Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
My daughter had a 730 record for about 4 years, she loved it. Before I bought it from the local Bernina dealer, the tech had to change out the nylon gear in the top of the machine. Every place that you see a drop of red paint, is an oil point, just 1 drop of oil in each spot.
She sold it to a friend and its still being used.
Sharon W.

That's right Sharon......I had forgotten about the red paint spots, thanks for jolting my memory. The oil bottle had a long metal tip so you could reach every red spot. I bought my 730 brand new in May 1971.

Bronwyn ;-)[/quote]

Glad to help jar the brain cells. Kim(dd) got her 730 for her 16th birthday in 2003, the serial # indicates it was made in 1966. She learned to sew on my Bernina 1031, so I ruined the girl for any other brand of machine. She has two 930's and makes lots of costumes, so her machines really get used lots.
Sharon
Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Stay off Craigslist!
Lotus coffin top $175
Davis Honeymoon $300
401 $125
Eldridge Two Spools in a beautiful cabinet and with pretty decals for $100
15? in a coffin top $100
15? in a beautiful cabinet $150 - this one may have been a treadle
My favorite - A Rocketeer in a cabinet for $100.
Irishrose, If that Eldridge Two Spools is close to you and you don't own a Two Spools, then you need that machine! A must!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy I love the new photo shop, I just hope it stays a photo shop! It would be nice if people use it only to post pictures and descriptions. If everyone starts commenting on the machines in the photo shop, it will become just like this side!

Nancy
I agree! Billy can you delete the comments and just keep the posted pictures with the descriptions.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by irishrose
Stay off Craigslist!
Lotus coffin top $175
Davis Honeymoon $300
401 $125
Eldridge Two Spools in a beautiful cabinet and with pretty decals for $100
15? in a coffin top $100
15? in a beautiful cabinet $150 - this one may have been a treadle
My favorite - A Rocketeer in a cabinet for $100.
Irishrose, If that Eldridge Two Spools is close to you and you don't own a Two Spools, then you need that machine! A must!
I found the posting to that Two Spools. OMG! Go get that machine! You will love it for piecing those pretty quilts you make, and that cabinet is gorgeous. It looks like the cabinet that Nancy has for her Two Spools.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 PM

It does look to be in good condition. TC is an easy 50 miles, but I don't need two treadles. I know, buy the Two Spools and sell the Leader.

Buslady, there are 2 machines for $30 in Weidman. Do you have to go Mt Pleasant again soon?
Old 06-17-2011, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy I love the new photo shop, I just hope it stays a photo shop! It would be nice if people use it only to post pictures and descriptions. If everyone starts commenting on the machines in the photo shop, it will become just like this side!

Nancy
Nancy, people don't read details like that. But, it is a beautiful album to look at. I've stopped in there four times already, since it's been posted.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh here is a place for us to document our machines, a place where we can post photos and the pertinent information about them. Like the serial, make, model, etc. We can still discuss them over here in the shop but I want a place so we can build a data base of machines so we can identify ones that we score down the road.

Here is the link......

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm

Billy
Yet another Great Idea Billy. I agree that this should be photos only, save the comments to be posted here in the VSMS. Should we each just keep adding to our own original post as we accumulate, or make separate entries? I'm thinking about how I have my photo files - 66's, treadles, clones, by brand, etc. If we edit, it won't go to our mail boxes (for those of us who use that feature), but we can make a new comment on these pages that we've posted new photos in the data base. If we make new posts each time, we'll get to see them immediately -ish. (Do you follow this gibberish?) How should we post so that the information will be searchable, I guess is one of the things I'm trying to say.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Nobody has any info on the Singer Industrial longarm machine I asked about? Wow. I am shocked.
i found a machine last fall that i was told was an industrial and have had a hard time finding info on it, as well. i am anxious to work on it now that weather will allow me to work outdoors. it has a large/long arm space and will be a great quilter if i ever get her cleaned up, she looks pretty sad right now. i would love to share any info either of us are able to find. point is, the great people of the vqms didnt have much info on that machine either. maybe you and i can become the "go to guys" for those some day. LOL! good luck as you search. ive actually enjoyed it, but still nothing. but, i have terrible internet at home so do good to read the pages here, much less spend time browsing. we live in an internet "dead" zone. (very sad face, here).
Old 06-17-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
And maybe the belt. Do you know where I can get these items? Since I have no idea of how the shuttle looks like or how long the bobbin is, I am on hold. I don't want to do any work on the cabinet till I know I can get these parts.
Well, we have established for sure that your machine was made by National and there are a couple people here who have a similar machine. It is too bad you aren't close enough to try one of their shuttles to see what the exact measurement is of the shuttle. Other than that, I'd watch e-bay and do some searching of the vintage shops for a shuttle and bobbin. The belts are all 72", you just cut and fit to your machine.

Nancy
Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Well, my 403 sews with out a cam... Shouldn't be any different on a 503 - test it out just for giggles and let me know - It sure doesn't zig zag without a cam.
Miriam, I think I will just take your word for it and leave my cam in the 503a. I love that machine too much to do anything that I think would be harmful. I know I read to never sew without a cam, so I am just going to leave it at that! Thanks for the information.

Nancy