Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
That being said, machines should NEVER be shipped in the case. There are a few people who know how to secure them in the base/case, but not many. The heavy machine winds up rattling around in the case, and you're lucky if it's only the case that's demolished. Most Ebay sellers are not used to shipping machines, and think because it's cast, it won't break. Wrong. If I absolutely MUST have a machine off the auction site, I usually send directions for packing. Sometimes they pay attention, sometimes they don't, but it's worth a try.
There are also a few sellers who specialize in machines, and have a great feedback score. Check around the site until you find them!!

Here's some information from treadleon re: shipping:

(http://treadleon.net/sewingmachinesh.../shipping.html)
I agree completely. I've gotten to the point that I only look for auction items that are within driving distance. (They are sometimes few and far between.)
If you do buy on ebay, take a look at the feedback and see what type of items they have shipped in the past. If most of their items have been books or pictures, then you need to talk to them before bidding on the item. If they have been shipping sewing machines and receiving good feedbacks, then it is probably safe to buy from them.

Another thing to be cautious about is that many times, people don't know what model of machine that they are selling. (I've seen this on ebay and on Craig's List.)
I've seen people stating that their machine is a 401 Singer, (which zigzags and has attachments) but the picture of it is a 404 (that is just a straight stitch). Before you buy, find pictures (on the internet) of the model you want or the model they say they are selling and compare the two.
Many times an ebay seller will state that their machine is a featherweight when in reality it is a 99. (99s are very heavy.)
Old 06-08-2010, 12:43 PM

I'm really not trying to be a collector. I just want them to use. I really hope two will be my limit. If not, I'm putting all the blame on you, LOL. Hope to have the machine in the next week to ten days. I hope I'm not disappointed. It wasn't cheap and I got it from eBay, but didn't use PayPal. So no recourse if it's not what I'm hoping for. Will post pics when it arrives.
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Doug I cant wait to see photos of you machine you just picked up!! You starting to get a pretty nice collection going here!!

Billy
Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 PM

QuilterGuy,

You might as well give up now....this machine virus is extremely contagious and to my knowledge there is no known cure....I say this because all I thought I wanted was a FW....After 3 years I now have four of the little wonders and I'm always looking for another.....also, the virus has mutated and I have one 15-91 and three 66-1s....I fought as long as I could but I have been taken down by this virus.....good luck to you.....
Old 06-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

And just think I started this thread to help the few and now I am an enabler!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thats right just keep on drinking the coffee!!!

Billy
Old 06-08-2010, 01:08 PM

Does the name Typhoid Billy ring any bells?????
Old 06-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
Does the name Typhoid Billy ring any bells?????
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now here is your coffee I made just for you......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

[img]http://www.reallynatural.com/archive...ee%20Lover.jpg[/img]

Billy
Old 06-08-2010, 01:42 PM

Is this a back clamp foot, if it is did it come with any attachments? I could use them. Glenn Thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Wow, you are a man of many talents my friend......thank you......and to be honest I've only bought one machine since finding this site.....all of the others came prior to that day....I may be in serious trouble here......so I don't think it is fair to hold you responsible for the machine virus....I must have picked it up at one auction or another.......
Old 06-08-2010, 01:48 PM

I know how you feel, Darcene. Most of my machines were acquired before the virtual shop opened. I am being extremely picky right now, just looking for a treadle... And considering a table for my featherweights, and... :mrgreen:
Old 06-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

Doug ~ Feel free to blame Billy all you want!!! I know I do!!!

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I'm really not trying to be a collector. I just want them to use. I really hope two will be my limit. If not, I'm putting all the blame on you, LOL. Hope to have the machine in the next week to ten days. I hope I'm not disappointed. It wasn't cheap and I got it from eBay, but didn't use PayPal. So no recourse if it's not what I'm hoping for. Will post pics when it arrives.
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Doug I cant wait to see photos of you machine you just picked up!! You starting to get a pretty nice collection going here!!

Billy