Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-08-2010, 07:16 AM

Hi, Billy :-) The coffee is delicious. DH and I have just had breakfast and I am getting ready to chop some veggies for chili.

Big news: my Featherweight arrived yesterday afternoon. I bought it on eBay and the seller packed it carefully.

I want to thank you for this shop. Without it and your excellent tutorials, I would have never had the guts to order a machine --- much less attempt to do maintenance.

First order today is to use Singer oil on a small brush to clean the mechanisms. I will have to order the tube of grease online. Even DH is a bit interested in the construction of this beautiful machine. :-)

The machine runs, but seems stiff. A good cleaning is in order. I intend to use this FW. It will not be something to simply put on display.

Thanks again for everything :-) The chili will be ready by suppertime.....
Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 AM

Hi Billy, I tried that and It still snaps down and then it won't lift without my screwdriver. I tried to do it using my fingers but I'm afraid of getting hurt. Your location says you're in some Bikini"s Bottom but really, what state are you in? Anne
Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 AM

Anne,
Its been in the mid to upper 90s since about mid May. UGH! I hope Summer won't be so danged hot as we think it will be.
Sharon W.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:54 AM

I've been wondering how a hand crank works. I just watched the video. I figured you started with the crank and then it just took off on it's own. That would wear me out having to crank each and every stitch, not to mention you only have one hand to guide your fabric. Cool as they are I don't think I would be interested in one.[quote=Miz Johnny]
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
I hope I am posting correctly. I asked a question earlier, but no one answered it, so I don't know if I am posting correctly. Has anyone ever seen a featherweight with a hand crank?
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x75Py...eature=related)

Keep in mind this hand crank is not geared; it would wear me out in short order!!

I have seen 2 Featherweights converted to treadle use, and I seem to recall seeing one that had been converted to HC, but am a little fuzzy on the details.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 AM

Hi Doug,

'In the day' when handcranks were invented it was a very big boost for those who were making clothing by hand stitching everything. A handcrank sews 6 stitches to every one hand stitch.

To me, if you are good at patting your head and rubbing your stomach in circles at the same time you might just be good at hand cranking. I am sure, however, that with determination and practice that one could get the rhythm of sewing with a HC. Just maybe not for all of us.

I own two hand crank machines but as yet, have not tried sewing on them. One day though... LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 AM

LOL is right. I can pat my head and rub my tummy at the same time, but not for a long period of time. Think it would wear me out!!!

GREAT NEWS!!! I just got a Centennial Singer FW 1851-1951 from eBay! Can't wait to get it and try it out. Will probably need some cleaning and adjusting, so be on the lookout Billy. I know I will have questions. Still trying for the 1948 FW I posted pics of a ways back. Hopefully in the next week or two. Then I will have TWO and I can't wait to sew on them both. Will post pics when I get it. Woo Hoo!!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 AM

What did we say about a 3rd grader shipping better than some of the ones that we have seen?

I just opened my Singer Model 115. The bottom base is in pieces. The carry case was only surrounded by one (1) layer of 1 inch compressed styrofoam. My last two machines that came shipped, have been damaged. First one UPS and now this one by Fed Ex. I think I have seen the term if the two companies merged, it could be called Fed-Up. Just making a funny. I am a little upset.

I have taken pictures and emailed the seller. I also paid by PayPal. So something will be done. I just have to be patient and wait. I have become a learning student of patience.

Blessings,
Sandi
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81465.jpe   attachment-81466.jpe   attachment-81467.jpe  
Old 06-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Sandi,

I am so sorry....it is such a letdown when you open the package and find your new treasure in pieces...
Old 06-08-2010, 11:11 AM
EC

What a disappointment! :(
Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
Sandi,

I am so sorry....it is such a letdown when you open the package and find your new treasure in pieces...
Hey Darcene, has the post guy been around lately? You should be getting a package today or tomorrow. I am excited to see how you like the machine!!

Billy