Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Well.....at least there's already a seat in the bathroom-very efficient sewing!
We women are wonderful at multi tasking but this is bringing it to another level, lol
Old 02-01-2011, 07:02 AM

I have a question... I just purchased 4 singers recently and now I need to clean the wood and just wash the machines etc.... Some of them have a funky odor, probably from being in a basement. Anyone have a clue on what to use to wash them from head to toe with? Next will be working with each one to get it looking good but the bath is more important right now. I usually do a light bleach solution on things but kinda afraid to do that on these.. ????
Old 02-01-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
I have a question... I just purchased 4 singers recently and now I need to clean the wood and just wash the machines etc.... Some of them have a funky odor, probably from being in a basement. Anyone have a clue on what to use to wash them from head to toe with? Next will be working with each one to get it looking good but the bath is more important right now. I usually do a light bleach solution on things but kinda afraid to do that on these.. ????
I have a similar question on cleaning the wood cabinets, frames, boxes of the machines. What's best to use, what not. I think that some issues with the wood are more problematic than others.

A. Mold or mildew - needs something to kill it or it will keep on growing over time. Stuf stored in basements or attics for long times seem to get this. I agree... usually means using bleach. I'd be afraid to use bleach on varnished wood too. Don't know what I'd use in that situation. Any ideas, anyone?

B. Termites - Don't take it inside. Quickly remove the machine head and destroy the cabinet, remove it from your premises before the termites get into the wood of your house/furnishings.

C. Cigarertte/pipe smoke damage: Nicotine and tar are sticky substances that build up in the pores of wood. Usually need to clean with something that can penetrate the porous wood, and dissolve the tar. Regular cleaners just remove the grime and surface of it. Haven't found something that works yet... anyone know of something that would work - short of stripping it?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Well.....at least there's already a seat in the bathroom-very efficient sewing!
...that is until DH needs the seat, lol
huh... we have a 2.5 bath house. Unfortunately, all the baths are 60's sized: 5' x 7'!!! (But at least DH could goto another bathroom.... lol).

Oh... what fun this thread is!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Close but no cookie. That is a late model treadle like in the late 30's early 40's and the machine has no decals.

This is a photo of the one I really want.......

Billy
Hum... I'll keep my eyes open... and let you know first thing. BTW... if anyone on this list wants a machine that's in s. florida or wants a machine taken to south florida, I'd be happy to help relay transport it. I don't have a truck, but most things can be dismantled enough to fit in my Jetta trunk. I get 45mpg, so its cheaper than a truck to do a run.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by lewlew
Billy<<<who is still longing for the Russian Singer
Billy is this what you are looking for???

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/atq/2184206554.html
Close but no cookie. That is a late model treadle like in the late 30's early 40's and the machine has no decals.

This is a photo of the one I really want.......

Billy[/quote]

WOW.. what a fantastic look. Good luck, if I see it in my travels will let you know Billy!!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Banned

Yes I have a quest going on for the Russian Singer!!

I put a request for information leading to the find on the NeedleBar but it was deleted. :roll: I am about finished with them anyway, they are a great source for information and history but it is like a "Country Club/Elite Privileged Society" setting and you cant even join now without jumping through hoops. Since they found out about my business they pretty much black listed me taking all of my privileges away from me and deleting/editing most of my post. According to them I need to be sharing my information with them and not here with you guys. :roll:

I am getting emails from a few of the members showing me threads where they are "Billy Bashing". :lol: You know when they finish running off all the potential members and few existing members they have left I might just buy the thing so that people will be able to come see and enjoy what is there. Why you want to keep folks from seeing your "online museum" beats the heck out of me.

Honestly quilters are way more fun to hang out with and we do not mind helping each other out. Plus the way I look at it is that we are all family here and that is the way I like it!!!:thumbup:

Billy
Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Anyone else have a snow day or two???
Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Anyone else have a snow day or two???
LOL Yeah the weather guys are saying that we are not going to have any but it sure looks like they might be wrong!!! I bet your going to be getting it for a while, perfect timing for working on a vintage machine!!

Billy
Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Snow here. 4 inches so far and it is supposed to stop for the night. Tomorrow is the big day. They expect 2 feet here in southern Maine