Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Lovely treadle cabinet, with a model 66 in it, advertised in Connecticut Craigslist. I looked up the machine SN and it is a 66 produced in December 1912.
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/atq/2186475451.html
A PLANT TABLE?? That makes me want to go on a rescue mission.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
My friend gave me a portable handcrank that someone gave her 20 years ago in England. She has just had it in storage. I was telling her about my treadle and she said she had an old machine she thought I would like, so she gave it to me! It is a SERATA serial #640765. I have been searching and haven't found anything yet. It has a beautiful wooden case with inlays. Not sure where to find info to date it or get parts. {she went to show me the extras inside the sliding wooden drawer and found that the bottom was missing. she has no idea which move it may have been lost in} I will download my pictures later tonight and post them soon.
Here are some pictures I said I would post.
Is the white wheel and handle painted wood or is it porclein?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
My friend gave me a portable handcrank that someone gave her 20 years ago in England. She has just had it in storage. I was telling her about my treadle and she said she had an old machine she thought I would like, so she gave it to me! It is a SERATA serial #640765. I have been searching and haven't found anything yet. It has a beautiful wooden case with inlays. Not sure where to find info to date it or get parts. {she went to show me the extras inside the sliding wooden drawer and found that the bottom was missing. she has no idea which move it may have been lost in} I will download my pictures later tonight and post them soon.
Here are some pictures I said I would post.
Geeze! I am drooling! I never heard of this machine and now I want one! Did you guys notice the lion?

Nancy
I have had a hard time finding info on this machine. I found a manual..without a picture on front..so I am not sure if it is this one or not. It had Robert Nelson & Co. on the front. Manufacturer of Domestic Machines. London and Branches. I looked up the co. and found a journal from someone whose grandfather managed a Robert Nelson & Co store in Hastings. It showed a picture of the storefront. Sounds like I found alot of info, but not on the machine itself. I may get the manual just to see. The sample page they showed was a ruffler....same as the one for my Singer treadle. I need to find out what vibrating shuttle means. Both of mine have the same type of bobbin shuttle, so maybe it is the corect manual.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:30 AM

I have had a hard time finding info on this machine. I found a manual..without a picture on front..so I am not sure if it is this one or not. It had Robert Nelson & Co. on the front. Manufacturer of Domestic Machines. London and Branches. I looked up the co. and found a journal from someone whose grandfather managed a Robert Nelson & Co store in Hastings. It showed a picture of the storefront. Sounds like I found alot of info, but not on the machine itself. I may get the manual just to see. The sample page they showed was a ruffler....same as the one for my Singer treadle. I need to find out what vibrating shuttle means. Both of mine have the same type of bobbin shuttle, so maybe it is the corect manual.
Go to this site it will explain what the VS means.

I can't find any information either, but I sure like the machine. I'd buy it in a heatbeat if I found one like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbin_drivers

Nancy
Old 02-07-2011, 06:39 AM

After reading about the 2 spool sewing machines that you gals have I finally did an image search to see what they looked like. I have never seen this kind of sewing machine before. Hmmmm......Interesting! Anyway, I came across this site and found a set-up to have 5 treadle treadle machines over 5 treadle bases under one custom made table! What a great space saver!! Check it out (scroll down the page a little bit):
http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/no...ewmachine.html
Yes, we have read Anne's site before. Really good reading about her machines! Thank you for reminding us of her site.

Billy has the same type set up for his treadles. He posted pictures somewhere on this forum with his custom table and treadles. I wish I had room to do the custom table, but I'd have to add on or get rid on my long arm HQ16, which takes up an entire wall in my sewing room!

Nancy
Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 AM

[/quote]
Is the white wheel and handle painted wood or is it porclein?[/quote]

Porcelain
Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Go to this site it will explain what the VS means.

I can't find any information either, but I sure like the machine. I'd buy it in a heatbeat if I found one like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbin_drivers

Nancy
Thank you, I found out that is what mine are. Maybe my brother or his wife can find something else out for me...maybe find some attatchments for me. They are living in England now. Didn't think about that until now.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 AM

I posted this in the Main forum & only have a few replies, so thought I would present the question to the Vintage machine veterans:

Singer 15-91 vs Singer 301?
If you had the opportunity to choose between these 2 machines, which would you most likely choose for the purpose of FMQ? I have been looking for a vintage machine to use specifically for FMQ. I already have a 403 and a Featherweight for piecing, so I really am zeroing in on the best machine for FMQ. Now I find out that I may have the chance to choose between the two. A friend has a 15-91 that she wants me to take & use indefinitely. I also got a lead on a 301 in good shape & good price. What do you think? Pros/cons of each for FMQ?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 AM

A friend asked me to take a look at her Grandma's old 99k singer. It had no cabinet or case and my husband made a box for it.

My question is this - I am usually really good with machines but I CAN NOT get this thing to sew!! It stitches lovely on top but the underside is a dissaster - I tried the tension, top and bottom and a new needle (130/705 system - is that OK?) - still bad. I also tried the needle foot pressure as it was screwed way up higher than I have seen before - it did seem to improve a little - but just when I thought the stitching was improving (still bad) the thread would jump out of the tension mechanism.....

I have a feeling the top tension is not working, the machine is in good clean condition and sounds ok when it is running......

Any ideas guys?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Lovely treadle cabinet, with a model 66 in it, advertised in Connecticut Craigslist. I looked up the machine SN and it is a 66 produced in December 1912.
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/atq/2186475451.html
A PLANT TABLE?? That makes me want to go on a rescue mission.
EEEEKK!!!!!!!!!