Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Nancy O.
Hi Billy....I have a question for you regarding my 1940 Singer 201-2 bobbin case. I have been cleaning my machine and finally took the bobbin case apart. I watched very carefully to get everything back the same way. But I can't get the the ring over the bobbin case to lay flat. When I turn the wheel by hand toward me, it is hitting something under the feed dogs. I have checked my instruction book over and over and tried different things and it still hangs up. I even had DH try and help. No luck. I appreciate your help. This thread is amazing. Thanks, Nancy O.

For some reason, I can't get this site to work. Can anyone repost the link?
I have just gone through this with mine, and though most of the Singer bobbin cases are a piece of cake to reassemble, this one is a PITA. Here's the link that helped me; hope it helps you, too!!

(http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...obbin_area.pdf)

Scroll down to page 6, and good luck!!
Sorry SherriB....I couldn't get it to work either. I went to:
http://www.tfsr.org
Click on Sewing Machine Manuel on left side of page.
It will give you a list: Section 1/Section 2 (click on whatever your looking for) Great info. You will be there for a while looking.
Nancy O.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 PM

Yes, that's what I had to do also. Sha
Old 06-29-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Originally Posted by Kitzone
Shhhh.... Just wanted to let anyone interested in this White FR. I really, really love this machine. Unfortunately it's 5 1/2 hours away and I don't own a truck (I am sure it won't fit in my Honda). So if anyone lives close to Beaver, WV it might be worth your time to go to this auction on July 9th.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/au...cgi?lid=877055

I am including pictures from Treadle On website which states that this one of the most sought after cabinets.

http://www.treadleon.net/whitesm/whites.html

The only thing I request is if anyone lets this machine follow them home :) Please post pictures and tell us about your adventure at the auction.

BTW, No, I am not trying to be an enabler for those who resue treadle machines. Just "wished I lived closer" treadle stocker. LOL

Judy
We live about 1 1/2 hours from Beaver, WV so after seeing this post we are going to try and attend the auction. Anyone know what the value of this machine would be? We will try and buy it so it will stay intact. But, if any of you out there would be interested in the machine we might sell it. Since we have a house full now! We will take lots of pictures if we can and also get the serial number and the condition. Thanks for posting the auction ad. There are a number of things that have caught my DH eye too :roll: uh-ohoooooo
think you'll have a great time at the auction :thumbup: Wished I could go but I need to finish up a couple projects prior to bringing home more treasures that will make my DH shake his head and roll his eyes :roll: LOL

Please take a lot of pictures and maybe when she's settled in her new home, we might talk you into having a house warming party for her. <Grin> - Sentence translation= "We'll live our lives veraciously through you"

She looks like a real gem.

As far as price, I am very frugal, prior to going to the auction I set a price in my mind that I am willing to part with, once there I might adjust the price depending on the condition. If the machine goes higher than my set price, I am glad someone else will have the chance to enjoy it....if it's lower then .... I get to do the happy dance.

I've never left an auction disappointed.

Judy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-85113.gif  
Old 06-30-2010, 09:54 AM

Has anyone looked at this page? Seems to have a lot of info but not as much fun as talking with Billy and Charlee or anyone else that is so helpful on here.

http://sewvacdoctor.com/cate.asp?categoryID=8#954
Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 PM

Look what I found! I am emailing now and have said I want it if complete which looks like it. The serial # on the plate is 1112649, but can't those be switched out? Patent date on the plate is Pat. Aug. 2 1887.

Does anyone know how to date the New Homes?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84953.jpe   attachment-84954.jpe   attachment-84955.jpe  
Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 PM

Wow! She's beautiful... looks almost to clean for an original 1887. Did you happen to ask if any parts had been replaced and/or does it matter to you if it has been restored or not?

I think sewing machines are unique, just as the people who buy them. If you like her and can afford the asking price then all is good. If you are looking for an investment, I think Billy wrote once that sewing machines are a bad investment... unless they are free : ) Maybe someone else can offer better advice on value.

Here's some New Home Info:

http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...achine_Company

Again, she looks like a beauty. Good Luck!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Look what I found! I am emailing now and have said I want it if complete which looks like it. The serial # on the plate is 1112649, but can't those be switched out? Patent date on the plate is Pat. Aug. 2 1887.

She's a beauty hope you get her.

:D :D
Old 06-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict

According to my documents your machine was manufactured in 1892.

Lisa I swear I am going to love it when I come out to see you!! I can not believe you find these machines like these. :shock: You definitely have a knack for the good ones and I am crossing my fingers that you get the machine!!!

That is a really nice machine and a wonderful find!!!

Billy
Old 06-30-2010, 03:06 PM

The one we just lucked onto is a Singer 120U. The manual is copyright 1973, so I'm assuming that's the date of the machine as well. Table is in perfect condition and machine seems to have been quite well taken care of as well.
There were 3 plastic boxes of bobbins in the drawer as well as several attachments. Not sure what all of them are for.
According to the book, it can be adjusted to any fabric from very thin to very thick. SIL is planning to use it for leather.
The speed control is by foot, and boy can it get going...sounds like it might take off for Mars when you get going too fast. Very quiet at slower speeds!
The price was definitely right...'just come on over and pick it up'!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 PM

I've caught the bug and want to get my first treadle...can someone tell me if $40 is an ok price for this machine? I know it has a lot of silvering, missing bobbin plate & needs a belt. The cabinet appears to be in good condition. The serial # is G0709463.

Machine head
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84676[/ATTACH]

Cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84677[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84671.jpe   attachment-84672.jpe