Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 PM

I am amazed at what some of these people want for thier machines :shock:
Old 07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

A nice red eye in a more desirable cabinet will be about $150 to $350 and up in our area. The $800 seems excessive but they are expensive at our Goodwills too. I paid $220 (asking price was $250) and mine was not pristine or have any parts extra. The guy used to be an antique dealer and knew I wanted it.DH figured it was enough running around and this way one stop shopping both the cabinet and the machine I wanted. I guess you pay as much as you are willing to pay. I really do not see that much for $50 to $150 that is worth it unless you are open to none Singer and or more flexible. Some very nice White and other brands. DH wants Singers as parts are easier to find and interchange between machines. We have done this already and switched things around. Since he is the one working on them that is what we do.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Wow! So even if the machine is pristine along with the cabinet -- the cabinet is the more important factor?

Boy, am I learning! I do want a Red Eye one of these days, but not for $800!

Thank you for the information -- this gives me a lot to think about!

Nancy
Nancy a less pristine cabinet is not that big a deal for us as DH is a wood worker. Hard for us to fix the machine's outside. I have read that you buy/pay for the cabinet and that there are many nice machine heads you can find. There are many people who will get it for the cabinet to use as decor so I guess those are the people you are competing with.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Wow! Then I am really doin' a happy dance over the one I got yesterday for $50.00! A 500A with cabinet in great condition.[/quote]

pgtom Congrats! Sound slike you hit the Jack Pot. If you'd like pleas epsot a picture.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

To me the 500A is the ultimate Singer to own. It was made in 1962 and it was well ahead of its time and will hang with any of these machines they have now. I have one and its amazing the built in stitches it has and how you can vary them with just a click of a knob. Then if you really want to go for broke you can get the cams for it and have 10 or so different looks per cam.

Billy[/quote]

Thanks Billy! I will be pretty busy getting to know the machines that moved in recently but it is good to know what is a desirable machine incase I have the opportunity to get one for a really good deal.

Anna
Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 PM

Has any one ever seen a machine like this one? It is listed on e bay. Price $1450.00.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-68833.jpe   attachment-68834.jpe  
Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Has any one ever seen a machine like this one? It is listed on e bay. Price $1450.00.
That is only the 3rd one I have seen and the last couple went for over $10K. I forget the manufacturer but I will see if I can find it.

Billy
Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Originally Posted by Lostn51
If anyone wants a Slant Shank and the best one made here is a deal and a half right here!!

http://nashville.craigslist.org/art/1870240678.html

Billy
Billy do you feel this slant shank is better then a 301? Maybe I need one of these too. LOL A little far for me. Hubbys is already complaining about me always wanting the far away ones.
Billy where can I find the tension disc assembly for my 500A rocketeer? I'm having no luck on ebay.

To me the 500A is the ultimate Singer to own. It was made in 1962 and it was well ahead of its time and will hang with any of these machines they have now. I have one and its amazing the built in stitches it has and how you can vary them with just a click of a knob. Then if you really want to go for broke you can get the cams for it and have 10 or so different looks per cam.

Billy
Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 PM

Billy[/quote][/quote]
Hi Billy, guess what I got today?
It came with 8 feet and 4 cams! and the book, and it works !! sounds OK to me, but it is not THE machine I really want, INtrested?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 PM

Yes, a nice cabinet is a plus, but I am in love with the machines. For me the cabinet just comes along for the ride. My 127 Singer is in pretty good shape, but the cabinet is pretty warped with the veneer coming off the top. My DH is going to try and repair/replace the veneer.

When the machine is open and up, you don't see the top anyway! The cabinet that does show is very pretty, but my machine is what I love to see -- I just think they are so awesome!

Nancy