Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-30-2010, 07:07 PM

Thanks all, this is not in my area, but a friend of mine is coming for his annual deep sea fishing trip. So he will pick it up and bring it down south. I know I was supposed to stay off Craig's list but when I see these I just can't help myself.

It does have the shuttle and bobbin in it so, it will be joining my lineup in the garage. Literally, the cabinets are all lined up in the garage. :P
Old 06-30-2010, 07:48 PM

Although many of you may know this but I thought I'd share some interesting information about the history of the sewing machine.

"Inventors in France and elsewhere in Europe were trying to invent a sewing machine in the late 1700s. Many made awkward-looking machines that could sew a few stitches. Most machines looked nothing like our modern sewing machines. The trouble was that everyone thought a machine had to make the motions that a human hand makes when sewing. They also had difficulty realizing that two threads were necessary.

In 1834, an American named Walter Hunt finally realized that two threads were needed. His machine successfully produced a lockstitch, but it could only make short lines of stitching. Hunt’s daughter persuaded him not to work at improving the machine, because she was afraid sewing machines would put thousands of women, who made their living sewing by hand, out of work.

In 1845, American farmer Elias Howe patented the first sewing machine to resemble our modern sewing machines. Howe had little success selling his invention in America and eventually sold the rights to the device to a London corset maker William Thomas who wanted Howe to come to England and refine the machine. The partnership did not succeed and by the time Howe returned to the States, he found several manufacturers, including Isaac Singer were making sewing machines, all somewhat based on his patented design. A number of lawsuits ensued. Singer and the other manufacturers won the right to keep on making the machines, but Howe made a fortune from lawsuits. Eventually, Howe, Singer, and some other manufacturers banned together in a Sewing Cartel. Singer’s machines became the most popular, especially after his company produced the treadle-operated machine which allowed sewers free hands to guide the material under the needle, while they worked the machine with their feet."

Copied from Elizabeth's blog:
http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/blo...ewing-machine/

When I see some of the beautiful things that were made in the late 1800's and early 1900's, it amazes me. Then when I use Grazilla (my treadle machine) I have a greater appreciation how our parents and their parents learned to sew.

Judy

1830 Couseuse
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84567[/ATTACH]

Thimonnier dating back to the 1830s built by Barthelemy Thimonnier
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84568[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84562.jpe   attachment-84563.jpe  
Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Thanks all, this is not in my area, but a friend of mine is coming for his annual deep sea fishing trip. So he will pick it up and bring it down south. I know I was supposed to stay off Craig's list but when I see these I just can't help myself.

It does have the shuttle and bobbin in it so, it will be joining my lineup in the garage. Literally, the cabinets are all lined up in the garage. :P
She is gorgeous and I am sure she will bring alot of class to your collection of cabinets....

Lisa, could you PLEASE share some pictures of your garage collection? I think it would be a great photo opportunity to line them all up and get a "chorus line" picture.

I think I'll go make a grooling towel before you have a chance to post your pictures.

Judy
Old 06-30-2010, 08:42 PM

Judy,

I have posted most of the ones I have gotten on this thread. Most are in pretty sad shape and are lined up to get worked on. But I will try to take a picture for you this weekend.
Lisa
Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by amann7106
I've caught the bug and want to get my first treadle...can someone tell me if $40 is an ok price for this machine? I know it has a lot of silvering, missing bobbin plate & needs a belt. The cabinet appears to be in good condition. The serial # is G0709463.
That machine is common as the cold and you can find them in a lot better condition for that price. I would offer $20 and see what happens and settle around $30 at most.

All of my 27's like that in basically the same condition with cabinets I pay around $15 for. The belt and missing plate can easily be found on ebay for roughly $20 shipping included.

That would be a perfect candidate for a repaint.

Billy
Old 06-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Although many of you may know this but I thought I'd share some interesting information about the history of the sewing machine.

"Inventors in France and elsewhere in Europe were trying to invent a sewing machine in the late 1700s. Many made awkward-looking machines that could sew a few stitches. Most machines looked nothing like our modern sewing machines. The trouble was that everyone thought a machine had to make the motions that a human hand makes when sewing. They also had difficulty realizing that two threads were necessary.

In 1834, an American named Walter Hunt finally realized that two threads were needed. His machine successfully produced a lockstitch, but it could only make short lines of stitching. Hunt’s daughter persuaded him not to work at improving the machine, because she was afraid sewing machines would put thousands of women, who made their living sewing by hand, out of work.

In 1845, American farmer Elias Howe patented the first sewing machine to resemble our modern sewing machines. Howe had little success selling his invention in America and eventually sold the rights to the device to a London corset maker William Thomas who wanted Howe to come to England and refine the machine. The partnership did not succeed and by the time Howe returned to the States, he found several manufacturers, including Isaac Singer were making sewing machines, all somewhat based on his patented design. A number of lawsuits ensued. Singer and the other manufacturers won the right to keep on making the machines, but Howe made a fortune from lawsuits. Eventually, Howe, Singer, and some other manufacturers banned together in a Sewing Cartel. Singer’s machines became the most popular, especially after his company produced the treadle-operated machine which allowed sewers free hands to guide the material under the needle, while they worked the machine with their feet."

Copied from Elizabeth's blog:
http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/blo...ewing-machine/

When I see some of the beautiful things that were made in the late 1800's and early 1900's, it amazes me. Then when I use Grazilla (my treadle machine) I have a greater appreciation how our parents and their parents learned to sew.

Judy
Thank you for the history lesson and I think those are Patent models shown in the photos. The Smithsonian sold of several patent model last year I believe and unfortunately I missed out on the auction but some of Issac Singers models sold for as little as $200. I have a friend there now and she is going to tell me when and what is on the next list for their auction.

Billy
Old 06-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
I am happy that it arrived in good condition....it looks lovely in the cabinet....I don't wear perfume due to allergies...not sure what to tell you about that....the only odor in the air when I was packing her was the PB Blaster I was using on the Kenmore.....maybe it morphed into something sweet smelling....oh, and a note to all....if you use the PB Blaster quite heavily in the house-it will give you a very bad headache and other assorted side effects.....so from now on it's the garage for the petroleum products.....

Darcene
Darcene I went out to the Studio and set the machine in the treadle I have out there and low and behold it fir like a glove. So Wheeler & Wilson beds (at least the D9) fits the Singer treadles!!

Anywhoo I just knocked the dust off of the machine and started oiling it up to see if I could get it running again before I tore into it. Let me tell you after some serious oiling it was running smooth as glass!!!

I was on the phone with one of our members (that shall remain nameless ;) ) while I was oiling it up and getting it to run again and she was sooo thrilled to hear it run so smoothly!!! For a bit there it was doing some squealing and squalling before the oil got to everything it needed to.

I ran it in for about 30 minutes while talking to her and I can say that I am very excited to have this machine!! I am going to go and get some needles to use in her so I can sew something with it and see how she acts.

Thank you so much and if I think about it I will post a video of the machine on You Tube and post the link here so you guys can see the beauty in action. Maybe later on this weekend I will tear it down and service it so I can use it for my very next quilt I make.

Billy
Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Kitzone-

This is the little gem I found in all the pics for my local auction this week. I am going to the preview tomorrow evening. In addition they have two other pretty oak treadles. One is clearly a singer and the other is a mystery manufacturer for the moment. Naturally there is a pile of furniture about six feet high on top of them..which pains me a bit. Wish me luck. I want to take this one home with me.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84578.jpe  
Old 06-30-2010, 10:11 PM

billy, look on craig's lists for Louisville, KY on may 29 under sewing machines for sale. It is really old and 25 dollars. have alook and see what you think. think it says old sewing machine. I have never seen anything like this. Very interesting. it is a singer it says. I tried to copy and paste the picture, but no luck.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:52 AM

If anyone lives in the allentown/quakertown area of PA. There is a listing for a fw for $165.00 on CL.