Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1791 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 791 1291 1691 1741 1781 1790 1791 1792 LastLast
Results 44,751 to 44,775 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Usually I would consider that a "drill bit". I guess whatever works.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Blog Entries
    Again, a sewing machine's value is totally based upon what someone is willing to pay. For me, prior to collecting, the free arm option was critical. How a machine sews, the ease of use, and dependability remain core value tick boxes. It is all in the eye of the buyer.
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    Is this considered a "press fit" spool pin? Found on my Singer 23
    When I got this machine I thought the spool pin was kind of short, but it was finished on the end, so I thought I must be wrong. Then I took the top off and here is what I found, I am sure it was pressed in.
    Necessity being the mother of invention, lol. Perhaps they didn't have a chopstick?

Cari

Blog Entries
    Okay. Cleaning up a Singer 15-91 and the motor grease tubes are totally disgusting. Am in the process of cleaning them out and will use vaseline, aka petroleum jelly, as the replacement grease. Just how do I get the jelly into the grease tubes? Do not care about mess but this will be a gift for a beginner sewist so would like to do this for her as well as gifting her with a screwdriver that will work on most of the screws. So please offer some real life advice and not the TFSR manual which I have studied but found to be actual very little help with this regard. Thanks in advance.

Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

It got kind of messy but I used my finger. One fingertip full at a time until they were full.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Okay. Cleaning up a Singer 15-91 and the motor grease tubes are totally disgusting. Am in the process of cleaning them out and will use vaseline, aka petroleum jelly, as the replacement grease. Just how do I get the jelly into the grease tubes? Do not care about mess but this will be a gift for a beginner sewist so would like to do this for her as well as gifting her with a screwdriver that will work on most of the screws. So please offer some real life advice and not the TFSR manual which I have studied but found to be actual very little help with this regard. Thanks in advance.

Chris
    I now use non medical syringes you can get on line, but you can put some grease in a heavy duty (freezer) ziplock bag and snip just the very tip and use it like a piping bag for cooking. When you are done, you can either throw it out, or put it in another ziplock bag.
    If you are rebuilding the motor and have it down that far, I would recommend some Triflow clear grease instead of the Vaseline.
    Grant.

I had a bear of a time with my 201-2, with that potted motor, I got all I could get in there with my finger too. The piping bag sounds like a really good idea, wish I would have thought of that then, may go back and see what I can get in there one more time.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    If you are rebuilding the motor and have it down that far, I would recommend some Triflow clear grease instead of the Vaseline.
    Grant.
    Grant I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Tri Flows web site touts their clear grease as a non melting grease and in this particular application that's exactly what you DO want. The grease in a potted motor has to melt to be wicked up to the gear it's supposed to protect.

Cari

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for the suggestions. The piping bag idea sounds good. I am not rebuilding the motor but doing a thorough cleaning for the young sewist. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    Grant I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Tri Flows web site touts their clear grease as a non melting grease and in this particular application that's exactly what you DO want. The grease in a potted motor has to melt to be wicked up to the gear it's supposed to protect.

Cari
    Thank you for bringing that up Cari. I am pretty sure there was a discussion here (possibly a different forum) a while back on this subject. Many people that I respect were talking about what lube to use. It was like the story of the three little bears. Topics were Viscosity, melting or flow characteristics, Lubricating quality, etc. When ever a different topic came up, one was good, better, and best. All had good qualities. What I took away from the conversation was, White grease came in last, Petroleum jelly was second and Triflow was first. If I remember correctly, the Petroleum jelly was too thin and would melt and flow at a higher rate causing an excess of lubricant inside of the motor. There was some talk about a quote on Triflow's page, but I thought that there was also another conflicting statement there as well. Saying that it was safe. I believe the question of it's flow properties came up when someone said that the teflon would clog the wicks themselves. The amount of teflon in triflow is so small it would be time to change the grease wicks before they would clog.
    Does anyone else remember this conversation?
    ~Grant~

Grant there's been discussions about this on several forums over the years. Actually Tammy just recently did an actual test of different lubes here on QB. Old Singer guys still say vaseline is the best thing to substitute for the original Singer lube. What I've taken away from all the discussion is there is very little heat from the machine itself, so the need is for a low melting point lube.
    Confession time. It's been almost 6 years since I got my 201-2. I was a total newbie to working on sewing machines and this was my first Singer. I had read all the discussions at the time and what I recalled that stood out was people were talking about how much better it was to use Tri Flow grease because it stays put on gears. Today I know that's not appropriate in this particular instance but back then I knew nothing. So I went to a hardware store and they sold me a white grease saying it's the same thing as TriFlow. And that's what's still in my 201. Only because I can't get the darned motor off of it to clean it all out and replace the wicks. My pretty Elizabeth is the first machine going to get a complete spa day once my new shop gets built, hopefully soon!

Cari

Thank you for clearing that up. I had not seen the test Tammy did. I am probably going to change my ways then.
    Thank you.
    Grant.

Blog Entries
    Grant;

Thanks for the baggie trick with the Vaseline. I finished cleaning out the old crud and refilled the pots this morning. Very simple and easy but I know next time I need a lot less Vaseline in the baggie than I had this morning. I appreciate everybody's wisdom on this board and their willingness to share their experiences.

Was asked today if I had any FWs and if they were for sale. I said I had two. Woman then asked me if I'd sell her both for $100 total. I just wanted to know what she'd been smoking at that point. I politely declined and left the quilting shop quickly.

I guess it never hurts to ask...
    Rodney

Blog Entries
    Rodney, that is true but it is also an insult since I'm fairly certain she knows the going price of FWs these days. Now, she could buy a couple of 15s for $100 total and I'd be thrilled as would DH and DDs. It takes all kinds, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Grant;

Thanks for the baggie trick with the Vaseline. I finished cleaning out the old crud and refilled the pots this morning. Very simple and easy but I know next time I need a lot less Vaseline in the baggie than I had this morning. I appreciate everybody's wisdom on this board and their willingness to share their experiences.
    You are welcome. It really works well. I am glad I could help.
    Grant.

My young friend has now acquired a Singer Redeye and a 1916 99 as well. And the guy was asking $50 for the machine. With my advice, she got it down to $10. We are looking for a manual for the 99. Since it is 1916, its not quite the same as the younger ones. Too bad we live too far away or we'd be working on them everyday. I hope she joins this forum but I know she is crazy busy.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Any one know where I would begin to look for a motor for this machine by chance? I had someone fix it I thought, but today when I filled a bobbin on it , it started to smoke and obviously doesn't work anymore.
    Thanks Myra
    Children leave footprints on your heart that last a liftime.

Binkister: Which machine? If it's just a regular sewing machine motor SewClassic.com has them with and without controllers.
    Rodney

Hi Rodney, It is the one in the picture, I am not sure whether u call this one just a regular one or not . thanks Myra

Blog Entries
    Looks like a potted motor, not sure if you can buy them new.You may have to rebuild it yourself. Maybe you should take it back to the person who fixed it for you.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Here is a picture of the back and motor of the mahine. I don't know anything about this machine, I had bought it to just do straight stitch and learn how to quilt. and the Numbers on the front are AF712744. I don't think the man can fix it , he had a hard time working on it when I took it to him to oil and get running after it sitting in the garage for a while after I had bought it off craigslist a few years ago. Looking for somone else I can take it to to get it running. I live in Fulton,Ms.

I doubt potted motors are available new. I would be really surprised if they are.
    The smoke is troublesome. It depends on the cause. If the windings are fried then you're going to need a new motor. The only way to know is to take it apart and look at it.
    Rodney

I'm new here. I was told on a Facebook group that several people have created a Davis database. I can't find it. If someone could post a link I would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katniss Sage View Post
    I'm new here. I was told on a Facebook group that several people have created a Davis database. I can't find it. If someone could post a link I would appreciate it.
    Hi,

Welcome to the QB.

Here's a list of Davis warranties and Bill of Sales from the Needlebar. Hasn't been updated in a few years:

http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.php/Davis

There's another list on the Davis VF Yahoo group that is more current but you'd need to join the group and search the "Database". This list only has the Vertical Feeds.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/davis_vf/info

Jon
    Last edited by jlhmnj; 12-30-2015 at 09:21 PM.