Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Banned

Sandi, you are having the worst luck here lately with shippers and sellers. I hope that you will not have to worry about getting broken machines for a while, that is just terrible!

So how did the machine fare?

Billy
Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Banned

Doug I cant wait to see photos of you machine you just picked up!! You starting to get a pretty nice collection going here!!

Billy
Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 AM

I am trying to wait patiently....I think it might be considered assault if I chased him down....he's been here today-without my package-so tomorrow may be the day.... :roll:
Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Very nice. I have my grandmother's treadle machine; but I don't use it anymore. I do oil it regularly to keep it in working order. Your machine and cabinet look just like my grandmothers.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Billy, she faired pretty well.
She's dirty and she has some scars from being used as a pin cushion on the top.
She sure is a heavy one.
I noticed that the motor is not really attached to the machine.
It appears that the motor was sorta attached only under the spoked wheel. In fact the motor is wobbily.
The motor is an Edison, not a Singer.

No matter, I want to use her as a treadle.

Machine is intact and pretty. Case is trash. No matter, it was one of those after market box kinda cases. It was real wood, but now it's kindling.

Blessings,
Sandi
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81486.jpe   attachment-81487.jpe  
Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Deara
I just opened my Singer Model 115. The bottom base is in pieces. The carry case was only surrounded by one (1) layer of 1 inch compressed styrofoam. My last two machines that came shipped, have been damaged. First one UPS and now this one by Fed Ex. I think I have seen the term if the two companies merged, it could be called Fed-Up. Just making a funny. I am a little upset.
I have to be careful who I say this to, as my husband drives for UPS, but I ALWAYS ship through the PO!! That being said, machines should NEVER be shipped in the case. There are a few people who know how to secure them in the base/case, but not many. The heavy machine winds up rattling around in the case, and you're lucky if it's only the case that's demolished. Most Ebay sellers are not used to shipping machines, and think because it's cast, it won't break. Wrong. If I absolutely MUST have a machine off the auction site, I usually send directions for packing. Sometimes they pay attention, sometimes they don't, but it's worth a try.
There are also a few sellers who specialize in machines, and have a great feedback score. Check around the site until you find them!!

Here's some information from treadleon re: shipping:

(http://treadleon.net/sewingmachinesh.../shipping.html)
Old 06-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I have to be careful who I say this to, as my husband drives for UPS, but I ALWAYS ship through the PO!! That being said, machines should NEVER be shipped in the case. There are a few people who know how to secure them in the base/case, but not many.
Darcene be sure to post photos of your machine as you unbox it to give folks an idea of what it takes to ship one. This one I shipped in a case.

Billy
Old 06-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Billy wrote: "Anne I am glad everything is working out for you and your machine sounds like it should when it was new. That is saying something about good ol' American engineering and pride!!!"

I think that is why I love the old Singers. To me, they are mechanical marvels and good ol' American engineering has made them stand the test of time.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:30 PM

I will post a step-by-step reveal.....I know without a doubt that this machine will arrive in fantastic shape and I want everyone to be able to see what it takes to ship one correctly....
Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Deara
What did we say about a 3rd grader shipping better than some of the ones that we have seen?

I just opened my Singer Model 115. The bottom base is in pieces. The carry case was only surrounded by one (1) layer of 1 inch compressed styrofoam. My last two machines that came shipped, have been damaged. First one UPS and now this one by Fed Ex. I think I have seen the term if the two companies merged, it could be called Fed-Up. Just making a funny. I am a little upset.

Sandi
I'm sorry Sandi. That is really a big disappointment. I hope this gets resolved.