Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-27-2010, 02:21 PM

Does anyone know a good price to offer for a 301 table. It's one that looks like a card table and I have to make an offer. Have not seen condition but he said it was good?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I too, am betting that it's a standard 15x1... :)

So...what does everyone consider to be "vintage"??

I just looked up my mom's machine, a Kenmore 1980 Convertible, online because I can't get the fabric to feed...(the feed dogs don't drop under the needle plate like they should) and found that it was made in, get this...1980!! :lol: Found it listed as a vintage machine! My youngest son was born in 1980, that can't POSSIBLY be vintage! (Can it?)
I belong to three Yahoo Groups for Vintage Sewing machines and they consider anything prior to 1980 a vintage. You have to remember that we are talking about sewing machines and not people.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Banned

All right, fine. I've been suckered in. I am now the proud (?) owner of a treadle. I don't know what the hell I'm going to do with it, but it's here.....

I guess someone somewhere along the line put some power to it, but I'm afraid to plug it in....and I know at the very least it needs a belt...

I don't know where to start......
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74445.jpe   attachment-74446.jpe   attachment-74447.jpe   attachment-74449.jpe  
Old 05-27-2010, 06:22 PM

Very pretty red eye Singer! It's gonna take some work to get it all cleaned up. You could just treadle it, rather than plug it in, you won't get zapped that way. lol
Sharon W
Old 05-27-2010, 07:00 PM

WOOOHOOOOO!! She's joined the fold!! I KNEW we'd get her... ~giggle~

BK..that's a pretty one! Have you look up her serial number yet? What are you going to name her? :lol:
Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 PM

That is really a pretty machine. I hope you can get it to work.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:41 PM

Okay was not going to buy any more machines right now. Let me know if this is a good deal or not. If not, I think I can pass if you tell me I can find better.

Stopped at salvation army to look for fabric, but what did I spy on a top shelf? It is Singer model 201, serial AJ336688, 15,000 allotted Jan. 9, 1950.

It is is good condition, decals in good condition with just a bit of wear on front. Some chips in the japan on the front edge. The stitch length lever is bent. It is just the head with no accessories. Fairly clean and moves very smoothly. funny thing was there was what looks like a drip of wet paint on the bottom side below the pillar but I could not see where there was anything painted. It looks like they may have put it on the wires under the motor. I did not plug it in, could it be gunk coming out of the motor? It was not slippery like a lubricant. I also could not loosen the handle to release the clutch.

They want $75 for it but this weekend it will be half price so $38. Would you buy it? Sounds like a good machine to have.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 PM

A 201? That's iffy...if it's not in primo condition, I'd hesitate, but $38 doesn't sound bad. (I paid $15 for mine, and it needed a power cord)

I'm probably not the best one to advise....I'm pretty cheap when it comes to machines! :lol:
Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
A 201? That's iffy...if it's not in primo condition, I'd hesitate, but $38 doesn't sound bad. (I paid $15 for mine, and it needed a power cord)

I'm probably not the best one to advise....I'm pretty cheap when it comes to machines! :lol:
Charlee, I need to be more selective and certainly don't need another machine until I get some of the ones I have running. I just remember reading what a workhorse the 201's are. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM

That they are Lisa! I love mine, both for piecing and I am going to check out it's ability to FMQ soon...it's actually quieter than my Janome, and just powers thru everything I've thrown at it! :)

If you're wanting a 201, then I'd get it! (says she that just bid on two Damascus heads....no treadle base, just the heads! :lol:)