Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Anna, you have beautiful machines. Good luck with the 301, it is good to get that electrical fixed prior to sewing. Don't want you or the machine to get hurt!

I hope to be able and visit that Red Eye some day. It is really pretty. Usually they don't appeal to me.

Glad you have a supporting DH.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

Lisa you are welcome to stop by on your shopping sprees down here. It is good we don't all want the same machines. ~smile~ No belt for it yet though so might want to wait till it is up and running. One machine I will probably not get but like an awful lot is a white treadle in one of those gorgeous cabinets. anyone else partial to those?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Annaquilts, I love the cabinet your red eye is in. We looked at a cabinet like yours today but it had a Singer 27 with the pheasant decal. We are hopeing the lady will part with it. Lady told DH she would leave it to him in her will. But gave him a white Martha Washington that belonged to her grandmother and mother before her and she is in her eighties. DH is parshal to the red eyes so it won't be long until he finds one. :?
Wow sounds like you had a wonderful day too. I have never seen the pheasant one besides online. It must be rare. What is a Martha Washington? Could you post a picture? It sounds very old. Happy hunting for the red eye. Just one day I clicked on CL and there she was just listed. I did pay more but DH felt since it was pretty much how I wanted it, both machine and cabinet, I should get it. No regrets.
I don't have a picture of the Martha Washington right now. But, suppose to bring her home next week. Then I will put some on here. It's made by White. There was one on e bay a week or so ago but I didn't make a copy of it. Still like your Red Eye and cabinet tho.

:thumbup:
Old 07-27-2010, 04:24 PM

More pictures but of Singer 15-91
Annaquilts,

Oh my!

That Red Eye still has so much green and gold!

The only treadle I bought was a Red Eye 66 in that very same cabinet. I bought it for the cabinet to replace the cabinet on my Granny's 127 Sphinx. I thought my Red Eye 66 was passible, yours is incredible.

Congratulations!

I am starting to feel guilty now. I am using Billy's technique to clean the Red Eye 66. I think it might sew better than Granny's 127. It for sure is in much better condition. I am thinking I will put the Red Eye 66 back in its cabinet after I make a quilt on Granny's 127. I will do that, but may take it out of the cabinet and put it in environmentally safe storage until I get another good cabinet put together for it.

Aardie.

PS: The past three weeks have been much better for my hands, inspite of the heat. I actually sewed two quilt blocks this evening, the first sewing in three months Woo Hoo!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:41 PM

I'm hooked I just have to get a tredle machine,

I am telling you collecting vintage sewing machines are like a crack addiction. You will be figuring out what pieces of furniture you really do not need to make more room, you will stop by every garage sale and thrift store there is, and the nice thing about it is you wont be tossed in the slammer for collecting machines.

Billy

not a problem in this house! I have 4 rooms with nothing in them
way too much house for just dh & me, house is for sale as I want to move much closer to Paducah, if not right in Paducah. we really do not need 3500 sq.ft. and dh does not need a whole acer to mow and care for at his age, & in his poor health. but I sure could get a couple of new (old) machines, LOL
Old 07-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

[quote=aardvarq]
More pictures but of Singer 15-91
Annaquilts,

Oh my!

That Red Eye still has so much green and gold!

Aardie.

I am glad to hear you have finaly been able to quilt some. Nothing like quilting to make you feel complete and hquilty. LOL

It actually seemed like the red eye I have was never used. Thisa would explain the exellent condition of the decals. Inside the gears etc. are nice and tight like a brand new machine. Pitifully it did a little rust from being left out but it cleaned up well.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Hope I'm posting pictures correctly...this is Pearl...she's in beautiful condition and I just love her
Attached Thumbnails attachment-69684.jpe   attachment-69867.jpe  
Old 07-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Kas

Well my Singer 301 in cabinet is home. She doesn't work and will need some work on both the cabinet and machine/electrical etc. but I am in awe for now. The cabinet is an adorable little desk. This is like a bigger/full size Feather Weight, I have been told. It can easily snap loose and come out of the desk to take along. It even has a cute little handle that I popped up for the picture. I have no case for it though.

I started looking for a 301 when I heard they made great quilting machines because of the direct gear drive, slanted needle and all metal parts. I hope we can fix it and get it running.

We found this machine on CL and the person was willing to take a lower offer. It was out of the area but a business friend from DH took it down for us on his truck when he came to this area.

I can't wait to play with it when it is running!
Oh my gosh! This is the same desk I have except it has a darker finish with the accent wood being black! And my 301 is also the black one. Take the bottom pan off and oil all the spots the manual says to oil. You can find it free online. I love mine!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 PM

Well, I am loving all the pictures!

I got my teadle in the house today so I can really get serious about practicing sewing -- still not too good at treadling, but getting better!

A friend of mine has a Singer red eye Serial Number G 5726669 -- does anyone know the age of this machine. It is a beautiful treadle in the same cabinet as my 1913 treadle.

Also I bought a 99K in a cabinet -- it says made in Great Britain and the number is EL260583 -- when was it made? It is so cute, bigger than a featherweight by smaller than a regular machine!

Nancy
Old 07-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well, I am loving all the pictures!

I got my teadle in the house today so I can really get serious about practicing sewing -- still not too good at treadling, but getting better!

A friend of mine has a Singer red eye Serial Number G 5726669 -- does anyone know the age of this machine. It is a beautiful treadle in the same cabinet as my 1913 treadle.

Also I bought a 99K in a cabinet -- it says made in Great Britain and the number is EL260583 -- when was it made? It is so cute, bigger than a featherweight by smaller than a regular machine!

Nancy
The Red Eye was allotted on September 5 1917, and the 99K was allotted on March 13 1956.