Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi all,
Now to change topics...I need the help and expertise of the members of this group. I bought a Singer 201 from a CL seller , and didn't notice that the thread take up part is broken off ( the part you thread through before the tension that goes up and down as it sews.)I can't use it and it's making me crazy! Any way i need that part, the number on it on my machine is 45261. Does anyone know where I can get this part? I've checked a lot of part sites, as well as ebay. No luck. Or is there a different part that is interchangeable from a different model? One more thing, the serial number is AH371976 which makes it a 201. What is the difference between a 201, a 201-2 etc. Sorry so longwinded! Thanks for your help!
Jane
Jane, Singer did that with a lot of their machines I think. The 15 also has several versions.

The 201 -1 was a Treadle
201-2 Potted motor
201-3 External motor, belt driven
201-4 Hand Crank from the factory

Here is a site that explains this. http://www.articlesbase.com/accessor...de-447098.html

Nancy
Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 PM

There is a woman here who bought a pink Atlas, and it is not functioning. I am considering selling her mine, but I want to make sure I don't overcharge her. I think I paid $66 plus shipping, but I can't remember now. It's a very clean 1961, in a case, with attachments.

I certainly wouldn't charge her MORE than I paid, but I want opinions on what you all think is a fair price. I HAD to have it, but I find between my 15-91 and my beloved Juki, I don't use her. Besides, then maybe I can get a 301. My husband will be happy to see one going OUT.

Any opinions would be appreciated. I'll try to post photos tomorrow.

Mags
Old 01-13-2011, 09:40 PM

Thank you Billy, Nancy and Bojangles. I am going to give the gojo or goop a try. I have nothing to lose. BTW, when I said it was 'only' a 1955, I meant that I would hope that a newer unit like the 1955 would be in far better condition than it is. Anyway Billy I am thinking of a color....rhymes with jello.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Thank you Billy, Nancy and Bojangles. I am going to give the gojo or goop a try. I have nothing to lose. BTW, when I said it was 'only' a 1955, I meant that I would hope that a newer unit like the 1955 would be in far better condition than it is. Anyway Billy I am thinking of a color....rhymes with jello.
HaHa I can do that........

I just painted one a Pagan Gold in a heavy bass boat style of metal flake for a quilt shop I supply and it sold as soon as it hit the store. It is a deep candy color and was the prettiest machine I have painted.

Billy
Old 01-14-2011, 08:17 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I just painted one a Pagan Gold in a heavy bass boat style of metal flake for a quilt shop I supply and it sold as soon as it hit the store. It is a deep candy color and was the prettiest machine I have painted.
Billy, do you have an average ballpark cost for repainting? How about Steelers colors (base gold color) and then let me know what type of paint to use on top of it, and I could do the Steelers logo diamonds :)
Old 01-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Okay...Goop, Kroil, cotton balls....making my shopping list!!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 AM

I notice the Singer logo on your treadle. Are they orginally painted like that or did you paint it? It is very striking. Kathie S
Old 01-14-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
Okay...Goop, Kroil, cotton balls....making my shopping list!!
q-tips,old soft tee shirt squares,sewing machine oil,those help too.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I posted here a few days ago about the fw I found at the curb......

It's the finish that makes me sick, she had to be a smoker or used it next to a bonfire, all the brown muck that's on it..and the finish is almost--gooey. ....

What to do?
Today I was reading this article about cleaning old machines:

http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine..._machines.html

She uses something called Kroil and Blue Magic--TR3. I can't seem to find the non-pumice GoJo around here, although I haven't checked at Home Depot yet.
Try auto supply stores for GoJo.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
HaHa I can do that........

Billy
Billy do you have a picture?

nancy