Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-30-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
It looks like the sphinx decal. Part of that Egyptian thing Billy has mentioned.

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I have been looking at a model 27 Singer treadle. These pictures aren't clear but can anyone tell what the decal is? :-D
Yes, it's the Sphinx decal. I just got one a couple weeks ago, they are gorgeous.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 AM

I'm gonna go look at a 1878 Wheeler Wilson machine tomorrow. The man says it sews great and is in good shape even has the book with it. He's asking $300 for it. What's anybody think about that?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I'm gonna go look at a 1878 Wheeler Wilson machine tomorrow. The man says it sews great and is in good shape even has the book with it. He's asking $300 for it. What's anybody think about that?
Personally, I think it depends on how it looks and if you think it is worth the $$$. So far, I have only paid over $125 for a FW. It cost $250. I guess if I found a machine such as you are talking about and the cabinet was unusual and in tip top shape and the decals were in perfect condition and it had the attachments and the manual I probably could be tempted enough to spend $300.

Are you considering asking him if he is interested at a lower price? If you are willing to part with $300 but he will take $225.... if not, you can always pay him his asking price. A lot of times the price is only a point so the seller can come down a bit. :-D :-D
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Remember what Charlee said about the Needles for the Wheeler and Wilson. they are almost impossible to find and THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. there is a slightly cheaper substitute but they do not always work.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM

I am on my way right now to look at two Singer Treadles. The lady says one says on it 1892.

Nancy[/quote]

Ok, I bought both the Singer Treadles.

Billy one has the number 3,171,412 -- I know this machine is pre-1900's -- can you tell me what year it is and what you call this machine so I can try and find a manual?

The second machine is AF 213702 -- What is this machine and what year was it born! Both of these machines are in great shape. They both have all the attachments and the cabinets are great. A grandmother donated them to the church for a fund raiser.

Nancy
Old 07-30-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by mickey
Remember what Charlee said about the Needles for the Wheeler and Wilson. they are almost impossible to find and THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. there is a slightly cheaper substitute but they do not always work.
Dang, I didn't remember about the needles, thanks.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I am on my way right now to look at two Singer Treadles. The lady says one says on it 1892.

Nancy
Ok, I bought both the Singer Treadles.

Billy one has the number 3,171,412 -- I know this machine is pre-1900's -- can you tell me what year it is and what you call this machine so I can try and find a manual?

The second machine is AF 213702 -- What is this machine and what year was it born! Both of these machines are in great shape. They both have all the attachments and the cabinets are great. A grandmother donated them to the church for a fund raiser.

Nancy[/quote]

The first one was made in 1879 and the second one is a Model 15 with 25,000 of them allotted on April 12 1939!

Billy
Old 07-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I am going to be giving my 500A away, I have an aversion to anything with an electrical cord. After getting my 500A I just look at it thinking it is taking up valuable space that can be used for a treadle.

Billy
Raises her hand. I would be interested if you are serious. I have 8 daughters and some of my 6 sons quilt. It would be put to work around here.[/quote]

Its going to be heading to Colorado, as soon as its boxed up and ready to go.

Billy
Old 07-30-2010, 01:46 PM

Wow, Billy 1879! There is a throat plate on the machine that says Patented USA Aug 2nd 92 -- I knew that was 1892, but if this is a 1879 Singer, the throat plate was replaced?

This machine has a smaller head and the thread tension is on the off side of the machine -- unlike I have ever seen!

I love the machine and something is going on that I can't explain because my birthday is August 2nd -- is that kinda eerie!

Nancy
Old 07-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

Nancy the plate can be changed out but the serials do not lie!!

Is there a way for you to post the pics of it for us?

Billy