying to get his mother's Minnesota B machine for years. You see his mother past 22 years ago and his sister just wouldn't turn lose of the machine. Well over the weekend he asked again just to see it and it was a messss. In an old shed that the roof leaked. He got sick just looking at it because at one time it was his mother's pride and joy. The paint is completely gone from the machine and locked up. Sooo he asked again if he might have the machine and try and get her running. Sister finally said yes. So machine is in work shop and complety oiled and turning. Got the treadle peddle working too. His mother used to hear DH working the treadle and yell to leave her machine alone or she would box his ears. DH was sitting and just treadling away and says look at me now mom you can't box my ears. Oh how I wish I was behind him and he not know it I would have boxed his ears. Most of the parts are there and the bobbin seems to be the same as our Davis and we have an extra so going to try that. Need a manual if any one has a copy they could send us a copy of. Or know a site I can look tried yesterday but couldn't find any info. Also need the regular presser foot. It slides on from the front.
    Last edited by Crossstitcher; 04-03-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Jan,

Your peg is prettier than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    Here is the picture of mine that holds my 1891 New Home.

Texas Jan
    Cathy

Blog Entries

Smile

OK here we go who else has a peg and who's peg is pretter?
    Last edited by Crossstitcher; 04-03-2012 at 07:30 AM.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Mizkaki;5111475]Glenn,

The Davis long is a flat shank needle while the MTx190 is round. This does not seem to make much difference in the smaller sizes. With the larger sizes the needle is pushed closer to the other side of the needle hole and could rub it. The round shank will push the scarf slightly further from the hook so there is a slight chance of skipping stitches. The people over at Yahoo's WeFixIt group and Treadleon have found this needle to be an OK substitute. Joe has tried this MTx190 in a size 12 and says it works well.

Cathy

Jon has this size available for sale for anyone needing the Davis VF needle. I have been finding Boye #10 needles at various places, so haven't bought any of the 190R or MTx190 for mine, yet, but I suspect some day in the future I'll have to when I've exhausted my supply of Boye #10s and can't find more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
    Most of the parts are there and the bobbin seems to be the same as our Davis and we have an extra so going to try that. Need a manual if any one has a copy they could send us a copy of. Or know a site I can look tried yesterday but couldn't find any info. Also need the regular presser foot. It slides on from the front.

Trish, I believe Davis did make one of the Minnesota models (I think I remember that at least 2 sm companies made Minnesota models), so yes, that makes sense that the Davis bobbin would work.